[Tutorial] Make KOAN Sound snare using a TR-909 Snare and Ableton Live

mykono5

Aru R.
Hey I'm new here and umm just sharing my first tutorial (ever)...

I'm sorry for my accent...

A bit of manual way for you guys who don't like to watch the video...

1. Take this sample pack http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t7dmm30ngp3154p (password for the archive is: "mykono5" without the quotes)
2. Find on Google: cmt bitcrusher
3. Open up Ableton, drag a simpler, drum rack, impulse, etc.
4. Drag the first snare on the sample pack.
5. Put EQ Eight on the effect and then on the first EQ point, type 200 Hz on the freq and boost to 12.0 dB, this is done to add the wood of the snare.
6. This part is pretty much optional IMO. On the third EQ point (2.00 KHz/2000 Hz) turn down the Gain knob to -6.0 or -3.0 dB.
7. On the fourth EQ point (10.00 KHz/10,000 Hz), change the type to High Shelf, boost the Gain to 3.0 dB, and the Q to 4.00.
8. Drag Reverb and drop it before the EQ Eight.
9. On the reverb: Dry/Wet @ 45% | Low cut & High cut ON, change Center Frequency to 910 Hz | Predelay all the way down | Decay time 1 second or whatever that fits for you.
10. Now for the fun (I guess...) drag Bitcrusher VST you've downloaded. Drop it after the EQ Eight.
11. On the Bitcrusher, only change the drive knob to the sound that you think suits perfectly with you. Btw, turn down your PC volume first before doing it...
12. Drag Compressor and drop it before Reverb. Change the Threshold to -18.4 dB.

Well that's all the basic. If you wanna add more effect, resample it first just to save CPU Usage...

[EDIT] Also change the pitch of the snare. It'll help ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
nice one to be honest it is not great but for first tutorial very good.tnx for sharing and taking your time to make this

That didn't sound like koan now did it?

Some of you probably will tell me "Well do it better then if you're so cocky stop speaking shit about others cause at least they try and wont just dis others blahblahblah"

Well guess what I'm gonna response with my own tutorial to this thread.

1: Take a snare (That has a resonant peak somewhere lower spectrum)
46752945.png

2: Pitch it up to taste and do an eq something like this:
53040504.png

3: Add distortion and layer with other top ends from different snares and experiment. Different distortions give different textures and adjusting the decay of the snare will make significant changes to the sound. Also try different methods of compressing. (Don't over do)

Hear some here:
https://soundcloud.com/projectezr/9034rtjdtopifk349034654yrfd

I always thought they just distorted a snare then layered a punchy one underneath so it doesn't sound completely like crap

THIS!!!1!!11!!
I think they layered an acoustic snare too... like in their track, Talk Box...? I think I hear a compressed acoustic snare there on the distorted 200hz snare...

And also guys, I did this tutorial but I don't use this snare very often, only on one or two non-DNB tracks. I made this for a friend IRL but thought of uploading the video.

I have a beef.
I didn't actually watch the video but...

I always see or hear people saying ''yeah man just boost the snare at 200hz and the kick at 100hz''
Even if its a high pitch snare that is peaking around 290ish.
There isn't always a set frequency. It depends on the pitch.

I have a beef.
I didn't actually watch the video but...

I always see or hear people saying ''yeah man just boost the snare at 200hz and the kick at 100hz''
Even if its a high pitch snare that is peaking around 290ish.
There isn't always a set frequency. It depends on the pitch.

Yes. The pitch is definitely one of the thing that needs to be done... on the video I said about changing the pitch of the snare

Back
Top Bottom