Trouble with my build up to drops

Code:Red

Defiant
VIP Junglist
I've been trying a lot of different things over the past couple of days to really get my build up towards the drop bang on, and to have a full on effect when it drops, so that it hits hard. But i just can't seem to get my drum patterns right e.t.c...e.t.c and it just never sounds right, it just bland and boring..whatever i've been trying. Its frustrating! But is it something in production that really takes a long time to get the hang of? Thanks!

a good pitch bend/riser might be a good place to start to get the feel of the urgency in a drop.

I think there is a lot of generic kick rolls that peeps like original sin etc use a lot but i suppose its about experimentation. i like to use kick rolls that change every so often-say every bar or two right near the actual drop, but some times it may sound a bit too scatty but i suppose its your taste or if it fits your track!

I think a good kick and snare roll, coupled with a rising synth should usually do the trick. You could also filter out the roll too for extra depth.

Hows the file by the way?

work on the velocity of your kicks, if you want that snappy anticpated drop feeling you want to have some velocity built into your kick drum. First hit on the bar should be pretty high velocity followed by a low hit and then a medium one to anticipate the next bar hit. also on the main "drop" you'll want a lil bit of silence before the actual bar.

a good vocal sample to really drive the timing home works for me... i also like a moment of low volume just before the drop and a snare @ 3/4 bar before the drop to lift it in?

Theres a few common things people do just before the drop. Rising synths, small silence, reversed cymbal, effects like TC Filtrator, a few fast kick drums. Just try to listen to some tracks with a great drop and try to copy it.

at the moment i tend to go for .. kick kick snare kick kick kick snare kick (repeat) as my drum beat leading up, and the main synth i use in my intro i make more frequent. Only a noob so probably doesnt help you very much lol

my tip is not to have the kickdrum all the way to the drop, like leave 2 beats clean before the drop, or even a bar and add a vocal sample / reverse crash / white noise to add the "suspense" to the drop, whats good is to have a cool vocal i.e a sentence where the build up stops on the last word of the sentence before ruining the dancefloor.... because dnb is so fast it has to be good tho.

Back
Top Bottom