Trying to replicate the bass on Friction's track Mad In The Jungle

ttj3

I have a track I'm working on I think would sound lovely with that bass sound, but I'm having a hard time getting it just right.

Here's Friction's track:

Here's what I have:

Ignore the drums, they're just a placeholder, I'm not trying to replicate those.

Other than that all I have are two clean subs (one lower, one an octave up), and two Reese subs (with distortion, EQ, as well as automating some of the EQ & distortion parameters for a touch of wobble and movement).

To my ears it sounds like Friction's track has the mids completely and sharply cut out, leaving only the lowest subs and highest highs, but I can't seem to cut my mids without losing some of my highs. And also, sometimes when I'm playing with the EQ on the Reese subs I'd swear it sounds like I should have the mids in but not the highs.

Last but not least, to my ears the distortion on my Reese ... the resonance sounds like it stays the same frequency (despite my attempts to automate it), whereas Friction's track it seems his distortion's resonance frequency changes with the sub notes (and immediately, no sweeping). Rather than trying to automate that I suspect maybe he's layering instruments that have different qualities, but I can't seem to duplicate whatever other instrument he might have there.

If anyone knows how to duplicate this sound better and can tell me what I'm missing/doing wrong I'd appreciate it.

If you've got 4 subs is all that low end not fucking with each other? It all sounds like low - mid range for me, with some kind of resonant low pass filter that opens up occasionally, so the frequencies are always there just masked by the low pass filter. Or maybe those sweeping high end bass note are separate layers over the top

I'm not at home right now so answering from memory, but IIRC I have the two Reese EQ'd to cut somewhere around 400-600Hz so they shouldn't be interfering. What I've been calling the 'harmony' bassline is a clean sine 1-2 octaves up so I don't think there's any overlap but I'm not sure if I'm EQing that one. I'll have to check when I get home. Now that I think about it, I don't know if I have the sine bass EQ'd to cut higher frequencies. I'll have to check that too.

Get massive up, make two sine waves.
Tune 1 -33cent and the other +33cent turn them both to formant and pull the knob down to about 7pm, play with it till you find the sweet spot (alternatively you can set them both to 0 and then attach a macro to each, making sure they oscillate exactly the same instead of guessing with each knob. I find guessing helps to create a different more unstable sound. where as that is just straight up control) Go up on the macro to find the sweet spot.

Then high pass it with some resonance in the same sweet spot area.

Layer with a fat sine sub smashed together with some saturation or dont. basic sound will be there tho.

The other layer later on sounds like a square wave or like a math 1 or something. Add massives own distortion, brauner works nice for that sound, then add a sine shaper, low pass with some resonance, make a long attack in an envelope and link it to the cutoff. High pass it after everything bit of reverb ;)

Sounds like a Sine Sub layered with some slightly distorted Mid-Range work. I hear Vibrato on the Mid-Range layer, possibly on the low end as well a bit.

"To my ears it sounds like Friction's track has the mids completely and sharply cut out, leaving only the lowest subs and highest highs, but I can't seem to cut my mids without losing some of my highs. And also, sometimes when I'm playing with the EQ on the Reese subs I'd swear it sounds like I should have the mids in but not the highs."

I disagree entirely. I hear plenty of Mid-Range in Friction's Bassline.

Honestly, I think your Bassline sounds way cooler. It sounds like yours has some Pulse Width Modulation going on, because the first note in your Bassline (the highest one) is panning a bit in my headphones, sounds narly... who knows if it'd sound good on a Mono system though.

penny
penny

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom