Typical silly mistakes whilst playing out...

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by hyperd4eva, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

what mistakes have everyone made whilst playing out, guess the most comon is clanging or taking needle off wrong record.. Anything else we should always subconciously be thinking of!?

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

When I was keen on playing sets out few years back, I remember one of the first nights we turned up and the booth monitor didnt work, so all mixing pretty much had to be done in your headphones...tricky stuff if you havent done it before.

For me, especially more recently with some really substandard set ups I've played on, I now always bring my own needles, nothing worse than turning up, playing your best well looked after vinyls for the needles to be in dire need of replacing. It can cause damage to your records.

Everyone who mixes has clanged at some stage, it just happens. Its how you style it out which makes you a good dj. LOL. just my two cents!

3. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

I have taken the needle off the wrong record before.

Once on radio I was just going to drop a tune from the intro, so I had it ready... but it wasn't till I let go of the vinyl that I realised it was on 45 and it was supposed to be on 33 lol

4. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

suppose another one is getting too messy!

5. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

What's a clanging?

6. osmosis

osmosis Member

I was playing out at a strangers birthday party and used the strobe a bit too much..... a kid started having a fit and we had to call an ambulance.
    Fucking scary as hell cause he was just floppin round on the floor and foaming at the mouth. I just bloody hope he doesnt try and sue me.

7. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

paused the wrong cd deck twice, they channels the decks were in were all over the place though, the exact opposite to how i have it at home. CD decks were in the middle yet on the 2 end channels

8. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Once, I accidentally the whole record.

9. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Lol.
    I played at a house party in Bristol the other night and some bird kept coming up to me asking if I could turn the lights off.
    I asked her why and she said she had mild epilepsy and told me not to laugh.
    I didn't have a clue how to work the lights though.

10. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

That's Madness!

11. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

NO! THIS IS MADNESS!!!

I'll get my coat.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  12. ONSLAUGHT88

ONSLAUGHT88 I sees ya I do I sees ya

I experienced a new one the other day, I played an outdoor party and had the set at the break of dawn, halfway through my set everything begins to get really wet and slippy and i just slipped the mix past the point of no return and had to cut it. Still got offered to play at a decent night that night somehow though!

13. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

hahahahaha!! had loads...

Started a set with a track on 33.... literally left it all the way to the drop with out realising... hahaha!

Leaving the crossfade in the middle with the volume up and putting a new record on the deck. happened a fair few times! mostly when drunk. haha

14. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I rarely use the crossfader so whenever I get pissed before I go on one tune is always abit louder than the other and it takes me ages to figure it out lol

15. osmosis

osmosis Member

Trust mate! It was only last weekend as well.

Pretty much he dropped on the floor and no one noticed him for ages and then you had girls screaming and shit. Then the lads were going nuts "put him In the recovery position" but the guy was flopping real hard so they couldn't do anything. By this time about 5 girls are crying hysterically and I'm behind the decks looking like an epileptic hater paedo :teeth:

I'm 16 and it was a 14 year old party and fucking hell the looks I got from the parents they were thinking "I just paid £100 to this random teenager to fuck up my kids."
    I was sketching about police and stuff cause I don't have a license or anything

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

I always have that! You spend ages looking for whats wrong and it's always the fucking simplest thing right in front of your face. So annoying when youre fucked cause you have no idea what's going on! :teeth:

16. ONSLAUGHT88

Hahaha that's even funnier, there weren't a load of research chemicals about or something?

17. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

got really high, had a whitey and couldn't really straight, that was a fun evening..

18. Mish Mash

Mish Mash Well-Known Member

Had quite a few...

DJing at college playing mainstream stuff on traktor and had the windows update thing restart my laptop while it installed updates for about 5 minutes in front of about 200 people

Played on a xone 92 and pressed the filter on the low pass by accident and didnt realise for about 20 seconds cos it was while two tunes were playing and I couldn't work out what was going on

Was playing in room 2 at matter (like a bauwce!) and was trying to mix in a tune and it kept skipping and eventually the tune I was mixing out of finished but luckily I saw it was finishing with about 10 seconds to go and just cut to the intro of gatekeeper as it finished

Played after a guy who had set the mixer in such a way that I had to have the left deck in the right channel and the right deck in the left channel and I was pretty drunk so kept messing up which fader to move down and would leave the wrong tune in

Had the needle get so dusty it just slides back and forth across the whole record

Had some people knock a massive monitor off the stage which fell about 1.5m onto a girls head

Wasn't me but a guy playing after me spilt a full pint onto a cdj and completely broke it so had to play on one deck but luckily he was last one on and didnt have long left, but that must've cost the club loads!

Can't think of any others

19. Labrat

Labrat Active Member

getting caught playing a cd and pretending to mix...

jks not me not me.
    one time the club has the left and right faders the wrong way and wouldnt fix it, everyone who played fucked up every second tune

20. ONSLAUGHT88

Someone spilt a drink over our soundsystems djm 800 on friday, was after my set but by the end of the night every fader is fucked, their jammed in place you can't move them up or down at all :-x