UEV4: Urban Essence - Volume Four [Obey]
Volume Four in the Urban Essence mix series comes from 19 year old Joe Stapleton, aka Obey, and it also coincides nicely with our first birthday! Happy birthday to us.
We’ve been following Joe’s monthly Autonomic mixes for a while now and in an age compounded by countless nonsensical mixes, meaninglessly collating the latest tunes, what’s striking about his is the painstaking care taken over their curation and creation. We’re all about patience and diligence with creativity here at Urban Essence, so it seemed appropriate to get Joe on board.
For the mix, Joe’s delivered a hard-hitting melange of machine music, comprising an array of tough warehouse-worthy tracks from the expansive catalogue of dubstep, house and drum&bass’ peripheral sounds. Seamlessly drifting between genres in a sort of ethereal haze, it’s a fairly dark and subliminal offering from Obey, from the eerie introductory sounds of They Live, through to the militant tribalism and housey groove of the second half.
Click here for the full article and interview with Obey.
Listen to the mix here.
01. They Live - 7998 [Exit]
02. Teeth - Shawty 
03. Commodo - Surveillance [Deep Medi]
04. Madd - No Tomorrow [Black Box]
05. ??? [N/A]
06. V.I.V.E.K - Soundman [Deep Medi]
07. They Live - Dimark [N/A]
08. Untold - Kingdom [Hessle]
09. Ben Damage & Doc Daneeka - Juggernaut [50 Weapons]
10. Echo Park - Fiber Optic (Jon Convex Love Transmission Remix) [Disfigured]
11. Martyn - Bauplan (L-Vis 1990 & Bok Bok Remix) [Brainfeeder]
12. Midland - Bring Joy [More]
13. dBridge - Scarlett [Convex Industries]
14. Ben Damage & Doc Daneeka - Elipsis Torment [50 Weapons]
15. Instra:Mental - Plok [NonPlus+]
16. They Live - Horizonta [Exit]
17. They Live - Cancel Standard [Exit]