Trawling Youtube

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So after finally downloading Audacity to grab some samples, I ventured to youtube to see what gems I could find. Only to discover I have no idea what to search for lol!

I'm after grabbing good vocal samples / movie samples / news samples etc etc. I've already typed in the search these things but it's so vast I didnt come up with anything worthwhile.

So, for all you guys who grab samples from youtube, what search criteria do you type in? How do you narrow it down? Or do you just sit there for days hoping to find something worthwhile?

for dubstep n dnb...well depends what style ur doin..

grimey/dark/filthy tracks try gangster movies, horror movies and heavy machinery lol

for liquid/mellow/or dancefloor vibes try soul classics, motown and any vocal sample you think u can use....

eg a a long held note by a singer - layer a cymbal, add some reverb, a slight echo to add a tail..low volume and cut to repeat... add that in the drop and it adds thickness and depth to your track! jus an eg tho..

Dude I think you misunderstood.....

I'm not asking how to build drops or anything, or what styles go with what.

I'm asking what search criteria people use on youtube. I already stated I wanted movie samples / vocals / news snippets etc but they bring up a vast amount of shit. I was curious to know if anyone used specific search words to narrow it down a little....

.....Damn I hate repeating myself.....

Anything Cult or classic...stuff that reminds you of being a kid etc...

theres some good samples to be had in old cartoons...like defenders of the earth, visionaries, jace and the wheel warriors

trailers always good... 'b movie horror' or summat then just look at interesting titles.... the older the more likely to be narrated and therefore have the cleanest samples

Yeahh youtube is great for sampling. I found out that when working on a dark neurofunk track stuff like interviews with serial killers or other criminals, horror movies, action movies and more of that stuff is great to sample.
Actually I don't know what to type. When I'm looking for something dark you could just add the word 'dark' or 'creepy' in the search term. And yeahh, just watch a lot of movies to find more vocals, it's all about the effort you put in it. :D

lol man.. i love how appreciative people are :| ... lets try again...

search for top 10 movie quotes on youtube .. top 10 horror quotes, game quotes, anything really.

hopefully ull realise im taking time out of my life to answer your question, so learn to be thankful.

hehe fuck sake fletch, do u want me to load up a DAW and write a dnb track for you as well while im at it :P

I dont want to spoil your fun but for me at least it's kind of a must to support anything that you sample. I use a lot of warezed accapellas in my tunes but recently I've started buying stuff that has sample potential, like funk or soul compilation CD's or old horror movies. You can get them dead cheap sometimes too.

Plus youtube quality is usually pretty shite.

He was only trying to help, no need to reply like that

You're probably right mate, maybe I did go off the deep end there alittle, so apologies to the guy I snapped at, no hard feelings dude.

hehe fuck sake fletch, do u want me to load up a DAW and write a dnb track for you as well while im at it :P

Actually...yes......yes I do lol!

How do you record from audacity?

Just hit the record button, then press play on the youtube channel and it will record. You have to have the "stereo mix" enabled on your PC for it to work

Last edited:
Just hit the record button, then press play on the youtube channel and it will record. You have to have the "stereo mix" enabled on your PC for it to work

Nice one mate. I'm tryin it on my mac at the moment though. That's why I'm hving trouble I think.

I'm gonna have some right fuckin jump up bangers on the way soon! :D

Back
Top Bottom