[TUNE] Protoplasym - Bomber Man

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Protoplasym, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

http://nuskoolbreaks.us/Bomber Man/

(If you have any issues streaming this, simply dl the 320.)

I hit a dead end with another track I've been messing with for the past couple weeks, so I took a break from that and put this simple downtempo roller together over the weekend.... enjoy! :eek:

:feedbackisappreciated:

2. Donkey1

Donkey1 2centcrackwhore

Not my cop-o-tea.

But diggg.

3. krease

krease Member

drums aregood the mood of the tune is nice and chilled, i think the bass neeeds more presence and it would sound better, good production though mate

4. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

What did you listen to this on, krease?

5. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

I thought the kick was a little hard, (considering the ambience of the track) and I was not feeling the lead between 2:44 and 4:07 at all. For me (opinion) it ruined an otherwise good listen.

The rest sounded great.

6. kama

kama benkama.net

I like it.

The ambience melodies make me think of Ghost In The Shell somehow.

Your beats are otherwise crunchy enough but I'd like more grime in the snare, just a touch of saturation or a dirty layer too.

The raveish synth starting at about halfway is too harsh compared to the rest of the track - it rips me away too abruptly from this cradle that you set the mood in. Maybe you could either bring it in more softly, from under a lowpass or soften it altogether. I'm thinking maybe a constant lowpass or a slow filter envelope that has most of the note playing lowpassed (low sustain), a slow lfo maybe. Something on those lines anyway, I see what you are trying to do with it, but it's going a bit far IMO.

BTW the panned kick delay is a really good effect, a shame that dnb rarely has space for that kind of trickery.

Sounds good apart from the piericing synth.

Now the whole track has a good balance in my opinion. Bass could be a decibel or two louder but as it is, it works more like a downtempo tune than a wall shattering dubstep mover. If you want to retain that easy feeling, try to fit another bass an octave higher in there, turn it down so you can barely hear it, sometimes works magic to bring presence to the bass.

7. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

Cool beans, a good friend of mine thought the KD was pitched too high and you feel it's hitting too hard. You and him both don't like the ravey synth thing in the middle of the tune.

It's a shame because, lol... that's how this tune started in the first place. It was just drums and that ravey synth... and I built everything around it last night.

Oh well :D

Thanks for the critique, Mr. Prime.

8. Kibon

Kibon Blaze It Down !

This sounds sick , and I think the ravey synth is pretty cool and not disturbing at all.
    Production is tight but the kd is indeed pitched a bit high but it only was disturbing in the intro. especially from 2:45 the kd gives a really cool effect combined with the other sounds..

9. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I can only really echo what others have said.

Production of the whole track is top notch, but the kick is pitched too high, would definately benefit from being lowered.

I like the synth that comes in at 2:40, but think its a little too loud, either that or maybe it's too harsh a sound for this style of track.

10. Zeal

Zeal Ohm/C2D/Dark Asylum/Ennex

Like the bells and such in intro

dont like that stab tho, jus sounds random to me

drums that come in are kool, id say they need a bit more groove to them tho, they sound like mainly kick n snare, when the hats come in its much better

Kick is very upfront compared to the snare

This is quite kool really man

ahhh as i said that that horrid screechy lead came in :(

the idea of it is kool but its a horrible sound imo, its also very fucking loud

This could be pretty kool man

sort the mix out get the levels better this could be quite good man :)

11. Simm3r

Simm3r Gonna shmoke a bowl

cool track man, likin the intro a lot, was well eiry with the bells. i thought the kick could have had a bit more low end to it to really get it nice an thumping, slightly to punchy at the mo imo. the lasery lead sound tht comes in about 3.00 sounds ok but i think needs mre effects on it if you wanna keep it in for tht long, maybe a light phaser or something. nice vibes in this tho man, was diggin most of it, but i just thought tht lead sound doesn't compliment it too well as it is, but easy fix really. keep it up mate

12. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

Firstly, thank you so much for your in depth feedback!

