Trip Hop

Shotty

HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN
VIP Junglist
Just started gettin into this, got DJ Shadow - Entroducing, Massive Attack - Bluelines & Mezzanine albums today... Anyone got any other reccomendations???

Yeah I only got into trip-hop quite recently but these are my suggestions:

Aim - Cold Water Music
Amon Tobin - The Foley Room
Howie B - Music For Babies
Tricky - Maxinquaye (Think that's the right spelling)
UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
Anything by Portishead

whats triphop? calm instrumental hiphop?

cus scince u labelled dj shadow - endtroducing as trip hop now u gopt my attention. that album was massive. all about mightnight in a perfect world and what does your soul look like. looking for more like that..

cus scince u labelled dj shadow - endtroducing as trip hop now u gopt my attention. that album was massive. all about mightnight in a perfect world and what does your soul look like. looking for more like that..

The way I figure it is its like dancey hip hop, but heres what Wikipedia has to say on it:

Trip-hop is a music genre also known as the Bristol sound. The trip-hop description was applied to the musical trend in the mid-1990s of downtempo electronic music that grew out of England's hip hop and house scenes. It is often rejected as a term by those artists to whom it is applied. It has also been described as "Europe's alternative of choice in the second half of the '90s", and a one-up fusion "of Hip-Hop and Electronica until neither genre is recognizable." [1] It is thus categorized as a fairly experimental genre, and sometimes with elements of Dance.

The style is characterized by the reliance on breakbeats and a sample-heavy, often moody sound pioneered by Coldcut's remix of Eric B. & Rakim's "Paid in Full". Trip hop gained notice via popular artists such as Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Björk, Thievery Corporation, Amon Tobin, and rock-influenced sound groups such as Ruby, Bristol band Ilya, California's DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist, Unkle, and the UK's Gorillaz, Howie B., Morcheeba, originating from Hythe in Kent, Londoners Glideascope, New York's Bowery Electric, and Seattle's Anomie Belle[2] are also often associated with this sound. Massive Attack's debut album Blue Lines, is seen as the "blueprint" for the genre.[3] Various American hip hop artists and albums have been influenced by trip hop. Examples include the Deltron 3030 (album), artists Cannibal Ox, Mos Def, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, and producers Dan The Automator and Madlib.

One of my fav Trip Hop tunes is: Massive Attack - Dissolved Girl, you will recognize it from The Matrix when Neo's asleep at his computer.

ColdCut do some good stuff,
also not entirely trip hop but a cross with electronica, try leftfield - leftism is an awesome album

Blockhead - Music By Cavelight
Blockhead - Downtown Science

Two of my fav albums ever.

Aim and DJ Shadow are sraight up Hip Hop if you ask me...

Examples include the Deltron 3030 (album), artists Cannibal Ox, Mos Def, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, and producers Dan The Automator and Madlib.

That from wiki was the biggest load of shit ever.

The Aim Fabriclive (17) is class. highly reccomended, id say it has elements of trip hop.

I can't think of any artist that is entirely trip hop, its quite a far out style and so most that make it tend to make something else at the same time.

Last edited:
Trip hop is Hip Hop for vegitarians, pesto layed beats for scarf loving students, :teeth:

Joking aside its cool, AIM is spot on and all others mentioned

Thievery Corporation - (Pretty much anything by them is great)
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Zero 7
Gramatik
Lemon Jelly
Deadbeats

Check the Mushroom Jazz Compilations by Mark Farina (lots of good bits on those mixes)

Just heard this LP called 14 by a guy named John Kennedy - really great stuff

Check lotsa stuff on Ninja Tunes. Did some sick compilations including XEN - 10 Years, and Scratchmological Exploitation (summat like that) my ex took it so can't check.

Kruder & Dorfmeister make nice music, Portishead are the masters, lotta nice stuff out there.

Thievery Corporation - (Pretty much anything by them is great)
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Zero 7
Gramatik
Lemon Jelly
Deadbeats

Check the Mushroom Jazz Compilations by Mark Farina (lots of good bits on those mixes)

Just heard this LP called 14 by a guy named John Kennedy - really great stuff

Oh my gawwwd, your like on the drum and bass forum and your like, talking about trip hop . Its like, so wrong, like having a tatoo of drum and bass on your arm and like, changing it for trip hop the next day. :ban:

Oh my gawwwd, your like on the drum and bass forum and your like, talking about trip hop . Its like, so wrong, like having a tatoo of drum and bass on your arm and like, changing it for trip hop the next day. :ban:

Respect your elders there lad,

was only pointing it out cause i thought it was funny. Didn't mean to get you all bent out of shape.

:rolleyes:

it's nothing like having a tattoo and changing it next day.

If you only listen to dnb you're missing out / narrow minded.:rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom