Ulterior Motive going their separate ways

pretty sure he lives in Australia now...and makes and plays terrible tunes (compared to what they/he used to make and play)
Yeah, he’s a bad Culture Shock ripoff now

also London Elektricity is saying he’s calling it quits on making music for awhile after having some major surgery

Last edited:
Amoss and June Miller too

Not heard any of the latter's solo projects though

Mark from June Miller does solo stuff as ABIS, but I can't say it's my cuppa. In my head it all falls into the same RAM-esque, hyper-produced vibe which doesn't do anything for me musically. Love him as a person, but sadly it's an entirely different wavelength vibe-wise.

I'd selfishly hope he'd put some deeper ones out like June Miller used to waaaaay back, but that's never gonna happen now is it 😭

I'd selfishly hope he'd put some deeper ones out like June Miller used to waaaaay back, but that's never gonna happen now is it 😭

Me too mate. I loved that minimal vibe they were on way back when. I lost interest when they started making tearout stuff, as I felt like some of it was a poor mans Mefjus. There were still 1 or 2 decent tunes though.

I had some old mixes that were full of gold, although they've been lost since. Loxy, June Miller & Anile D&BTV set was a percy.

Ulterior Motive had the unique skill, with the exception of S.P.Y., of making the most forgettable amazing tunes.

Only tune I own from them on vinyl is 'Right here', which is an amazing tune with staying power.

Ulterior Motive had the unique skill, with the exception of S.P.Y., of making the most forgettable amazing tunes.

Only tune I own from them on vinyl is 'Right here', which is an amazing tune with staying power.

I get what you mean.

If someone tells me to name 5 UM tunes, I'd start with Seven Segments then spend about 5 minutes trying to remember the other tracks.
They've made some absolute bangers though tbh.

My question is... has any group gone solo and their individual output was better than when previously in the group?

I can't think of an example where someone Started in a group and made better music individually.

Calyx comes to mind (individual works prior to collaborating with TeeBee)

if memory serves "Leviathan" is all Larry, as is "Illusions" (and loads of other tunes that are so good they make me wanna slap my granny with a lamp.)

not sure how much this counts but Keaton did the remix of "Gateman" that's the audible equivalent of summoning demons in the best way possible.

Don't think so neither...
😍

Although I do like some of the Abis stuff (and also the label he runs with Imanu, Dividid), it couldn't be further away from that.

hmmmm, not sure about that. Sure, they weren't all stayers but Sideways, Hey Judas, Get Close (secret little roller that one), Jungle Jam, Radian, Obsession rmx, MIR, Tape Pack, Inta National, Longshot, Featherweight, Frozen Sky, Lost Contact, Right Here (as you said), Catharsis, Seven Segments and 2098 (just from what I own on vinyl) are tunes I have played a bit/heaps and are memorable. Kinda agree with SPY comment a little, but I could make an even longer list of the tunes he's made that had staying power too

What's the difference between jam and marmalade?
IMG_20210127_090502.jpg

hmmmm, not sure about that. Sure, they weren't all stayers but Sideways, Hey Judas, Get Close (secret little roller that one), Jungle Jam, Radian, Obsession rmx, MIR, Tape Pack, Inta National, Longshot, Featherweight, Frozen Sky, Lost Contact, Right Here (as you said), Catharsis, Seven Segments and 2098 (just from what I own on vinyl) are tunes I have played a bit/heaps and are memorable. Kinda agree with SPY comment a little, but I could make an even longer list of the tunes he's made that had staying power too
In my opinion Ulterior Motive's album on Metalheadz, The Fourth Wall, is one of the best dnb albums of the last 10 years. Most tunes on it slap for one reason or another, and it's actually great to listen to from start to finish.

And while we're at it, I'd say Need For Mirrors output improved after they broke up too.

IMO Ulterior Motive were stand out artists from the very beginning when they had their first release on Subtitles. The following couple of years went on to prove how strong they really were. When they went their seperate ways with Subtitles & began a relationship with Metalheadz I was a bit worried because I loved their old original sound. But as the many months past they proved themselves to be one of the very few artists who were able to re-invent themselves & evolve to produce a new sound which was as good if not better than before. I'm struggling to think of another artist who has done that successfully....

Their catalogue wasn't huge on Headz but it was very strong, then they went off the radar for a bit before starting their Guidance label. I take my hat off to them again for how they tackled their own imprint, some of those first few Guidance releases were top notch. They somewhat harked back to their original sound, which at the time (& still now) was a breath of fresh air in an environment were 99% of neurofunk is utter garbage.

For me they are right up their with some of the best dnb producers of the last decade or so, & I'll always have a huge amount of respect for them

IMO Ulterior Motive were stand out artists from the very beginning when they had their first release on Subtitles. The following couple of years went on to prove how strong they really were. When they went their seperate ways with Subtitles & began a relationship with Metalheadz I was a bit worried because I loved their old original sound. But as the many months past they proved themselves to be one of the very few artists who were able to re-invent themselves & evolve to produce a new sound which was as good if not better than before. I'm struggling to think of another artist who has done that successfully....

Their catalogue wasn't huge on Headz but it was very strong, then they went off the radar for a bit before starting their Guidance label. I take my hat off to them again for how they tackled their own imprint, some of those first few Guidance releases were top notch. They somewhat harked back to their original sound, which at the time (& still now) was a breath of fresh air in an environment were 99% of neurofunk is utter garbage.

For me they are right up their with some of the best dnb producers of the last decade or so, & I'll always have a huge amount of respect for them

True and very well put

I loved that they explored slightly different paths occasionally too, with this rhythmic persy

:applause:

Back
Top Bottom