TRIPLETS

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
I dont quite get it!

I set my DAW to 7/5 (this is right yeah?) and do my beats so theyre still dj friendly but i dont get how it sounds any different or meant to sound different. Same with Timewarp, i cant tell the difference when it changes from 4/4 to triplets. Must be my untrained ear on the subject but would like to embrace it :)

triplets have an extra kick to 4/4.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

triplets

not triplets

altho its not nescesarly 4/4 if there is no kick under the snare. if you get me

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get triplet beats in your DAW if you change the step/beat resolution from 1/16 to 1/12 (which would be 1/8th triplets) or to 1/24 (which would be 1/16th triplets). :)

I think you're confused on what a triplet is. Those example videos were in 4/4 time and did not contain any triplets.
A triplet is fitting 3 beats into the space otherwise occupied by two.. you'd count it like this:
One and two and three and four trip let One...

The one, two, three and four all land on the beat, so count the above along with a 4/4 metronome, and each number comes on the click. You need to speed up a little bit to fit the 'trip' and 'let' counts in. This is a pretty common trick in dubstep. Sometimes its done with the snare (and i think this sounds neat), and its very often done with the wobs.

yeah it has nothing to do with time signature, like you can still have your 4 beats in the bar.

Tap your foot 1, 2, 3, 4 and then start screaming out the window wub-wub-wub, wub-wub-wub, wub-wub-wub, web-web-web.

1 2 3 dubstep.

Edit: are you sure you're not thinking about 6/8 timing rather than triplets. Two bars of 6 could sound like one bar of triplets at a different tempo perhaps?

Last edited:
triplets is essentially just a different beat structure no? it doesnt change the beats per bar, so you still can have a 4 x 4 drum pattern (ie kick snare kick snare on 1, 2, 3, 4) but then have your hats and percussion doing the triplet time sig (and throw in a kick or two on the triplet grid gives a nice offbeat sound).

i always find that the easiest way to tell a triplet beat is:
a) its a funky pattern
b) its shit to mix with

I'd say that example was 4/4, using triplets. The kick is on the one and three, and the snare on the two and four. In between these main beats, are two notes, making up triplets. If there was one note between the main beats, you'd have a housey (1)kick hat (2)snare hat (3)kick hat (4)snare hat, but since its using triplets, you get (1)kick hat hat, (2)snare hat hat, (3)kick hat hat, (4)snare hat hat.

Triplets is NOT a time signature like 4/4 is. Triplets occur when you fit three evenly spaced notes where you would otherwise fit two.

so how is it different to 4/4 if all 4 beats land on the click but ya just adding 2 double time hits between the 4 and then the next bar?

Its not double time. It's a triplet. The three hits are evenly spaced out over the beat. This means that the first hit of the triplet is on the beat, and the other two are NOT on the same 'grid' that other non-triplet notes are on.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:21 ----------

what the fuck.

Think of waltz music.

One two three One two three One two three One two three.

That's 3/4 (or 6/4 or 6/8), or as they say, triplets.

Nope. You are incorrect. Count 3/4 timing as one, two, three, one two three of course, but this doesn't make it triplets. For example, you can count 3/4 time as One and two and three and One and two and three and ... But if it was triplets, it'd be counted as One trip let two trip let three trip let One trip let two trip let Three trip let..
Hope that makes sense.

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

It's probably easiest to demonstrate!

There are three parts. All of them are in 4/4 timing. Notice I don't change the metronome at all.

First is a straight 8-note beat. Notice there are two hihats per metronome click. Second is using triplets. There are three hits per metronome click. Finally is a mix, the first three beats use 8 notes, and the last beat uses triplets.

Last edited by a moderator:
0330triplets400big.jpg
this is the best way i can describe triplets...

FFS! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet#Triplets

A in DAW terms, based on your grid being usually 16 "steps" or 1/16

Change to your grid to:

1/6 = Quarter Note triplets
1/12 = Eighth Note triplets
1/24 = Sixteenth Note triplets

with the exception of 1/6 the first of each group of triplets will be on the beat, so it's still 4/4 just the parts will be off what we are used to being the grid, giving a kind of disjointed feeling. Entirely no need to be changing your DAW to any sort of wacky time signatures as this just changes the number of beats in the bar and what note gets the beat. All you need to do is change the grid which you ought to be able to do, just check for the option. :)

jesus so much wrong in this thread. easy solution, in ur daws quantise setting, change it from 1/16 to 1/16T (maybe slightly different dependant on daw), now u will be able to create beats in triplet format. dont touch the time sig. leave it as 4/4. the triplets ur all refering to is just a beat variation and not the actual tempo/time sig.

Example of what the hell im talking about =

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom