Tunes sounding too 'far back' in headphones

djdevz

VIP Junglist
I've just noticed that, compared to other tracks, my tracks sound a little far back in my headphones.

I'm guessing that's mostly to do with the way I EQ and mixdown my tracks.

Any tips on bring sounds 'nearer' without sacrificing too much in terms of freqs clashing etc.?

Thanks!

interesting thread u started there...my issue is mixdown related, but slightly different.

i think im just taking too much low end out of some sounds, giving the perception that the sounds are far away.

Hey dude, is it your drums that are sitting way back? If they are sounding distant then the whole mix will sound that way, since they are normally an important part of the track. If you bring them closer by applying less reverb and maybe some more high freqs. Or maybe your tracks just are not as loud and compressed as the other tracks you are listening to?

Oh just thought gated reverb is a mean way to make a guge sounding snare with out pushing it back in the mix.
Let me know if that helps :P Ill have a think during the day as to why its only in the cans it sounds that way.

theyre hd-25's mark 2

@srsharry - its just generally the tune sounds a lil further back than other pro tunes. I'm listening to all these songs using the cans so by logic its not them.

could be reverb + hi freqs..ill have a mess around. Cheers

found that roughly 1-3k on the frequency scale have a lot of impact whether we regard sounds as near or far away. maybe you cut a lil bit too much there?

found that roughly 1-3k on the frequency scale have a lot of impact whether we regard sounds as near or far away. maybe you cut a lil bit too much there?

this + ~700hz, essentially the midrange 700hz-2khz has a big impact, you might want to try sum Mid-Side EQ, give the midrange a little boost on the mono channel, i do this sumtimes if i have a sound i dont want to be to big in the mid-range, but still brought forwrd in the mix

cheers for the advice guys! i think i do cut a lot in the midrange a lot, but I always thought that approx 800-2khz was where the muddyness lies with most sounds..
miszt how do i:
give the midrange a little boost on the mono channel

im pretty sure ive not got too much stereo but i guess ive got into a habit in cutting around 800-2khz for most sounds.

cheers for the advice guys! i think i do cut a lot in the midrange a lot, but I always thought that approx 800-2khz was where the muddyness lies with most sounds..
miszt how do i:

im pretty sure ive not got too much stereo but i guess ive got into a habit in cutting around 800-2khz for most sounds.

in that case, thats probly the problem! stop doing it :D that range is very important, tbh I rarly EQ around that range except on the bass, and mostly its a boost.

for mid-side EQ you need an EQ that has that option, if you are in ableton (sorry cant remebr wot u use), then EQ8 allows you to do it, just select Mode: M/S (mid-side)

but as you are cutting in that range already, u might not need to do it, i only use that function occasionally, try putting back the parts that you have taken out, EQ the low midrange 200-700hz instead then use the volume control

Hey man try using SPITFISH on master channel and sound wont be so far away at least it works for me!!!

Huh? That would basically just compress any high frequency transients in a particular frequency range (between 4K and 12K depending on where you set it).
So I'd say that doing that will not help bring your track forwards.

Just to clarify SPITFISH is a De-esser, normally used on vocals to quickly compress the short bursts of high frequency created by 'S' 'F' and 'C' sounds :P

But then again if it really did work for some reason then I cant see why not to do it haha,

Back
Top Bottom