Ulterior Motive launch new label - Guidance Music

Rating 3 out of 4 tunes on this, but Walnuts and the Kemal/Underfire style one are the best
Not feeling OneTwo7

Much more like it from UM, this is why I used to buy everything they made

Last edited:
bit of DLR-style funk coming...

plus this:

Guidance
Black label.
Ltd Ed hand stamped vinyl.
Gdnce008

Trip Hammer is fucken excellent! I'm so happy that these guys are back on this tip. Hopefully the 98% of other producers who produce the souless over produced disposable neuro take note, realise the error of their ways, & come back to this foundation. I doubt it tho sadly...

Kinda agree with Rhythm a wee bit in some ways, DLR has never written a tune this good except that colab with he did with Kid Drama & UM on Convex. So not an ideal reference bro, but as with everything it's all in the eye of the beholder after all :)

Having listened through headphones they're both solid, Intuition better bassline, Trip Hammer better drums
I always find myself wishing these new techy tunes had more natural flow to the drums, like this;

Still like these new UM bits though, they're getting back to some good form

Normally not that into recent ulterior motive stuff but this is sick. Also this isn’t dlr-style funk, it’s matrix-style funk (I understand your comment but you know as well as I do who should get the credit ;))

Couldn't agree more. You could argue considering UM released before Octane & DLR that actually this is UM-style (if it wasn't just something that has transitioned from Matrix) which they have been doing since Infrasonic.

plus this:

Guidance
Black label.
Ltd Ed hand stamped vinyl.
Gdnce008

View attachment 8899

Longer audio and coming around 16th August

A1. Ulterior Motive - Trip Hammer
B1. Quadrant, Iris & Ulterior Motive - Intuition

GDNCE008

I believe this guy's releasing a full EP around 27th September. Guidance 009

A1. Tyrone - Severance (EP)
A2. Tyrone - Beg Of U
B1. Tyrone - Lost Witness
B2. Tyrone & Ulterior Motive - Velvet

images

Guidance have been OK at 33 so far...not the best but playable compared to others

sparse old skool d&b with breaks and little subs sounds ok at 33rpm, but very modern high definition tracks with big bass like tyrone, jubei and ulterior motive sounds terrible and doesnt do the quality of the production justice AT ALL imo

these e.p's are more like posters that hipsters hang on their walls than dj material.

Not sure if it's just me, but this year everything released on Guidance seems to be a distant second in comparison to the actual Ulterior Motive releases. The Ulterior Motive EP & the Trip Hammer/Intuition single are amazing. These other releases are good, but not near as good as the UM releases

True. Was about to say: so you mean the vinyl releases. But I forgot about the Tyrone EP, which is easily forgotten about.

Heard Icicle playing this beast below on 1 of his radio shows and would snapped it up if it got a pressing, but yet another passes me by. Also for me: J'Understan > every vinyl release on 1985 Music this year, unfortunately

True. Was about to say: so you mean the vinyl releases. But I forgot about the Tyrone EP, which is easily forgotten about.

Heard Icicle playing this beast below on 1 of his radio shows and would snapped it up if it got a pressing, but yet another passes me by. Also for me: J'Understan > every vinyl release on 1985 Music this year, unfortunately

Yeah I reckon the Lovely, Never and Kiril releases were all good enough for pressings, this label is nothing but quality

Back
Top Bottom