UK DNB BLOGS ARE DEAD - LET'S CHANGE THAT

Hannahwalf

Motivated music journalism student looking for writers, photographers, or just people who want to get involved. Wanting to set up a blog that has actual updated coverage of what's relevant in the UK underground scene, inc dnb, bassline, garage etc. the plan is basically to cover any good electronic music that is worth covering or we feel people should hear about.
Hoping to get some PR connections through my course and so could potentially send writers out to sets for free. let's see if anyone's on this!

which one are you in the picture? Im joking, but in all fairness i wouldnt be of much help, i guess i could share some knowledge on producing though its kinda been covered already, everywhere, though there are still many areas of it that dont really get talked about, https://clyp.it/r0obbcub i make this stuff to get an idea of what i do? I know a few people in drum and bass and quite a few in the music business, my mum sung on 'blinded by the lights' haha, i did meet mike around the time hes an original geeza! went to his house with my mum for vocals for something, he went on my mates skateboard with flip flops and tried to heelflip, like im not making this shit up i can back that up completely haha. Got more stories, links, thats if your interested?

Good luck with the blog.

I'd recommend trying to get a good USP to get readers in as there are a lot of blogs / websites etc already dedicated to lots of the genres.
The more writers you have in one area the better. It gets stale reading the same peoples thoughts and views after a while - I know as I got bored of seeing my own prose spaffed over pages of reviews.

this would take the underground out of the uk underground scene

like music isn't already as accessible with social media and the internet

this would take the underground out of the uk underground scene

like music isn't already as accessible with social media and the internet

I don't feel that writing credible reviews of live performances and EPs that typically wouldn't be covered by mainstream publications is "tak[ing] the underground out of the uk underground scene". I feel it's merely giving these underground artists a platform on which they can be recognised with the same respect that mainstream artists receive when releasing or performing their music.

Good luck with the blog.

I'd recommend trying to get a good USP to get readers in as there are a lot of blogs / websites etc already dedicated to lots of the genres.
The more writers you have in one area the better. It gets stale reading the same peoples thoughts and views after a while - I know as I got bored of seeing my own prose spaffed over pages of reviews.

Good idea - any suggestions of an interesting USP?

I don't feel that writing credible reviews of live performances and EPs that typically wouldn't be covered by mainstream publications is "tak[ing] the underground out of the uk underground scene". I feel it's merely giving these underground artists a platform on which they can be recognised with the same respect that mainstream artists receive when releasing or performing their music.

Who are these underground artists you speak of, how underground is this thing going to be?

which one are you in the picture? Im joking, but in all fairness i wouldnt be of much help, i guess i could share some knowledge on producing though its kinda been covered already, everywhere, though there are still many areas of it that dont really get talked about, https://clyp.it/r0obbcub i make this stuff to get an idea of what i do? I know a few people in drum and bass and quite a few in the music business, my mum sung on 'blinded by the lights' haha, i did meet mike around the time hes an original geeza! went to his house with my mum for vocals for something, he went on my mates skateboard with flip flops and tried to heelflip, like im not making this shit up i can back that up completely haha. Got more stories, links, thats if your interested?

Sounds great, leave me your email and i'll get in contact if you can be of use!

Who are these underground artists you speak of, how underground is this thing going to be?

I guess what I meant by underground was non-mainstream music typically released on an independant label. So eg. Logan D who releases on Low Down Deep Records is what I would call underground.

Good idea - any suggestions of an interesting USP?

No, otherwise I would have used it when I was helping my mate with his blog back in the day! A slightly light hearted look at things never goes amiss, music always comes across so seriously (particularly dnb) that it'd be nice to read something lighter and with a bit of with every once in a while

Jump Up? Speak to @Dagz he invented Jump Up

Yes indeed im your man HannahMontana. I can write a couple of paragraphs about Jump Up if you'd like. Id start by saying its all abit crazy but god bless them for keeping it underground. Id go on to say how id love to see a dance off between Brockie and Det. I'd talk about Sly's new music video and id be wearing my G13 t-shirt while doing this. Oh it would be amazing, can I, can I please, Please let me do it HannahMontana.

Im sure readers would give me a KennyKen/10

Yes indeed im your man HannahMontana. I can write a couple of paragraphs about Jump Up if you'd like. Id start by saying its all abit crazy but god bless them for keeping it underground. Id go on to say how id love to see a dance off between Brockie and Det. I'd talk about Sly's new music video and id be wearing my G13 t-shirt while doing this. Oh it would be amazing, can I, can I please, Please let me do it HannahMontana.

Im sure readers would give me a KennyKen/10

Dont forget the origins of WONWONZUADO and what it means in todays scene

Your problem here is that writing a blog about Jumpup is a bit of a self defeating purpose. None of the people who are into jumpup are interested in reading about it, and if they were there is nothing particularly interesting to write about; how do you write about new trends and ideas in a scene that hasnt had any in fifteen years? Where 99% of the names hammering it out are pretty much the same handful of people who have been hammering it out for the last ten years? What is the point of reviewing another record that sounds identical to the last apart from which order the five random screechy noises go in? What is the point of writing about a scene that literally releases diss tracks about people who try and write about it and discuss it at the level of an adult?

Don't get me wrong, DnB is fucking starved of great writing and criticism, and insightful interviews and passionate informed coverage are at an all time low, but the real problem
that DnB has from a blogger / writers perspective is that the scene is tiny and many of the people involved are not particularly interesting people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom