Trip to the UK / Moving

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by dkn, Feb 10, 2010.

1. dkn

dkn boh.

Okay, so my friend and I are planning on moving to the UK probably in the next year or so.
    We are preparing to schedule a trip for two weeks before the actual move. We want to go as soon as possible but within our budget, and I'm finding the cheapest flights between March and June.
    Also, we will be staying in London since I have relatives there, though we will be hitting up other cities that pique our interest as well.

Now, what I would like to know is if any of you know when the best Drum & Bass events are in that time-span. It's not that big of a deal, but it is one of the main reasons we are going to live there. Produce, play, and immerse ourselves in music (mostly dnb). We're already DJs here in our area, but we feel we won't have the same experience growing here as we would there on your side of the water.

tl;dr What are some of the biggest Drum & Bass events that are happening between March and June?
    It seems like a bit of a silly question, because to us, it seems like what we would call "big" over here, happens all the time over there.

I would also like to know, what are some good places to eat in your area? What are some interesting things to do or check out? Any rally, hill climb, or other events of the like? Anything, from restaurants and clubs, to random cool spots and record stores.
    I could easily google-fu up a travel guide but in my opinion, it's much better to ask locals.

Seriously, thanks for the help! :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

http://www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php?pub_id=154 if you are in london that pub is well worth visiting, my favourite pub in the world, and pretty cheap for that part of london. i don't think they sell beers for more than £3 a pint, and its all proper nice organic beer.

gotta go to uni now, but will put up more stuff later

3. dkn

dkn boh.

Thanks man, I definitely like stuff like this. That pub looks awesome. It will be absolutely mandatory that we visit that one.

4. Scythe

Scythe New Member

5. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

6. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

do you wanna swap places.. i got a nice flat in portsmouth, just over an hour away on the train.. you can book train tickets in adavance nice and cheap.. and i live on the harbour, in near distance to portsmouth and southampton .. basically what i mean is ..

wtf are you doing moving from California ????

7. dkn

dkn boh.

I would kill to see RAM @ Matter!

I've been checking the calendar for Fabric and Matter but they only list the current month and the next. Here's my dilemma: The sooner I book my flight, the cheaper it will be. The cheapest I can get happens to be two or three months from now. So, it's beginning to sound like I'll need to get lucky on early tickets, or I'm fucked!

Haha! Believe me, I know San Diego is great. The weather is awesome almost all year round, lots of great people around, and there's plenty to do (sort of).
    But, it gets old. It's still very expensive to live here, the drum & bass scene is tiny in comparison, there's no racing here really, the ski resorts around here are cool but not nearly as good as places in Europe.
    It just seems like all the things that are important to me right now are in the UK or Europe in general. I need a change of pace, I need a different perspective, and whatever happens while I live there, I know it will be an invaluable experience. In the end, I'll come back to California and be more grateful for what I have here.

I could go much further into detail about why I want to move but that's the gist of it lol.

8. PhorceOfHabit

PhorceOfHabit Seldom

Rams at Matter are the first friday of every other month (with the next one being 2/4/10) and Hospitality's are the first friday of every month in between :)

9. dkn

dkn boh.

Ohhhh okay that makes things much easier. So, April it is. Thank you, this is a big help!
    Now, I'm still looking for more things to do in the UK, but at least I have an accurate time frame.

10. gcurt1s

gcurt1s Buried Audio

LONDON IS MISERABLE AND THE PEOPLE ARE HORRIBLE

BUT if you've realised that and still wanna move i suggest checking out the club plastic people for pure bass experience. Also you cant go wrong with a renegade hardware night, likewise shogun at lightbox. You've gotta hit bristol because the dnb scene is just as good if not better than london atm.

11. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

too true.. england is a cold grimey country i hope you know... BUT the dnb scene is un-comparable

12. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

come to the country whenever it suits you, and just look at events a week or so in advance of leaving, there will be good lineups guaranteed across the capital and bristol, and should you decide to head north towards manchester/sheffield/leeds there's always something happening up here too.

13. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

i will always love london but ironically i'd much prefer to live in the US, i'd very much like to live in the east coast as i feel naturally drawn to it. i would also very much like to visit fes at least once and stroke his beard in a very sexual, but mostly plutonic way.

14. dkn

dkn boh.

Yeah I'm aware of all of that.. but it's okay. It's that sort of different world that attracts me even more, and I'll always have SD to come back to. I would also love to see Shogun Audio @ Lightbox, along with Renegade Hardware, and Playaz. Ram @ Matter is at the top of the list though for those two weeks I'll be there, but when I move, I plan on attending all of these. I will DEFINITELY be in Bristol too. Really, anywhere with a good lineup, good sound, and most of all: good vibes.

Good deal. I will be scoping out everything in the couple weeks before departure for sure.

Has anyone been skiing or snowboarding at Cairngorm or Nevis Range? Nevis Range looks pretty good, but all the other ski resorts in the UK seem kinda boring. :( Luckily, the alps are right across the water for when we move!

15. dkn

dkn boh.

This may be obvious, but it seems the most similar city we have to London would be New York (lol).
    BTW your sig is awesome.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  16. Gumby

Gumby New Member

i am also moving to england next year.

will proabably stay for a year (y)