Trust Interview

sdm

This is Dog Fort
VIP Junglist
TRUST INTERVIEW

trust.jpg

dnbforum had a chat with one of America's sickest Drum & Bass exports, Trust. With releases and forthcoming releases on labels such as G2, Gasm and Eastside, things are certainly looking good for the 27 year old from Philadelphia, USA.

PERSONAL

1. How old are you?

2. Where are you from?

Philadelphia, PA, USA

3. Do you think your location has affected your success in Drum & Bass?

Philly is one of the top drum n bass cities in the world. I think being in a place that has such a strong pedigree in drum n bass and electronic music in general is definitely an asset. There’s a solid crop of producers coming out of Philly at the moment and we are all hitting our stride at about the same time. It’s definitely an inspiring thing to be a part of.

4. What is your first name?

Muhammad

5. Where did the name Trust come from?

Used a few different names early on, but Trust was the one that stuck.

6. How long have you been producing Drum & Bass?

I’ve been playing with synths and making weird noises for over 4½ years. I’ve been producing drum n bass for about 3.

7. Do you DJ, and how long have you been mixing for?

Been spinning for about 3 years.

8. What are your Drum & Bass influences?

Everything really: Dylan, A-sides, Klute, Digital, Keaton, Hive, Ink, definitely Metalheadz, especially the early stuff.

9. Do you have any other musical interests?

I love hip-hop, funk, trip-hop, classical jazz/blues, big beat electronica, etc. - basically anything with a breakbeat and bassline.

10. How did you become involved in the Drum & Bass scene?

I had started toying with production and started going out mainly so I could listen to more drum n bass. I was a regular guest at Dieselboy’s Platinum weekly and would go out to parties every weekend.

11. What did you do before Drum & Bass?

Marketed and sold business software.

12. What is the Drum & Bass scene like in your area?

It’s very strong, lots going on with a solid core of ‘heads’ keeping the vibe alive. A bit overdue for recognition, but we are working on changing that now!

13. 2003 looks to be a good year for Drum & Bass, where do you see it heading?

Hopefully we will continue to see producers pushing themselves to come up with original tracks. Seems like in the last half year are so we finally broke through the stage where everyone was just copying each other.

14. Do you have a web site?

www.gasmrecordings.com

15. What are your favourite Drum & Bass web sites?

www.phillyjunglemassive.com | www.dogsonacid.com | www.dnbforum.com

16. What are your favourite non-Drum & Bass web sites?

www.friendster.com

-CONTINUES BELOW-

DJ/PRODUCER

1. Hardware or software?
Both

2. What hardware/software (use as applicable) do you use to produce?
Emu e5k, LAP 5.5, Recycle, Seq. Circuits Pro One, Yamaha An1x, some outboard fx, and a few plugins.

3. CD/MP3 or vinyl?

Yes, yes and yes. And whatever comes next.

4. Can you describe your sound?

It’s hard to say - as much as possible I tried to create something fresh each time out.. In general most of my tunes have a bit of hard edge to them, although some of the bits I have coming out now are on the feel good tip (e.g. "Soul Sister" on Eastside and "Dilemma" on Gain/G2). But in general my tunes are hard, breakbeat heavy bits. I also tend to gravitate more towards ‘organic’ sounds as opposed to a really synthy, techno-y sound quality and I use quite a lot of ethnic loops and percussion (congas, tabla, tanpura, etc.). One of my main goals when I write is to create whole ‘songs’ - not just throwaway ‘tracks’. I want people to be able to listen to my tunes at home and not get bored - and at the same time have a dj drop the same tune in a club and have the crowd go mad! It’s kind of difficult to do both and I think most producers tend to settle for one or the other.

5. What projects are you currently working on?

Besides working on my own material I run Gasm Recordings alongside my partner Dstar and Myster Mason. We are lining up a solid string of releases for later in the year with material from Mason, Dstar and myself as well as UK heavyweights such as Dylan and a even few up-and-coming names as well. Mason, Dstar and I produce together as Swarm so expect to see lots more from us on various labels.

