Tune i've been working on for way too long and needs to be finished!

oh, i remember that one. maybe try to pick out a reference tune that somehow reflects what you're doing in this one? i'd try something by rene lavice, having reference tunes can work wonders if you ask me

I think it is losing a lot of from the drum beat. You're distorted bass lead is HUGE! I think this could be a real banger if you fill the drums out a little more. I don't really think the minimal beat belongs and I hate to bring up an artist, but I think this sounds like something that Camo & Krooked would make. With that being said, I think you need to make a much fuller liquid type drum beat.

If one of my tunes sounded like something Camo & Krooked i'd be pretty fucking happy! I think i know what you mean though.. i'll have a go at making a heavy beat but tbh everything i've made that tried to be heavy sounded shit and that's why i usually go with more minimal beats!

cheers all!

If one of my tunes sounded like something Camo & Krooked i'd be pretty fucking happy! I think i know what you mean though.. i'll have a go at making a heavy beat but tbh everything i've made that tried to be heavy sounded shit and that's why i usually go with more minimal beats!

cheers all!

I had similar issues until I first watched the Computer Music Magazine Brookes Brothers producers masterclass. They talk about how they layer a break with independent hits in order to get a really full sounding beat. It's helped me tremendously. This could be a real banger. I'm not normally so pushy on other people's tunes, but this could be huge compared to what it is and I'd love to see it that way.

I think it is losing a lot of from the drum beat. You're distorted bass lead is HUGE! I think this could be a real banger if you fill the drums out a little more. I don't really think the minimal beat belongs and I hate to bring up an artist, but I think this sounds like something that Camo & Krooked would make. With that being said, I think you need to make a much fuller liquid type drum beat.

no, the minimal drums are cool, but you need more tops in there, more hats, maybe a ride switch up, some open ones chucked in to give it some more groove, this is up to the standard of big labels almost dude, just keep tweaking the drums, the rest of the tune sounds pretty much perfect.

that is a quality tune man, nice work. i'm gonna definitely agree with what was said about the drums, throw some rides in there and something else for some more groove like some ghost snares or tops. this might make you have to change out the snares you're using since it's a bit of an overhaul, changing the vibe quite a bit.

the camo & krooked statement definitely applies somewhat, they've moved away from the typical dnb foundation of ghost notes or some sort of shuffle and more towards bigger kicks and bigger snares. i think it's so they can concentrate more on layers of synth sounds for bigger leads or more melody rather than minimalism.

so i think it's a matter of preference, some may like the minimal approach but it depends on the context (the rest of the song). for this one i'd love to hear what it sounds like with more going in regarding drums/cymbals.

Last edited:
nice one guys, really useful to hear all of your thoughts. i'm changing it up quite a lot right now, will upload it again here when i'm happy with it

sounds pretty good so far, maybe make the drums stand out a tiny bit more, although I'm listening on a horrid system atm, nice one!

Back
Top Bottom