Trip Hop?

B

BDS

Anyone know their stuff?

Ive recently been getting into tricky and need some reccomendations if you'd be so kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kinda like a gammy leg business, you know, old war wound, shot inthe knee. Trip, hop, trip, hop. But don't laugh never laugh, it's not funny.

Anyone know their stuff?

Ive recently been getting into tricky and need some reccomendations if you'd be so kind.

Sounds like Hip Hop to me. Not sure what Trip Hop does that Hip Hop doesn't... I'm pretty sure there's no vocals in Trip Hop for starters.

808 State did some Trip Hop back in the day 'I think'.

Sounds like Hip Hop to me. Not sure what Trip Hop does that Hip Hop doesn't... I'm pretty sure there's no vocals in Trip Hop for starters.

Think you're right trip hop is meant to be instrumental but I think the beats have to be a bit more abstract than your standard hip hop beat. Don't really know much about the genre though so not really sure what makes a tune trip hop.

This is some good trip hop though

bds, maxinquaye is trickys only album that sounds like that, so for more of the same there is the holy trinity of triphop:
massive attack (dub and reggae inspired triphop), portishead (jazz insipired triphop) and gotan project (tango inspired triphop).
then there is of course tricky, which is tricky inspired triphop.
like i said trickys later work is one million percent more personal and quite apart from the sound on maxinquaye.
i love some of it and i skip some of it. you really have to be into tricky to 'get it'.
triphop is one of those genres that was assimilated into all music but didnt really go further on its own. but the remnants can be found in anything from nelly furtado to nurse with a wound.
these days they call it downtempo (i think) and there is a plenthora of awesome artists carrying the vibe on. bonobo, theivery corporation, tortoise, bugsquad, dj shadow (early work), nightmares on wax, unkle, amon tobin and so forth. go forth and funk my son.

i need to get that album

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

listening now, a mate brought it in, its real real good. but its not trip hop its tricky-music. rock backed by programmed drums and trickys extremely quirky vocal arrangements.

I might give it a go again, I listened to it a while ago but only once, perhaps another try might help. I spent a few years in Knowle so I should keep it real. Brap brap n all that.

Back
Top Bottom