UK: London Metropolitan Police allows Islamic protesters to throw shoes

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by BDS, Apr 13, 2010.

1. BDS

BDS Active Member

UK: London Metropolitan Police allows Islamic protesters to throw shoes

SCOTLAND YARD has bowed to Islamic sensitivities and accepted that Muslims are entitled to throw shoes in ritual protest — which could have the unintended consequence of politicians or the police being hit.

News of the concession by the Metropolitan police has come to light amid a series of trials of more than 70 mostly Muslim demonstrators who were charged with violent disorder after last y More..ear’s Gaza protests outside the Israeli embassy in London.

Aquib Salim, 21, an IT student at Queen Mary, London University, who was involved in a shoe-throwing incident, is almost certain to avoid a prison sentence as a result.

Chris Holt, Salim’s solicitor, said he was likely to get a suspended sentence after he pleaded guilty to a single charge of throwing a stick at police lines.

“The court accepted that the earlier shoe-throwing incident was simply a ritual form of protest and therefore not a criminal act of violence,” Holt said.

Judge Denniss agreed that the act of shoe-throwing should not be considered in a charge of violent disorder against the student because it was “a symbolic” political gesture.

Shoes, and particularly the soles of shoes, are regarded as ritually unclean in the Islamic world. An Iraqi journalist became a folk hero for throwing a shoe at President George W Bush during a press conference in December 2008.

The president ducked, but Muntadhar al-Zaidi was jailed for three years and allegedly tortured by the Iraqis. He was released after nine months and his gesture inspired many imitators.

A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service admitted this weekend that the police advice to the Downing Street protesters was a factor in the case at Isleworth crown court, west London.

It has now emerged that the Metropolitan police first told protesters of its stance on shoe-throwing shortly after the attack on Bush.

The concession has already been taken up enthusiastically by Muslim demonstrators, who pelted Downing Street with shoes in protest at the Israeli bombing of Gaza last year.

Dozens of ski-boots and clogs were also hurled at the US consulate in Edinburgh in a related protest, in which three policemen sustained minor injuries.

Lindsey German, convenor of the Stop the War coalition, said: “After the incident in Baghdad we told the police that people would want to bring shoes to throw at Downing Street.

“They said that was okay and there was a facility allowed for people to bring old pairs of shoes. Afterwards they joked that they didn’t realise we were going to throw the shoes so hard.”

In January 2009, anti-war protesters advertised a demonstration outside Downing Street by posting a photograph of a pair of old shoes under the words: “Bring your old shoes to throw at useless Gordo.”

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=185_1270974308

I wonder what would happen if non muslims threw shoes at muslim politicians? or the police? or any politician for that matter?

2. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

there in england they should have to abide by the same laws as evryone else in the country.
    i couldnt go to a muslim country commit a crime and say it was symbolic they'd have none of it and probly cut my hands off or something!lol
    anyway i think its bollocks!:teeth:

3. SLow

SLow Quadrospazzed life-glug

Fucking hell, I went to school with that lad. Small world eh.

4. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

does that mean everyone can throw shoes at politicians now? awesome, I love muslims

5. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

just make sure to wear your knife boots

6. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

“Bring your old shoes to throw at useless Gordo.”

better watch out gordo, a change of username wont help you now, I have my ski boot ready

7. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

8. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

Did that fella who chucked an egg at Prescott (who got lamped) get jail time? No.
    What about the people who chuck custard pies are various politicos every year? No.

Don't let the scary Muslamics cloud your vision.

9. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

Lets hope this doesn't happen in Holland.

10. Moskit

I might convert, just so I can lug a steel toe cap at Camerons boat whilst shouting: "Ivan was a Martyr."

11. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I want to be a mormon so i can haz lotsa women

12. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

What a good idea. Why not let people off of throwing bottles aswel, after all theyre only showing their dissaproval of something, thats not really a crime is it? :clown:

Dickheads.

13. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

theyve done you a favor really

14. dnb in ya face

dnb in ya face Loud and Dirrrty

Should turn it into some sort of sport + introduce it in the house of commons.

Watching the parties throw their shoes at each other would be quite amusing.

15. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

This is a great Sun/Daily Mail headline.

Calm the fuck down and read it, a student threw a shoe at a protest, thats it. It wasn't a bottle, it wasn't a brick, it was a shoe. It wasn't designed to hurt anybody it was a symbolic gesture. Just like somebody throwing a custard pie at somebody, it is in no way designed to be violent.

