Trying to figure out this quirky lead synth from Dirtyphonics

Nanostreak

Hi, everyone. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm posting this question here because I know how good you guys are at breaking down various synth/FX sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Um730Erkw
In case the vid isn't available in your country, the track is "Teleportation" by Dirtyphonics.

The synth lead is best heard at around 1 minutes 50 secs; also at 2 mins 33 secs. It sounds like maybe some kind of stacked saw combo; I also hear a slight phaser and distortion effect and maybe some LFO cutoff modulation, as well as some glide and maybe manual pitchbending. I've tried this but haven't really nailed the sound exactly. I know a lot of the character probably comes from processing/FX and it's probably a basic synth patch but I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Can someone please help me with this? Thank you so much.;)

sounds like a saw/reese with one of the oscillators pitched plus 4 - to give the major effect.
and like you said it has some LFO assigned to the cutoff and probably the dry wet of a phaser
and yeah a small bit of glide- gonna see if I can make this

Sounds a bit like the same synth as nero - electron and spor - aztek ??? that's what I hear anyway ;)

I managed to get a similar sound to Aztec kinda by accident...
Obviously needs a lot more processing, but you get the idea...

I think it came about from a weird choir sample I'd got off Freesound - just looped a part, then added distortion and various effects, probably some notch filtering... Bit of a weird way to achieve that sound - if I can find project file I can let you know exactly what I did, although I have a feeling I didn't save the resampling process with the effects chain...

Thanks for the tips, guys. I gave it a shot in one of my VSTs and it already sounds pretty close. I'm half awake now, but when I get a chance I'll put a sample up on Soundcloud to see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom