DnB underground dnb is threatened by poppy dnb: marcus intalex

It's all subjective, can't see how it harms us at all.

I agree with the fact that new fans keep the scene healthy and alive, but...

as soon as there's more superficial fans (people who follow the trends and hitlists) than real
fans, everything will change. As said before, for producers, djs and promotors it's their job. If there's more
superficial than real fans, almost everyone will eventually do a Fresh and ban quality music from
their life to make, play and book gash. If you reach a thousand with proper dnb and a million
with gash, what do you think will happen...?

Just look at what's happening with dubstep.

as soon as there's more superficial fans (people who follow the trends and hitlists) than real
fans, everything will change. As said before, for producers, djs and promotors it's their job. If there's more
superficial than real fans, almost everyone will eventually do a Fresh and ban quality music from
their life to make, play and book gash. If you reach a thousand with proper dnb and a million

If you're serious about your love with music, you won't fall for them trends and will keep making/putting out the same stuff you feel the most (this one goes for producers/label owners). Also, your point fails at the matter of thousands of fans/DJs who will refuse to listen to/play out the commercial/cheesy stuff and will keep the "underground" scene alive, while at least a fair few of those superficial fans will sooner or later join them as they discover the depths of the genre. I can see this happening in here, where there's hardly any strong history of the genre. About 10 years ago, you would bring an underground producer and you'll end up broke, because there would be like 10 people to show up at the very best. Nowadays, promoters can easily afford to bring in pretty much anyone they like because there are enough heads to attend the party and make it profitable enough for the promoters to keep going.

Superficial? How does one become a proper fan from the beginning then, is there a club you must join? But seriously, everyone has to start somewhere, some people only follow trends. As I said previously, some might stay and educate themselves, trend followers will come and go.

Not everyone wants the success of Fresh tho, loads of DNB producers are happy making underground DNB and there be loads more to come yet.

Pendulum was massive, has it had an advise effect on our scene? I think the answer is no.

Dubstep, well that's a whole different discussion.

Last edited:
Superficial? How does one become a proper fan from the beginning then, is there a club you must join? But seriously, everyone has to start somewhere, some people only follow trends. As I said previously, some might stay and educate themselves, trend followers will come and go.

Not everyone wants the success of Fresh tho, loads of DNB producers are happy making underground DNB and there be loads more to come yet.

Pendulum was massive, has it had an advise effect on our scene? I think the answer is no.

Dubstep, well that's a whole different discussion.

Aren't you releasing Fresh's new single? lol

The label I work for is yes, and your point? Have I put Fresh in a bad light for saying success in the same sentence or something?

I thought you were saying it from the "underground perspective". I like the tune anyway.

Anyway I'll go along with the all music is subjective rardy dah, I just like what I like and that'll do me :teeth:

Nowadays, promoters can easily afford to bring in pretty much anyone they like because there are enough heads to attend the party and make it profitable enough for the promoters to keep going.

No.

This entirely depends on where you are to be honest. Somewhere like London yes, but in the more remote locations you can't just book whoever you want as there isn't the market for it.

"Sorry" but that´s complete and utter you know what. Don´t make me explain please, just let it be.

And I´m not saying that because you were just born then :teeth:

As far as im aware, and in my opinion, that tune is a stain on Surburban Bases catalogue that no raver actually wanted, and it had huge commercial success. Sounds strangely familiar.

No.

This entirely depends on where you are to be honest. Somewhere like London yes, but in the more remote locations you can't just book whoever you want as there isn't the market for it.

Hence why I put "in here" into the previous sentence ;) I'm not familiar with the progress in the UK scene obviously, but the fact is that in my country the scene has never been better than it is today. As I said, 10 years ago you had no chance to see let's say anyone but Aphrodite or Andy C. Of course you get twice or three times as much people showing up for basically any Hospital artist/Hospitality night than for someone like Icicle or Mortem. But it's always gonna be like this and - according to what most people are saying in here - should stay like this.

As for the variation and quality of the tunes that are being put out at the moment, you all know there's more than enough variety and there's more than enough really great releases. It's all about searching and finding. The problem isn't in the scene itself, it's in you as you've been into the scene for so long it keeps you satisfied no more, but that's also a normal thing.

As far as im aware, and in my opinion, that tune is a stain on Surburban Bases catalogue that no raver actually wanted, and it had huge commercial success. Sounds strangely familiar.

Your opinion - fine. :) BUT..no Raver actually wanted..did you make a survey on this one? Let me quote this guy from discogs who pretty much nailed it:

It's easy to criticise this release, but it really must be looked at in the context of its time..

Joey Beltram remixed this, Krome & Time..they just left out the children singing the sesame street theme. Even the original doesn´t sound more or less commercial than let´s say Prodigy´s Charlie and others.

Also comparing Luna C (who was one of the guys behind this) with Skrillex is a joke.

According to Luna-C of Smart E's, “It was good, because now our music was getting the recognition it deserved, but it was crap, because the money men forced it to be less than it was trying to be."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame's_Treet

The group then produced a track sampling the theme from Sesame Street entitled "Sesame's Treet". At the time, many hardcore tracks sampled what could be considered silly things, and as Chris recalls, "[T]he hardcore scene had a sense of humour".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna-C

If people think it was better in the past..what´s the problem really?

Woah..Technique has gone down the himalaya over the years (IMO, so fuck off)

In contrast to those:

It´s a shame really.

Good point

There's always been underground tracks that have crossed over, Shake Your Body, LK, Bodyrock, there has always been poppy/cheesey dnb.

There is an influx of tunes that maybe perceived that they have been charts, but that can only be a good thing imo, brings in new fans etc.

Yes but its never been this bad for poppy/cheesey dnb. Bring in new fans, what 20% underground 80% commercial ? Just think where the scene will end up ino its all good for you record labels but for the scene in general its not healthy, Its becoming a laughing stock

Nobody wants every video release turning out like the ones i posted. Have a real good think about it

That's a Electro House track, and it's so far away from being a poppy dnb track.

But...

It's all subjective, can't see how it harms us at all. If it brings in new fans in that's great! It's so easy to educate yourself on the the history of dnb now, it's at your finger tips, full label cats on YouTube etc, There's more label nights then there ever has been! Hell I got in into dnb via Jungle Mania Tapes, I believe I have a wide selection of taste in music, I even have younger friends showing me shit now!

We need new fans, or the music will get old, stale and boring, just like we need new producers. The old times are great, they ain't going away, was there the last time I checked, Drum & Bass needs to evolve and is bloody great at doing it!

Iv'e seen and done a lot in DNB, it's been a major part of my life...

But I think we all get ever so slightly deluded at times - IMO Drum & Bass isn't broke, it doesn't need fixing. You've got to focus on what makes you happy and run with it.

Music should be fun, sometimes I feel passion gets in the way of that...

Exactly! Whats RAM doing releasing Electro house for? lol I can see its not going down to well with the fans tho by the looks of the top comments on the youtube video, so im not the only one who thinks it

Is that what its came down to now we are being compared to Dubstep lol

I can just see it now Andy C b2b Skrillex

Aren't you releasing Fresh's new single? lol

lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point

Yes but its never been this bad for poppy/cheesey dnb. Bring in new fans, what 20% underground 80% commercial ? Just think where the scene will end up ino its all good for you record labels but for the scene in general its not healthy, Its becoming a laughing stock

Nobody wants every video release turning out like the ones i posted. Have a real good think about it

If that 20% stay off the back of a poppy track, that's fantastic imo, what is they didn't stay? What if as of now, DNB gained no new fans, ask yourself that?

Exactly! Whats RAM doing releasing Electro house for? lol I can see its not going down to well with the fans tho by the looks of the top comments on the youtube video, so im not the only one who thinks it

But my point was it's not DNB and therefore can't be classed as poppy dnb right, regardless of it being released by Ram or not. Previous to this we have released Breakbeat, Dubstep, and will continue to release what we think is good dance music. We haven't wrapped this track up in a present and said here have a Drum & bass record to the public.

drum & bass is an elitist scene full of ignorant people - let the flamewar begin !

I got into dnb through Pendulum, yeah I don't like the cheesy Hospital stuff, or Delta Heavy on RAM or screechstep or whatever, but I don't need to listen to it? There are loads of nights for the heads, of course you have your wankstep raves too, but If you're going to that it's your own fault.

The DnB scene is healthy as fuck right now, Yes, there is a lot of cheese going around, so what? No need to be a dick about it, just don't listen to it, I'm sure there are loads of people that like it.

drum & bass is an elitist scene full of ignorant people - let the flamewar begin !

I got into dnb through Pendulum, yeah I don't like the cheesy Hospital stuff, or Delta Heavy on RAM or screechstep or whatever, but I don't need to listen to it? There are loads of nights for the heads, of course you have your wankstep raves too, but If you're going to that it's your own fault.

The DnB scene is healthy as fuck right now, Yes, there is a lot of cheese going around, so what? No need to be a dick about it, just don't listen to it, I'm sure there are loads of people that like it.

Pretty much this (apart from that "I don't like sentence") :D

If that 20% stay off the back of a poppy track, that's fantastic imo, what is they didn't stay? What if as of now, DNB gained no new fans, ask yourself that?

We both know Drum & Bass will always pull in new fans. But if i had to ask myself would i prefer no new fans to 20% Commercial of course im going to say no new fans. I like my dnb underground and im not out to make money but as a money maker i totally understand you would want to aim sales towards the new area of kids. Sadly tho this involves alot of poppy sounding tracks imo

But my point was it's not DNB and therefore can't be classed as poppy dnb right, regardless of it being released by Ram or not. Previous to this we have released Breakbeat, Dubstep, and will continue to release what we think is good dance music. We haven't wrapped this track up in a present and said here have a Drum & bass record to the public.

My point is tho Ram is a massive drum and bass label and a very respected label. For us to be hearing tracks like Empire from Delta Heavy is very dissapointing to say the least. I would say this track is aimed towards a more commercial crowd rather than the dnb heads thats just my opinon tho. Im looking forward to seeing which direction Ram go in next but im sure there's lots more hits to come. Im waiting for another Turbulence or Stomp kind of vibe one can wish

Do you listen to knife party?. The dnb scene is healthy as fuck yeah it is for the commercial crowd !

IT'S OK DAGZ. IF YOU DON'T LIKE A PARTICULAR LABELS OUTPUT DON'T LISTEN TO IT. I'M PRETTY SURE RAM WON'T SEND A HITSQUAD ROUND IF YOU DON'T BUY DELTA HEAVY'S LATEST SINGLE.

IT'S OK DAGZ. IF YOU DON'T LIKE A PARTICULAR LABELS OUTPUT DON'T LISTEN TO IT. I'M PRETTY SURE RAM WON'T SEND A HITSQUAD ROUND IF YOU DON'T BUY DELTA HEAVY'S LATEST SINGLE.

Its ok its free anyway ;)

Back
Top Bottom