UK record labels to sue song-swap pirates

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by mesh, Oct 7, 2004.

1. mesh

mesh Active Member

UK record labels to sue song-swap pirates

Thursday October 7, 2004

Record companies in the UK are for the first time to sue music fans who download tracks illegally from the internet.
    The British Phonographic Industry, the trade body for record labels in the UK, is to announce at a press conference today it will take legal action against those who make their record collections available on the web for others to copy.

It is following in the footsteps of US labels that sparked a huge row last year after a 12-year-old schoolgirl in New York was sued for downloading songs and ended up paying £12,000 in an out of court settlement.

She was one of more than 200 people sued in America.

The BPI hopes that by going after so-called "uploaders" - those who make digital music files available to others via file-sharing programmes such as Kazaa and Grokster - it will be able to win the PR fight as well as the legal battle.

The trade body is expected to argue that it plans to target a hardcore 15% of uploaders who are responsible for 75% of all illegal file-sharing on the internet.

But some of those caught up in the legal action are likely to be surprised by the move because anyone signing up to file-sharing programmes automatically makes their own library available to others.

The BPI will point to figures showing that seven in 10 people now know that file-sharing is illegal and are aware of the legal alternatives such as Apple's iTunes and Napster and new services offered from the likes of Coca-Cola, Microsoft, Oxfam and Woolworths.

Record labels believe it is essential to establish file-sharing as illegal in the minds of the public as portable music players such as the iPod become mass market consumer items.

Today's announcement follows a BPI warning in March threatening music pirates in the UK with legal action.

Since then it has sent hundreds of thousands of instant internet messages to desktops warning the most frequent users of file-swapping sites that they were being watched.

The industry body says its warnings have not deterred the most prolific file-swappers, and today's announcement will send a much stronger message to persistent offenders.

UK singles sales have more than halved since 1999, it says, when downloading took off. Sales of CD albums in the UK have bucked the global trend and continue to rise.

But record labels are concerned album sales will go the same way as singles, once broadband, which speeds up downloading, is more widely used.

The BPI cites research showing that music downloaders spent as much as 32% less on albums and 59% less on singles.

But those figures have been questioned by others who argue that file-sharing has no detrimental effect on sales, acting instead as a marketing tool for music fans to discover new bands and genres.

They argue the downturn in sales has been caused as much by the industry's over-reliance on disposable pop acts and a lack of innovation as the effect of new technology.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1321665,00.html

You've probably heard about all this. More hijinx :resick:

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

Sales are down coz a:CDs are far too expensive, if ya take em down to a 5iver theyll see some good sales then.and b: theres far too much crap music out, and mr.big company, havin spent so much onpromotion and getting the tunes done, they completely overlook the musical quality...if they go back to employ musicians rather than marketing and business fucks, then theyll see some more $$ from teh CDs...not that they need it really...
    :cat:

I say fuck em, keep downloadin, whos with me ? :jacko:

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Well I really only listen to Hip-Hop and DNB, I buy the majourity of Hip-Hop albums, and I purchase Drum & Bass vinyl. All good!

4. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

I'm with you almost all the way there Gordo, the amount of shit that has surfaced from labels is unbearable at the moment. But in saying that I got alot of respect for the artist's I love so I always make an effort to buy there cd's even if I can download them. Main reasons been artwork biography's etc, it just makes theunderstanding of the artist feel more complete.
    The problem is it's very hard to come across something for nothing & when you do & you can save £11.99 then in all of us is some one who thinks about there wallet b4 there actions.

5. PeTzZz

PeTzZz Retired DnB Listener

I just cannot afford to buy CD's. I really would like to buy them if they were charged reasonable, but they aren't :-/

The prices in Estonia are basically the same as in UK, but the standard of living is not so good as in UK. So ...

6. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Cute. Well I was planning on removing most of my archive soon anyway.

7. Wolte

Wolte Wannabe DJ

I guess that 15% are those swedes with 500gb shares of stuff. Damn how do they get so much bandwidth?

The reason why I don't buy CDs is because:

Prices seem to be rising (saw a Photek single in HMV for £17).
    There aren't really many decent albums out

IMHO p2p should by all means aid the sales as people get to 'preview' music before they go on to consider getting a more tactile version of what they just obtained. OK, CD burners aside, a certain amount of people will do this. With me I would as it's all about the package (well, artwork).

In general 'they' need to sort out what's being released as opposed to these huge networks.

Nothing that's been not said before.