Spot on, and this is not "violent disorder", not by a long shot. It's not clear in the article but the CPS are now preparing to drop the charges or at least bring a much lesser charge. Why? Because it's not fucking "violent disorder", legally and ethically it just isn't. This is EXACTLY the same as throwing an egg or a pie or a giant flying dildo, it's done to make a point, not in the name of "violence" (custard pies and eggs in our culture, shoes for the Muslims). If they did charge somebody for one of those, then you lot would be up in arms about that.

No, basically some people are simply being ignorant, easily lead, rascist or all three...

I'm seriously unimpressed with some of the responses from people here. I'd expect it from feral mouth breathing rascist chavs who are too thick to dial back the media led Muslamic hate fest and see the parallels. But here, I'd rather hoped we could be adult about it...

You fucking bitch about police powers, how this country is no longer free and then you go and reveal at best, you're stupid and hypocritical, or at worst you believe that everybody gets to be free except the brown ones.

Twats tbh.

[EDIT]
    OH, and if it did go to court, and she was found guitly we set a precedent and lower the bar so more people (maybe even white people :eek:) will get arressted and charged with a violent crime WHEN THEY CLEARLY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN.

If it went to court and she was found innocent, we've now set a precedent in the other direction, so then every pissed off cunt from miles around could use it to their advantage, take a lead shoe and lump that at somebody.

Basically she should never have been arrested for "violent disorder", luckily they've stopped it here before our joke of a judicial system becomes more of a mockery.

I'm really quite surprised at the thoughtlessness of some of the comments here, it's just the sort of thing the gutter press pander to and whats dragging this country right down the pan.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  16. Moskit

If you winged a shoe at somebody full pelt & a close enough range, it could fucking hurt, even if it didn't it would piss you off to fuck & I would certainly label it as violent conduct.

You gotta ask what was said person phjysically looking to achieve by winging the shoe, I understand its symbolic meaning in th Islamic faith, but it has its common sense & physical implications sameway...

If somebody through a shoe at my head in protest, I couldn't give a fuck how symbolic it was or what the colour of their skin was, i'd wing it right fucking back at 'em.

Its fucking pathetic them bowing to pressure like this.

17. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

See I agree with you, throwing shit at people is pretty lame, and I wouldn't be that receptive if it happenned to me. I agree with you 100% that the motivation needs to be looked at, it could EASILY be assult (it wasn't in this case, but the scenario you described is a clean case of assault). But to try and charge them with "violent disorder", a charge which carries a max sentence of 5 years is simply wrong. It does not obey the letter of the law, it doesn't even obey the spirit.

This is legislation to stop proper rioters throwing petrol bombs and bricks at the police. Not to imprison dumb fucking students who were involved in a bit of a silly stunt.

No, whats pathetic is she was charged with this in the first place. Remove all the references to Muslims in there, make it an anti-war protest and you're telling me that you'd support charging a young student with "Violent disorder" for throwing a shoe? Fuck off...

Actually think about it for a minute. Either you're some sort of extreme dictatorish sort of person who thinks silly protesters should be made examples of, or you're basically being confused by the word "Islamic". Whatever, both can bugger off...

This isn't directed at you Moskit, you have the good grace to take the piss rather than making ignorant knee jerk statments.

18. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Racist is a word that gets thrown around all to freely these days.

19. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

I'll back off on the rascist comment, but just try it, remove all references to Islam in there, make it an anti-war protest, and now tell me if you support charging a young girl, a student, with a violent crime (which has many legal rammifications) under a law designed for controlling dangerously violent rioters because she threw a shoe. A crime that on examination, transpires didn't break this law and she'd be found innocent of in court.

You support this scenario? All I've done is remove the Muslims and given it the same kind of verbal spin this report used in the other direction.

If you don't, I'm hard pressed not to call it prejudiced. I won't call it rascist because we're discussing a religon here and I don't want to blur the lines any further than they've already been.

20. Moskit

Cool man, I know me & you can have some good discussions on here, tis' always good brother :)

You see, I didn't know the legal implications of a violent disorder charge...

5 years is a little steep, damn straight!

I'm talking a good dressing down & a slap on the wrist, maybe a little community service repairing shoes!

As to the Islam/Muslim thing, like I said I couldn't give a flying fuck what they do in their spare time, throwing shoes for whatever reason at a public figure who can't really retaliate is a bitch tactic & the law bowing to allowing this, in my opinion, is a crock of shit.