6. What future projects are in the pipeline?

Got a few things planned for the label that we are keeping under wraps for the moment, but on the production front I am hoping to work more with our emcees as well as other vocalists. We’ve already done a couple of Swarm bits featuring the talented Kameel, so expect more on that front as well.

7. Do you plan to tour soon? If so, where?

Dstar, Armanni, and I are touring the states throughout the summer. If you’d like to book me, please get in touch!

8. Are you working on any other genres other than Drum & Bass?

I’ve been doing a bit of hip-hop lately with our emcee’s Armanni Reign and Sharpness.

9. Are there any Drum & Bass artists you would like to work with?

Hmm... never thought much about it - A-sides and Dylan are cool guys - I wouldn’t mind spending a day in the studio with them and having a couple of laughs. I think someone like Goldie or Klute would be real interesting to work with. I’m really into stuff from Keaton, Hive and Dkay/ill Skillz at the moment. Collaborating with any of those guys would be hot.

10. Is there a certain choon you would like to remix?

I’d love to remix Peshay "The Nocturnal (Back on the Firm)" - this one of the first drum n bass tunes to ready grab me and take me for a ride. I wouldn’t mind taking my turn at Mutationz remix either.

11. Are there any non-Drum & Bass artists you would like to work with?

Massive Attack, Portishead, AR Rehman, Clyde Stubblefield & Jabo’ Starks

12. What Drum & Bass choons are currently at the front of your record box?

Mason - "Dark Fire"
A-sides - "Tabletop Redit"
Pendulum - "Spiral"
D-kay and Rawful - "Forgive Myself"
Swarm - "Soul Sister"
Calyx - "Leviathan"
Dj Alienn - "The Fight"

13. How did it feel when you first heard someone drop one of your choons at a club?

I thought "Boy, that snare needs to come out more"

14. Do you have a favourite "all time" choon?

Probably, Doc Scott "Unofficial Ghost"

15. Turntables.. Technics or Vestax?

Vestwho?

16. MCs. yes, no, or depends?

Absolutely. But then I’m awfully spoiled because Philly has great emcees. Our mc Armanni Reign is one of the most exciting humans I’ve ever heard on a microphone. Everytime I perform with him, someone comes to tell me how much they hate mc’s but how incredible they think Armanni is.

17. Dubplates.. 10 or 12 inch?

No preference really, but the ladies really seem to like my hard, black 12's ;)

18. Computer format.. PC, MAC, or both?

PC

19. Bootlegs.. yes, no, or depends?

All good if they are done properly and not just to make a quick buck.

-CONTINUES BELOW-

OFF TOPIC

1. What is your favourite colour?

Black

2. If you could move from Philly, where would you move to?

Not sure I’d want to move anywhere else for good, but I wouldn’t mind spending a few months in London then taking a nice long vacation in Hawaii!

3. Do you drive, and what do you drive?

Ummm... Ms. Daisy?

4. What is your favourite film?

The Shawshank Redemption

CLOSE

1. Any shouts or final words?

Lots of love for my Gasm family: Mason, Dstar, Armanni Reign, IXS, Sharpness, Sintronic, Kameel. Big up all the philly jungle massive and my hometown heads. Respect to A-sides@Eastside, Dylan@Freak, Ink&Loxy@Architecture, Mackie&Nexxi @Gain/G2, Ronnie@Habit, Luna@Nemcron for picking up on our sound and getting music out there for us. Peace!

-END OF INTERVIEW-

I would just like to thank Trust for taking the time out for the interview - Bigups from the dnbforum.com massive :slayer:

"react" rmx for hardstep track of the summer--boooooomm!!

and big up on that "philly" track, too. oh, and the "new guinea" boot--bringin dem hitz man.

i'll be checkin for ya if and when you get booked to spin in san fran. big up...

Back
Top Bottom