tune mastering nightmare!

Discussion in 'Production' started by Darth Sidious, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious bloody ear abuse

Hi, Im fairly new to music production, just made my first few dnb tunes. I started off using FL studio which I thought was wicked and am now using Reason just because I wanna try different software out to see which is for me.I also have used cubase a bit. Im loving Reason but am having a bit of a nightmare mastering my tune. was thinking of maybe rewiring it into fruity loops or cubase or maybe doing it in adobe Audition. does anyone have any suggestions?

cheers

2. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

A question..... Why do you want to master your own tune?

3. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

I think you have mastering confused with mixdown.

4. Darth Sidious

maybe I do mean mixdown then, basically Ive got my track constructed but cant get it sounding the way I want. When I was using fruity loops I managed to get the end song sounding alot better.perhaps its just my inexperience with reason.

5. Darth Sidious

well I know alot of people dont master their own tracks and send them to be mastered and maybe Ill discover thats the way to go but its something Id like to learn about nonetheless.

6. Darth Sidious

maybe I do mean mixdown then, basically Ive got my track constructed but cant get it sounding the way I want. When I was using fruity loops I managed to get the end song sounding alot better.perhaps its just my inexperience with reason.

7. Riisu

You're talking about mixdown more than anything, by the sounds of things.

Best thing to do is just make more tracks and you'll gain more experience in mixing.
    Another idea is to get a batch (of say 5) tunes 'complete' and spend a weekend mixing them down. By the end of it you should have a pretty good idea of how to approach things in the future (y)

I wouldn't really try to master my own tunes to a professional standard as such. Mastering engineers have spent years gaining knowledge (and the right equipment) more than anything to do a better job than you could ever hope to achieve in your bedroom, no offence intended.

8. Darth Sidious

okay thanks alot.

9. dexter

dexter Member

you shouldnt expect to have a tune, then mix it down, and it be awesome, make it sound to your liking and be happy with it without putting any fxs on the master bar a limiter. imo.

oh and mixing down should really take place constantly and be in your mind as you are making a tune, you dont want tonnes of shit to work out at the very end.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  10. druu

druu Member

Read heaps, watch vids and do tutorials! :)

11. Riisu

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. I think your perception of a tune becomes jaded when you're working on it and mixing it at the same time and you start to hear things that aren't really there, and miss certain elements.
    Of course, you should roughly mix a tune as you go along to get some idea of levels and the vibe you're after.
    But once you've gone through the creative process, I'd personally shelve it for a day or so and then some back with fresh ears and start the mix from scratch, i.e - faders at 0dB with all creative effects off and get a nice balance first between instruments then work from there.

I think people are too hesitant to 'undo' their hard work at the end of the creative process. End of the day, you've always got the chance to save your 'finished tune' and then reset everything and start from scratch on a new mixdown.
    You can always reference back to your first attempt and should be referring to previous mixdowns of the same track to see which one works the best.

12. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

sound advice! i agree that you should be keeping shit tidy as you work, but coming back with fresh ears is excellent advice!

13. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

good point riisu, im one of those wholl be too scared to erase my work. just didnt think about reverting to saved. but i see nothing wrong with doing bit of mastering yourself.

14. Riisu

True say, I guess you can have a go at a bit of self mastering. I've dabbled with some tutorials and it did make a lot of difference. But at the end of the day if you're looking at getting tracks released a label should take care of all that sorta stuff for you.
    And what's the point in sending an already mastered tune out (that you've spent ?? hours doing) when you could be workin on other stuff.

I always tend to save Riisu_Song_v1 / Riisu_Song_v2 / Riisu_Song_v3 throughout a day so I've always got something to go back to, incase I've made changes I don't like to something - as I relentlessly CMD+S the shit out of Logic.

Just food for thought I guess :)

15. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

this is very true but im usually to impatient to wait a day. maybe an hour an ill give it another mix.lol

16. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

there are lots and lots of points with sending out a mastered tune, make it as good as possible of course, cant hurt your chances. plus there is nothing to say your own mastering should in any way interfere with that of an engineer, it depends on what you do.

17. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

same with me breadbin! always save a back up before a big sesh, CTRL + S like a mo fo! amount of time i have learnt the hardway!

18. Darth Sidious

cheers 4 the advice guys its been very helpful

19. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

I don't see why people send tracks off to be mastered.. Why can't they do it themselves? I have no idea how mastering is done so please inform me!!

20. Riisu