TRIPLETS

changing the beat division is exactly the same as changing the time signature. In fact the signature of the upper tune you have there is in 6/4.

edit: actually both of them are.

hmm... whats the point in changing the time sig if u can get the same results by by changing quantise/beat grid??? surely the simplest option is to change the beatgrid/quantise because what if u only want triplets for a small portion of the tune, its a lot easier to change the beatgrid temporarily than it is to change the time sig of the whole tune????

and just to point out, i made kung fu is banned in 4/4(time sig) with 1/16T(quantize)

hmm... whats the point in changing the time sig if u can get the same results by by changing quantise/beat grid??? surely the simplest option is to change the beatgrid/quantise because what if u only want triplets for a small portion of the tune, its a lot easier to change the beatgrid temporarily than it is to change the time sig of the whole tune????

That is of course true. I guess the whole point of this discussion is mainly what you state, that how exactly this is done, not the theoreticals of how it works. I just meant that essentially 3/4 (or 6/4 in this case) and using 16th note triplets are the same thing. There are different ways to do it, but the principle is the same and they rely on the same idea of a different time signature. In fact, you just saved me a lot of trouble with a tune I've been working on, since I will now change the grid to 1/6 instead of not quantizing at all (which btw leads to some interesting grooves) so living is learning innit

and just to point out, i made kung fu is banned in 4/4(time sig) with 1/16T(quantize)

I don't want to split hairs, but if you split the grid to triplets (no matter what the project time signature), you are in reality using 6/4 (orhmm...12/8? not sure lol), not 4/4. But I guess this is beside the point as the end result matters, not how you do it. I just like splitting hairs :D

Last edited:
Triplets and time signature changes are NOT the same thing, so please stop saying that they are. It's retarded. They might produce the same result, but they are NOT the same thing. For instance, you can play an occasional triplet in 4/4 time without changing time sig. The difference is when you write it out using musical notation. The three hits are tied together and a '3' is written over it to indicate it is a triplet. The focus is still on the 4/4 time, and no time sig change occurs. Instead, a triplet is played on the beat instead of a one beat long time sig change.

So maybe stop being ignorant and saying things like there is no difference or that triplets are 6/4 time or whatever. Its not.

Triplets and time signature changes are NOT the same thing, so please stop saying that they are. It's retarded. They might produce the same result, but they are NOT the same thing. For instance, you can play an occasional triplet in 4/4 time without changing time sig. The difference is when you write it out using musical notation. The three hits are tied together and a '3' is written over it to indicate it is a triplet. The focus is still on the 4/4 time, and no time sig change occurs. Instead, a triplet is played on the beat instead of a one beat long time sig change.

So maybe stop being ignorant and saying things like there is no difference or that triplets are 6/4 time or whatever. Its not.

Looks like you've studies music theory and notation at some point so I will yield.

^^ Nice input to the thread pete :P

no worries mate.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

I asked google.

"What is a triplet"

Googles Answer:

"tri·pletNoun/ˈtriplit/
1. One of three children or animals born at the same birth.
2. A set or succession of three similar things"

Well its defiantly not the 1st answer, unless we are talking non musical terms. This leaves answer No. 2, which is a pretty basic explanation but describes it well. 'A succession of three similar things'. Change 'things' to 'notes' and BAM you have your answer.

A succession of three similar notes aka a Triplet

Counts/timing

1-e-&
2-e-&
3-e-&

Last edited:
Counts/timing

1-e-&
2-e-&
3-e-&

That's wrong. That is three eight notes. And a rest, the 'ah'. You count 8 notes like "one e and ah two e and ah". If you have hits on "1 e and" it is three hits, but not a triplet.

I asked google.

Well, there's your problem right there, isn't it.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

To be fair I'm not sure how much more clear Innovine could have been bro.

Perhaps people are just plain stupid. I thought it was pretty clear too, plus that I recorded a fucking video showing what a triplet is, in case they were both stupid and illiterate.

I've made tunes before that use a shuffle. Adds some funk to the DnB, but gets hairy with too much especially at higher tempos. This is more equatable to 16th-note triplets. You've still got four ticks between every beat but the 2nd and 4th are slightly more delayed - what we call NOT STRAIGHT 16ths. They're not gay either. They just plain funky.

I hate proper triplets (eight-note triplets) in DnB SO much, it's called clownstep for a reason, don't care what anyone has to say, it's over. Don't put a kick on beat 3 unless you are familiar with real (old) funk music. Though they're making some smashing new stuff out here in Oakland, CA!

I've made tunes before that use a shuffle. Adds some funk to the DnB, but gets hairy with too much especially at higher tempos. This is more equatable to 16th-note triplets. You've still got four ticks between every beat but the 2nd and 4th are slightly more delayed - what we call NOT STRAIGHT 16ths. They're not gay either. They just plain funky.

I hate proper triplets (eight-note triplets) in DnB SO much, it's called clownstep for a reason, don't care what anyone has to say, it's over. Don't put a kick on beat 3 unless you are familiar with real (old) funk music. Though they're making some smashing new stuff out here in Oakland, CA!

cool story bro...

Back
Top Bottom