Trawler, dubsteppish thing.

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by subprime, May 2, 2010.

1. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

I haven't been getting anywhere much at 173, so I had a go at a dubstep tempo.

I've given it a first mixdown although the last part was on headphones as my kid's sleeping right next to me now.

Feedback/criticism is welcome/needed.
    Cheers ears.
    http://soundcloud.com/subprime/trawler

2. Quartus

Quartus Member

Really really nice stuff mate.
    But for me, the bass is to quiet. IT HAS TO PUSH!!!

Really like the sounds, even they are not perfect mastered. IMO

here's the criticism: I HATE THE SNARE :)

3. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

HOLY SHIT!!!!! Am I seeing things here?? A track posted up by Subprime lol!!!

Damn, since I've been a member here I think I've only ever seen one track posted up by you and that was in the forum comp lol! I cant wait to get home and listen to this now!!

4. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

@ Quartus - Cheers man. I did have the bass sitting nicely while I was working on it, but I do seem to have lost it a bit during the mix. I'll probably have another go at mixing this down in a week or so.

@ Fletch - Cool man, thanks. I'm a slow learner. Not exactly prolific lol.

5. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

yeah the sounds are nice, but for me the intro is too long.. the drop is ok, but as quartus said the snare is a bit strange and doesnt fit in too well, and the sub is too low in the mix.

apart from that, i like the breakdown with those vocals, but maybe drop a few sounds more? making it the exact opposite of the drop?

nice ideas you got there. id say go back and finish it!

6. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Intro is a little long but I think it helps to build the anticipation of the track. Bass could be a little louder but I like the almost rock type sound it has. And I echo what others have said about the snare, seems reverbed and doesnt fit too well.

Really good breakdown, good use of vocals and again it holds the anticipation of the track. Nice to hear something from you mate, I like it.

7. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Cheers Fletch. Yeah, I can change the snare easy enough. Is it the actual sound of the sample, or just the mixdown? (I was aiming for a slightly industrial, tinny, not-snare snare sound)

It is reverbed, and when I had a go at mastering it I think I've accentuated the high end/reverb or something (and pushed the bass back at the same time).

A rock sound? Ha, I think I always end up there, being an old dude who grew up wanting to be Slash, or any other guitarist with long hair and ripped jeans.

8. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Mixdown sounds fine so I think it's just the actual sample that sounds off. It definately sounds like some sort of industrial hit, but it just doesnt flow with the track (IMO). Oh and dont worry, I'm an old dude too lol!

Yeah your bass sounds almost like its coming from an electric guitar!!!! I like it

9. co0ke

co0ke windowlicker

niiice man, good to hear something by ya! glad u havnt just banged some shit out on the lfo too! you got some wicked samples going in there, vibes. sometimes the hats sound a bit unrelated to each other, i think it would benefit from a more cohesive feel. bit more bass would be cool cos the only time lowend is coming through for me really is on the kick. on the whole though this was interesting to listen to man, pretty fresh aswell - hope you keep on it.

ps i had no problems with the snare, quite like it

10. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

@ cooke - I know what you mean about the hats, I couldn't decide. One time they sounded alright, next time they sounded out etc. Could definitely be cleaned up a bit.

11. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

sounds good mate.
    likin the bass
    bu i recon its needs to be cleaned up a bit sounds a bit messy but thats just my personal preference

12. Protoplasym

Protoplasym Nuskool

Hmmm, the Horn is interesting.

The 'booooonnnn' layer on the SD is awesome!

I can't really hear the Sub in my headphones, but that Mid Range layer is cutting through nicely.
    Wow, the vocal at 2:20ish is badass! In all honesty, the hats that are playing during that BrkDwn don't work imo... makes the breakdown sound very disjointed. 2nd BrkDwn is much smoother.

Outro works.

All in all, very intersting... I like it.
    :solid:

13. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Thanks man. Yeah there's stuff that needs cleaning up, not sure how I left those hats like that, and not sure where the sub went when I mixed it down. Still lots to learn.

Really appreciate all the feedback.

14. Stiffer

Stiffer Member

yeah its grimey, i like the industrial feel to it, the bass and sub seem a little far back in the mix to me??
    i like the use of the vocal sample and all the eerie pad like effects add to the weird feel of the tune..

good work man

15. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Went back to this one and fixed the bass level, the hats in the breakdown, tweaked a few things. Pretty much might call it finished for now.

Soundcloud's updated if you want to hear it :)

16. Robert G

Robert G Member

Sounds a bit repetative but well produced, try and make the whole tune as interesting as the outro and your onto a winner.

17. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

needs more sub bass!

Also theres a bit too much going on in the intro before the drop imo, I think you need to get rid of some of the sounds

Not a bad track over all tho

18. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

yeah im liking this. the swords/sounds and effects and that are wicked! i would remove them from the breakdown at like 2.16 and just have the vocals, personally they sound a bit out of place there. but its a good tune the saxophones and vocals and everything are badman

19. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Thanks guys. Nice spot on the swords Lucid, there's also window wipers in there somewhere.
    Definitely it seems I've let my concept for the track, (which was the constant hammer and tongs of the industrialised world attacking the earth, ignoring the voice of warning) affect my judgement of what works musically. Hence the busy nature etc.

Anyway, I'm just trying to force myself to finish some projects and get some feedback. Hopefully that will help me progress a bit faster.

Cheers all.