Turntables or CDJ'S ??????

Terrence Black

Breakage3307
Yo, i heard something about some people are thinking about useing CDJ's instead of turntables. So i was wondering are Dj's going with CDJ'S more than vinyl ??

I also heard that vinyls are dying slowly.... man i hope not.... R E S P E C T . . . . .

:slick:

Re: Turttables or CDJ'S ??????

hazard, logan d and magistrate are my fav djs and they all mix with cds.

personally i wont because the more ppl start to us cds im sure all that filesharing illegal downloading bollocks will become promonant. Producers will have less drive to delieve dance floor killers if there just gonna be downloaded 4 free.

Matter of personal taste really - if you're a producer, or close to a lot of producers who get dubs over to you that have just been finished (like earlier that day!) then it makes sense to use CD's, as there aint been time to get a vinyl or dubplate pressed... That's why you see a lot of top flight producers & DJ's using CD's...

If you're a normal punter like the rest of us, it's way, way easier to get what you want on viyl in the first place, more widely available, and I reckon a lot easier to use!

But I notice ur in the states Terrence, I've heard people are going way more for CD's out there, at the moment it wouldn't make sense over here yet, as most things still hit the masses on vinyl, with only a few widely available on CD...

hazard, logan d and magistrate are my fav djs and they all mix with cds.

personally i wont because the more ppl start to us cds im sure all that filesharing illegal downloading bollocks will become promonant. Producers will have less drive to delieve dance floor killers if there just gonna be downloaded 4 free.

only problem is the quality of the mp3, even 320's don't come close to vinyl.
they just sound so weak and have no depth to them.
if you're using cdjs, you gotta be buying wavs, otherwise it's just not worth it. and they're all around the £2 which si fucking resonable.

the sound quality does depend on the needles ect. that you are using though.

personally i have never tried to use CD decks so i cant really comment on how easy they are to use, but i dont think that i wouldnt change to CD's.

fuck cds, they look shit as well, vinyl looks the part, sound the part and has got:gun: to be better

the sound quality does depend on the needles ect. that you are using though.

granted 2 different needles are going to give you 2 different sounds.
but there's no possible way you can compare mp3s to vinyl.
it's like manchester united playing dagenham and redbridge.

Never would I buy or use CD decks. There's just something about vinyl that nothing can beat really. Plus I love my Technics!

only problem is the quality of the mp3, even 320's don't come close to vinyl.
they just sound so weak and have no depth to them.
if you're using cdjs, you gotta be buying wavs, otherwise it's just not worth it. and they're all around the £2 which si fucking resonable.

Supercharged said:
About MP3
There is a lot of speculation about the quality of MP3 and how it compares to standard CD quality. We have conducted a completely unbiased test in order to help you choose which format is right for you. We directly compared 160kbps, 320kbps and wav format using both our sound studio and the world famous sound system at Fabric nightclub in London. These tests were carried out by experienced sound engineers and you should feel confident that our results are accurate.

160kps: For the Ipod user and home listener
Very good quality and very little difference between this and the CD. Very slight loss of sub bass and the overall volume but we have no hesitation recommending this for Ipod users and home listening, you probably wont notice the difference. We still had reasonably good results with some bit rates lower than 160kps but feel the quality was compromised too much.

320kps: For professional DJ’s and audio enthusiasts
Again very good results, in fact we were unable to tell the difference between the 320kps MP3 and the CD. If you are a DJ who is unsure if MP3 is OK to play out then rest assure, 320kps will not let you down and is equally as good as a CD, this is our favourite format in terms of quality and value for money. Welcome to the revolution!

CD (WAV and AIFF): Professional DJ’s, audio enthusiasts and collectors
Obviously no chance for compromise here, the music on an original CD will be equal to the quality of the song the day it came out of the recording studio. The main advantage is you get an authentic product recorded on a top quality CD and comes with full professional artwork.

http://www.superchargedmusic.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=324

I will also bet that no punter will ever be able to tell the difference between a quality CD and quality vinyl over a good system at a rave. A dj at home with quality equipment, yes, at a rave, no.

Last edited:

http://www.superchargedmusic.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=324

I will also bet that no punter will ever be able to tell the difference between a quality CD and quality vinyl over a good system at a rave. A dj at home with quality equipment, yes, at a rave, no.

welllllllll. when i'm at home mixing between 320 mp3s and vinyl, i notice a dramatic difference. so much so that i've stopped using mp3s when i'm mixing.

when you're compaing mp3s to cd quality, cd's are just wavs, right?

the only problem i have with mp3s is that you loose the depth to the whole song. and when that comes to drum n bass, it's a massive problem, because having that low end is so important.

vinyl has outlasted tapes, minidiscs & cds and i'm sure it will outlive mp3s
personally i dont think anyone has come up with a better format for actually having the a piece of music in front of u, and able to manipulate the tune
i didnt know hazard, logan d & magistrate used cdjs but i'm sure they all started on turntables
if u let a machine do the beatmatching (the most important thing when mixing) u will never learn how to do it properly

i've used all 3 (turntables, cdjs & mp3 mixing software) but i'm afraid nothing comes close to the pleasure u get when one mixes vinyl

its not a question of sound quality for me, its more about technical ability

its the equivilant of playing real football to playing FIFA/Pro Evo on ur playstation
no questions turntables win!

I like the fact that more shit comes out on mp3's, but ever since i got into the music and saw vinyl.. I'll stick with and respect it.

I kinda agree that vinyl sounds much better mp3s. But its true that no one would be able to tell at a rave or anywhere else other than home.
But seeing a DJ mix on vinyl is so much nicer, its a whole visual art form i think...people on cds just don't seem to be 'controling' or 'manipulating' the music to me...

Turntables will always be king as that's where DJ mixing originated......However, people should embrace CDJs as a tool to test and play new tunes without the expense of getting it cut on dubplate. Don't get me wrong, Dubplates (and vinyl) are massively louder than MP3's as MP3's are massively compressed which makes the tune lose dynamics by flattening some of the waveforms. Unless you are a regular working DJ such as Andy C who can afford to spend 1000+ a week on cutting dubplates, we should keep buying and supporting the vinyl market to keep it in the scene as long as possible as well as playing MP3s!

the only problem i have with mp3s is that you loose the depth to the whole song. and when that comes to drum n bass, it's a massive problem, because having that low end is so important.

Agree, mp3s rip out the important frequencies. I never use below 320kps for mixing. Some 320kps rips are also dodgy but that's because they're taken from vinyl rather than DAT or CD. All in all though 320kps makes me and my woofer happy.

There is also a lossless WMA format - compresses to 1/3 of the size of WAV but does not strip any information away.

CDJs are going to be a quick flash in the pan as more digital djs are now going to Serato, Abelton, Torq, etc. and using their laptops to play mp3s.
Its all about vinyl for me. Our parties are strictly vinyl, we don't even offer the use of cdjs. If we book a producer who wants to drop some new material that he can't afford to cut to dub, we'll hook em up with the cdj but only at their request.

i recon a good set up is sum good turntables and 1 or maybe 2 cdjs.
so u can do both.
wats the point in havin 1 if sum mixers are made for both?
obviously money is a problem.
but turntables should come first!

Back
Top Bottom