"Tutorial Tuesday" Season 1: Electro House!

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
ARTFX "Tutorial Tuesday"

Tutuduuu tutuututuututuuduuuu! I just need a marching snare on the background now to announce to you: TUTORIAL TUESDAY! A weekly video lesson on Youtube about music production within Ableton Live. This week is the release of the first video of our first season, in this first season we talk about producing an Electro House slash Dubsteb mash-up.

Every week I'll introduce a new element to the track and I'll explain the techniques being used. For this first tutorial I've added a very small little FREE sample pack with some drum samples inside it that I've made myself. These contain the main kick and snare sample used in this video for everybody who likes to have them... You can download them at:

Tutorial Tuesday on ARTFX website.

For now enjoy the first video and be sure to leave some comments or feedback if you want so I can make my future videos even better!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC611A0C202900D15[/video]

For the second tutorial we add a kick and snare to this project and apply some parallel compression to spice it up a little.

The third week is all about chords, a simple melody and sidechain compression.

The fourth one is about using loops to fill up our beat, check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I know, but I go quite in depth about what I do and this was also a video in which I had to explain a lot about the entire project. Upcoming videos will be more actual production.

Sweet

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

You do everything exactly how I do mate.......but 12 minutes just on how to make a kick drum?!!!!! thats long.......
I think it was a great tutorial because of the time spent in detail about how to make a kick drum. I do all of that in reason(except for frequency analyzing) however, I would not know where to begin in Abelton. Another thing that is good about it is for the new producer a well explain tutorial will set them off far beyond where I did. It was almost a year before I learn what compression is used for. Took me even longer to figure out how to apply it to my kick and snare to make them sound correct. Even the simply stating "set your kick to -12db" took me forever to learn until I read John Mistz mix down guidelines sometime well after I started producing.
Great work Artfx
And Mr. Fletch keep making tutorials too. These are the tools that will elevate the music we love. Who knows you guys may one day be the next big producer or possibly just as exciting teach the next big producer that sets the standard for the rest of us.

Tutuduuu tutuututuututuuduuuu! I just need a marching snare on the background now to announce to you: TUTORIAL TUESDAY! A weekly video lesson on Youtube about music production within Ableton Live. This week is the release of the first video of our first season, in this first season we talk about producing an Electro House slash Dubsteb mash-up.

Every week I'll introduce a new element to the track and I'll explain the techniques being used. For this first tutorial I've added a very small little FREE sample pack with some drum samples inside it that I've made myself. These contain the main kick and snare sample used in this video for everybody who likes to have them... You can download them at:

Tutorial Tuesday on ARTFX website.

For now enjoy the first video and be sure to leave some comments or feedback if you want so I can make my future videos even better!

thought this was DNBforum not electrohousedubstepmashupforum

Awesome tutorial man, I do everything the pretty much the same in Logic

thought this was DNBforum not electrohousedubstepmashupforum

Yes, but this is the production board, if you will notice a lot of tracks are posted in the new talent section that aren't DnB and questions are asked that don't just pertain to DnB. Besides, what's stopping somebody from using this technique in a DnB track, at the end of the day as long as sick music has been made I don't care what genre the tutorial/technique was meant for.

Thanks guys! It's my goal to actually be there for the beginning producers as well as for the advanced producers. Now to the guy stating about this being a Drum & Bass forum... In the video I clearly tell that these techniques apply to each genre of electronic music.

Next week: adding a snare and some parallel compression!

And here we are with week two in this tutorial series. Check it out!

Good shout on the parrallel compression.......Should help alot of people out!

Out of curiousity......how the hell have you got a Red Ableton?!?! all my skins look like shit lol

Good shout on the parrallel compression.......Should help alot of people out!

Out of curiousity......how the hell have you got a Red Ableton?!?! all my skins look like shit lol

I made my own skin to go with my website colors with a skin editor that was made by some guy.. My skin is not finished yet, some windows are a little hard to read but when I've fixed that I'll release the skin on my website for all my viewers to download.

I love it. I need to figure out how to parallel compression with reason to see if it fattens up my drums some. I also love the tip about going back to your kick drum and bringing the eq down right where the snare hits.

Lot of effort i know its not so easy to make such great creations...thanks for the shout on the inspector vst,

I love it. I need to figure out how to parallel compression with reason to see if it fattens up my drums some. I also love the tip about going back to your kick drum and bringing the eq down right where the snare hits.

In Reason make a combinator, load in a mixer and a Redrum after it to put your drums in. Then insert a Spider Merger and Splitter and an compressor, hold shift while adding the plugins. Now go to the back, connect the output of the Redrum to the Splitter input of the Spider, then connect Splitter output 1 to the first mixer channel and connect splitter output two to the compressor, now connect the output of the compressor to mixer track two, and finally connect the mixer to the output of the combinator or else you won't hear shit. :D Now you set up your compressor and by lowering and raising the volume of mixer track 2 you can set the amount of compression that is mixed with the dry signal.

Lot of effort i know its not so easy to make such great creations...thanks for the shout on the inspector vst,

You're welcome!

In Reason make a combinator, load in a mixer and a Redrum after it to put your drums in. Then insert a Spider Merger and Splitter and an compressor, hold shift while adding the plugins. Now go to the back, connect the output of the Redrum to the Splitter input of the Spider, then connect Splitter output 1 to the first mixer channel and connect splitter output two to the compressor, now connect the output of the compressor to mixer track two, and finally connect the mixer to the output of the combinator or else you won't hear shit. :D Now you set up your compressor and by lowering and raising the volume of mixer track 2 you can set the amount of compression that is mixed with the dry signal.

or just feed your drums through a pulversier, and adjust the wet/dry knob

Good tip, although that is only for the newest version of Reason.
I am on Reason 4. I am not sure if I will go to six. I was thinking about the switch to ableton. I am starting to understand it is not so much the synth as much as it is the effects you place on them. And reason does not use plugins. The only thing drawing me to reason six is the pulverisor. However, I am still not sure if it is worth it. Also I think the re-sampling capabilities are better in reason 6 with nn-xt.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

Good tip, although that is only for the newest version of Reason.
I am on Reason 4. I am not sure if I will go to six. I was thinking about the switch to ableton. I am starting to understand it is not so much the synth as much as it is the effects you place on them. And reason does not use plugins. The only thing drawing me to reason six is the pulverisor. However, I am still not sure if it is worth it. Also I think the re-sampling capabilities are better in reason 6 with nn-xt.

Hey ARTFX, quick question. I noticed you made an eq cut in the snare at the frequency where the kick drum hit is most prominent. Does this really have a big effect because the kick and snare never hit at the same time so it seems a little pointless to me? Is it just a perception thing because I can't imagine those frequencies interfering with each other as the kick and snare don't hit at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom