Trying to recreate old synths like Mr Happy & Warning

Edge Solo

Hey guys new here so im not sure if this is the type of thing usually asked/discussed here. Ive spent the last couple of days trying to replicate the bass from Mr Happy or Guv's Warning in serum or massive and failing miserably. Has anyone managed to do this or does anyone know how they made those patches originaly?

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you, i know hazard used an access virus, not sure what sounds he made on that compared to software though

kazoo.jpg

One way to do it is to fart into a harmonica that is suspended from from your ceiling, it's takes a while to set up but easy to execute

In all seriousness I hope noone answers this, I've heard this synth too many times :D

Loving the sarcastic comments... I dont particularly want to use the sound straight up but it annoys me that im not being able to re-create it & i feel like it could help me with my sound design in general.

only messing, voltage has been coming out with alot of similar sounds, he uses analogue synths with heavy modulation as far as I know, I'd play with different types of filter modulations, bandpass,band reject, combined with notches etc and sounds like alot of chorus or flanger combined with disortion. look up youtube and try find something similar and go from there maybe!

only messing, voltage has been coming out with alot of similar sounds, he uses analogue synths with heavy modulation as far as I know, I'd play with different types of filter modulations, bandpass,band reject, combined with notches etc and sounds like alot of chorus or flanger combined with disortion. look up youtube and try find something similar and go from there maybe!
now were talking lol i got close with some fm through a comb filter but no way near good enough. Im getting the timbre close enough but its that "squelch" on the attack im struggling with. Im a true believer of you can make anything in the box these days with how far vst synths have come so i dont think its the lack of analogue thats the problem. I think he just stumbled on a sweet spot on a filter like you said and it was probably a result of messing around for hours rather than a planned out type thing. Any flanger or phaser or chorus probably helps with some of the vibe but i doubt its part of the meat. Thx for the suggestions though il try a few different filter types!

you're proabably going wrong trying to get one patch to do it all for you. try using a couple maybe, low mid high etc

you're proabably going wrong trying to get one patch to do it all for you. try using a couple maybe, low mid high etc
Yea i thought that aswell it does sound like it could be more than one layer. I got a bit closer trying something like that. Im starting to think the meat of the sound is a brass sample thats been modulated though.

Yea i thought that aswell it does sound like it could be more than one layer. I got a bit closer trying something like that. Im starting to think the meat of the sound is a brass sample thats been modulated though.

I did read somewhere a long time ago that a horn or something similar was sampled. I doubt you'll come close without some serious luck on your side. I used to try and recreate sounds a lot but I don't bother any more. Just stick to making your own mate and one day you'll stumble across something similar by accident or make something better.

Back
Top Bottom