Turntable Suggestion?

eʍʍy

Hellu all.

I'd like to know what your recommendations are for turntable(s).

Basically, all I want out of turntables is to play them as an instrument basically. Aka - the famous scratching techniques. This will mostly be used in my recordings. I'm sure I could find samples and loops and use those, but I'm always learning how to play new instruments (I'm up to like 15 now :rolleyes:) so would totally like to actually learn this too and record it myself.

I will not be DJ'ing or mixing songs or anything like that.
Some might think it defeats the purpose, but I just want to use it for basic sounds as an instrument.
Any other turntablist elements would be a plus though and be fun to experiment with, but if I only need one turntable for use as an instrument then I'd rather go that route.

So with that said, what would you recommend?
Again, this will mainly be for recording purposes so it doesn't matter to me if it's vinyl or digital. The cheaper the better, but I'd like something of quality too that would hold up.

Last edited:
If you want them to just play then get any old shit. If you want torque then good'ol technics will not see you wrong. You could look into those numarks that have a usb so you can record straight to your pc/laptop

If you want them to just play then get any old shit. If you want torque then good'ol technics will not see you wrong. You could look into those numarks that have a usb so you can record straight to your pc/laptop
Thanks. USB isn't needed since I'll be recording in a studio, but still a plus just to have.
Would this be decent at all?
Nothing pricey, but I'm not looking to spend a lot or get the best results.
Just something worth using and learning on.

Last edited:
for turntablism your probably better with a STR150 the torque on them bad boys shits all over technics

I appreciate the recommendations, but I like I said - I'm looking for something cheap just for the sakes of being able to learn on it.
I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars for this sort of thing anytime soon. :s

anyone have a cheaper recommendation?

Last edited:
I appreciate the recommendations, but I like I said - I'm looking for something cheap just for the sakes of being able to learn on it.
I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars for this sort of thing anytime soon. :s

Dont bother starting on anything cheap. Get yourself a pair of Technics and learn on the best turntables there are to buy. Better to learn on them and it take a bit longer to used to them (if that is the case) than learn on something shit then have to fork out more cash when you want to or feel you are ready to move on to them. Trust me.

Stanton or Numark, you will get two high end turntables for the price of one 1210 at the min. An they both have torque to match or beat the 1210's which is what you need if your planning on getting into turntablism

Dont bother starting on anything cheap. Get yourself a pair of Technics and learn on the best turntables there are to buy. Better to learn on them and it take a bit longer to used to them (if that is the case) than learn on something shit then have to fork out more cash when you want to or feel you are ready to move on to them. Trust me.
I agree with that. It'd save money in the longrun, but it isn't like I know whether or not I'll get into it. Some people do, some people don't. I don't want to look back in a month at some turntables that are collecting dust in my closet because I never got into it. I can't afford to blow a lot on this either, especially when it's nothing serious. I have bills to pay.
I feel something cheap would be better than nothing.

I guess I'll try and score a deal on some used technics or stantons.
I looked up Stanton and there's tons of cheap ones going. Some of them might be poor. Who knows.

What about mixers?
And what are some vinyls that have samples to get some basic+good scratching sounds?
Any in particular or should I just go with whatever?

I started out on the Numark Battle Pack, did me well for well over a year! I did feel the mixer was holding me back after a while though.

http://www.djstore.com/item/numbattlepack.htm

Everything you'll need in one cushty set up. I was pretty set on taking it up and had mixed on other peoples decks for a while before though.

For Turntablist stuff try and get decks with a straight tonearm as they will track better when you're scratching. If you're not going to be playing in clubs no need to get Technics (other decks are more powerful these days anyway), but if you do get Technics second hand you should be able to sell them for the same price you buy them for.

Back
Top Bottom