Typical liquid wobble!

Discussion in 'Production' started by muzzadj, Aug 4, 2010.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Easy all, i was wondering how to find that lovely typical wet underlying wobble bass that is used in alot of liquid tunes over the years? Pretty much all of Netskys and 'Take me away' and stuff like that? I have NI Massive and FM8 in my possession if i can use those? Surely massive can? just need a bit of guidance!

Cheers :)

Muz

2. sausagenumber9

sausagenumber9 Member

3. dexter

dexter Member

sausage all your replies are beyond unhelpful so far, well done.

muzzadj, usually the wobble your talking about is a low pass filter, lightly on the bass, using an lfo to control the cutoff, probably a sine wave shape, im not sure of how to define the timing aspect im sure someone else can, but take me away, and loads ot neysky songs are wobbling at 1/6 or about 0.10hz and usually they start wobbling just after the kick, thats how you get the classic feel, i doubt you're on ableton, but i use the auto filter to achieve the effect by adjusting the ''offset'' knob.

it wont sound smooth and mellow if you have the lfo amount to strong, start off subtle.

sorry i cant be massive or fm8 specific but im positive a lot of synths with a filter lfo can do this easily

4. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin .

for the timing aspect of this sound, (iv got some really nice sounds using thor )
    hold on 1/32, attack 1/8, decay 1/16, sustain -5.7db, and release 0 i think?
    that may not be spot on im trying to remember off the top of my head, but do with a sine wave that and alter the tuning (on 1 of the 3 Analog parts on thor ) by about 7 semi notes i found gave it that extra layer feeling, all about layering it up well!!

someone will be able to help you more"!

5. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

right i normally use z3ta or blue but im sure it will be the same process. Also im doing this from memory so am sorry if its slightly wrong but will correct later if any probs.

Start with 2 square waves, you need to transpose one of these square waves up by 7 notes. also the higher note needs to be slightly quieter than the lower note. make sure both oscilators are bussed all the way to the top for maximum effect.

then you ned to add a low pass filter. you want the cut off to be about 2/3 of the way down. you also need the resonance to be just before maximum. play with the cutoff until you've got that nice mellow sound you've been looking for.

now for the wobble, you need to add a lfo to your bass sound. use a sine wave lfo, set the timing sync to 2 T as in 2TRIPLETS. obviously you need to play around with the sync until your happy with the timing. you could even add a delay or "fade" onto the lfo to make it slowly creep in.

You need to assign your lfo to your low pass filter cutoff. now your wobble should be following that nice sound we created earlier.

now if you adjust the cutoff point on your low pass filter you will be able choose how high pitched the wobble is.

Now its time to add some reverb, you dont want too much reverb otherwise it muddies up the track. so you want the timing to be quite low aswell as the dry/wet mix.

hopefully now you're left with something that resembles a typical netsky bass sound.

Hope that helps dude, just message me if u need anymore help

6. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

(y)

Considering most "video tutorials" on youtube consist of some pillock with half a brain and a copy of massive giving questionable advice to say the least, just saying "youtube" isnt a good pointer on a forum full of people making the same sort of music, with useful things to say.

7. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Nailed it.

If your bassline is really low try raising the higher note by an octave as well.

Add some portamento too.

8. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Cheers Freek.. Really appreciate it mate. I'm not too familiar with some of the words you used there like 'transpose' and a few others but i will give this a crack mate and let you know how i get on as i think i get the picture!

Also are square/saw/sine waves just the waveform your changing for example on massive with the LFO? as in Square is obviously the square one, sine or saw the pointed one or what? Or do i have the complete wrong idea?..

9. Freek

ez mate, not familiar with massive but when i say start with 2 square waves. i mean your oscilators. they should be the starting point of your bass sound.

It can also refer to the waveform when arranging an lfo.

10. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Theyre the raw sound you start with, from the synths oscillators (sometimes labled OSC) A sine wave is the basic round shaped wave, squares obvious, saw (or sawtooth) the pointed one, triangle, again is obvious. You also get combinations of each, but those are the basic few.

An LFO (low frequency oscillator) sends out much lower waves, which act as "control signals" to other parts of the synth/whatever equipment its on. For example, when you assign an LFO to say, filter cutoff, the place of the cutoff frequency will be controlled by the shape of the wave being passed to it, so a sine wave will be a smoother movement than a square or sawtooth etc.

11. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Really good description mate, really helped! So how do you choose to use a different type of wave on the oscilator? Again using Massive for example if possible, is it the little drop down bar at the top of each OSC with all the different sounds if you get what i mean?

12. Freek

see attatched image mate, im assuming this is the drop down box for oscilators.

Attached Files:

13. sausagenumber9

sausagenumber9 Member

:D
    no seriously i searched alot in DOA, dubstepforum, this forum and youtube.

From my experience I think he wants like netsky eyes closed then it should be like [reason]->

get your self 3 osc (you can do it without sine too)
    1 sawtooth*16
    (1 is sine)
    1 square*16

play with sawtooth and square (cent, index, shift)
    now run them both thru low pass filter tweak it around 3000 kHz
    make it a little more crunchy with distorshion unit (skream for example) now start eq'ing
    cut some 20-80 hz off (sub) make slight cut in 550-650 hz

damn im noob explainer.

i can upload comibs patch but that would be too easy :)

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4J9ko9ElsA talking about youtube searches
    dont care what program u use . LISTEN what he talks and try to make same shitzz with your plugin
    safe

14. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

ARE YOU D.O.B/D.E.R.P?

Are you?

Really?
    Are you?

15. sausagenumber9

sausagenumber9 Member

Erm D.O.B/D.E.R.P ?

16. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

dont think he is actually, hes got a soundcloud with consistent tunes on there. damn shame really.

17. sausagenumber9

sausagenumber9 Member

Seems like i have to dissapoint you :/