After reading everyones thoughts and listening to it a million times, I've decided that this tune is not finished. I'm going to go back over it this weekend and add some more meat and filler... and I'm also going to make a seperate version with a different middle section since so many don't like the 90's Rave Synth :clown:

A. You know... I might just have to try that, a small and light distorted layer. Thanks for the suggestion.

B. It's funny because this sound you speak of is what the song started with... drums, and the rave synth. I like it, but since there's so many who don't like it, I figure why not make a different version with something different going on during the middle. :D

C. Hmmm, which section are you speaking of because I'm not sure what you're talking about. :)

D. You and Krease both think the Sub could hit harder... I'm curious what both of you are listening to this on because the Sub is huge in my car which has (2) 12" Subwoofers tuned at 30-68hz. The image of the low in the SA is nice and big at around 10-12 DB and the Sub sounds great in my studio on my (2) 12" PAs. If anything, I've been thinking about taking the Sub down a DB er so, lol.

Look forward to the newer and completed version come next week along with a version minus the Ravey Synth.

:thisforumrocks:

13. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

http://nuskoolbreaks.us/Bomber Man/

Alright... this puppy is done! This is my best work ever... I'm equally content with the Prod as I am with the Music. :D

I added a decent amount of misc Perc sounds here and there to add some depth to the track, reversed sounds leading into crashes and 1s, even some misc Atari Perc sounds, along with a host of edits on the Drums.

The Ravey synth in the middle plays 3 times total... first time is left alone except for a small filter edit on the last note, the second time I went to town and did some neat filter edits, third time is a version where I did some edits on the patch of the synth 'and' also some filter edits.

The Middle sounds a lot more alive now and not so samey samey.

4:34 - 5:02 *** did some filter edits on the Midrange Layer for the Sub which gave that section some life

For those who enjoyed this, be sure to grab this finished version, it's much more complete and there were also some Mixdown fixes. The Midrange Layer for the Sub originally had a lil too much energy in the 70-90hz region so that was nipped in the butt.

The outro was extended for mixing purposes and I think it sounds better.

I'm sorry to those who don't like the KD, but I simply couldn't pitch it down, it just didn't sound right to my ears. To anyone who's interested in remixing this, I'd be willing to share the Sample Pack... just pm me and I'll hook you up.

As far as making a version without the Ravey synth in the middle, I couldn't figure out what to replace that sound with so I gave up on that too, lol.

:feedbackiswelcome:

14. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

mate us soundcloud, then people wont have to download, wait for buffing etc etc....
    I will download it and listen.
    ps, use soundcloud!!

15. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

yeh not a bad sounding tune man. much better than your old stuff. wasnt to keen on the kick, sounds a bit to electronic for that type of tune - imo.

16. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

I enjoy using Soundcloud because it streams... but I pay $4/month for space to host whatever I want.. why would I use something that's free when I've got my own Website??
    :confused::)

17. kama

kama benkama.net

Reminds me a lot of this tv show "madventures", had really a good soundtrack.

I have to agree tho, the kick is a bit hardcore, but i also agree that the track needs an element like that to give it edge. The filtering on the rave synth is good, but imo it still is too harsh. The part at after 4:30 where the ravesynth is much more subtle is more to my liking.

My favourite part in this are the melodies. The rising and dropping key thing is really mellow.

18. kama

kama benkama.net

Streaming mate. People will want to listen before downloading, without the hassle of removing it afterwards if they dont like it. And they dont have to wait for a download to finish to listen when streaming.

If you do have a website, incorporate the soundcloud streaming into that. With a little piece of code you can hotlink your soundcloud tune stream to your site with that little waveform of the tune too.

19. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

20. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

I appreciate the listen my man!! thank ya sir

I understand you guys want to be able to Stream the track vs. DL it. I'm not sure why but on some of my friends computers, I can stream from my website and on others I can only DL. I don't know why that is.

Maybe I need to upload some kind of audio player to my website... ?... all I do is upload material to it and that's it... as you can see, lol.... it's a bare bones site.