Ulterior Motive going their separate ways

elspectro29

Drunk Pokemon
VIP Junglist
pretty sure he lives in Australia now...and makes and plays terrible tunes (compared to what they/he used to make and play)
Yeah, he’s a bad Culture Shock ripoff now

also London Elektricity is saying he’s calling it quits on making music for awhile after having some major surgery

hazdaman100

Bum 'n Face
VIP Junglist
Last edited:

Alegria

Tune ID geek
Amoss and June Miller too

Not heard any of the latter's solo projects though

Mark from June Miller does solo stuff as ABIS, but I can't say it's my cuppa. In my head it all falls into the same RAM-esque, hyper-produced vibe which doesn't do anything for me musically. Love him as a person, but sadly it's an entirely different wavelength vibe-wise.

I'd selfishly hope he'd put some deeper ones out like June Miller used to waaaaay back, but that's never gonna happen now is it 😭

sam the dnb man

Variation
VIP Junglist
I'd selfishly hope he'd put some deeper ones out like June Miller used to waaaaay back, but that's never gonna happen now is it 😭

Me too mate. I loved that minimal vibe they were on way back when. I lost interest when they started making tearout stuff, as I felt like some of it was a poor mans Mefjus. There were still 1 or 2 decent tunes though.

I had some old mixes that were full of gold, although they've been lost since. Loxy, June Miller & Anile D&BTV set was a percy.

808 Dnb

VIP Junglist
Ulterior Motive had the unique skill, with the exception of S.P.Y., of making the most forgettable amazing tunes.

Only tune I own from them on vinyl is 'Right here', which is an amazing tune with staying power.

sam the dnb man

Variation
VIP Junglist
Ulterior Motive had the unique skill, with the exception of S.P.Y., of making the most forgettable amazing tunes.

Only tune I own from them on vinyl is 'Right here', which is an amazing tune with staying power.

I get what you mean.

If someone tells me to name 5 UM tunes, I'd start with Seven Segments then spend about 5 minutes trying to remember the other tracks.
They've made some absolute bangers though tbh.

melody

admin
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
My question is... has any group gone solo and their individual output was better than when previously in the group?

I can't think of an example where someone Started in a group and made better music individually.

Calyx comes to mind (individual works prior to collaborating with TeeBee)

if memory serves "Leviathan" is all Larry, as is "Illusions" (and loads of other tunes that are so good they make me wanna slap my granny with a lamp.)

not sure how much this counts but Keaton did the remix of "Gateman" that's the audible equivalent of summoning demons in the best way possible.

Dischdl

VIP Junglist
Don't think so neither...
😍

Although I do like some of the Abis stuff (and also the label he runs with Imanu, Dividid), it couldn't be further away from that.

rythmatix

VIP Junglist

hmmmm, not sure about that. Sure, they weren't all stayers but Sideways, Hey Judas, Get Close (secret little roller that one), Jungle Jam, Radian, Obsession rmx, MIR, Tape Pack, Inta National, Longshot, Featherweight, Frozen Sky, Lost Contact, Right Here (as you said), Catharsis, Seven Segments and 2098 (just from what I own on vinyl) are tunes I have played a bit/heaps and are memorable. Kinda agree with SPY comment a little, but I could make an even longer list of the tunes he's made that had staying power too

Top Bottom