Travelling

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Time Dependant, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

Easy all, I'm having a few thoughts about breaking away from it all for a year & going travelling. Problem is I've never done this before so I'm hoping the forum heads can give some helping tips into these main things:

The Essentials - What are the bare essentials I need to take to survive

Locations- I've got a few down on paper but would like some recommendations of great places you all been or know are worth checking.

Money - Always comes into conversations, so what's the ideal amount to take.

Work - Is it worth working while I'm away?

Cheers people hope to hear some good responses.

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

Before asking people to suggest Laos or the Phi Phi islands, you need to sort out your budget. Coz badly planned expenses, will end your trip in Cornwall, having to suck off passers by for a train ticket.
    Also, ya need to think of how far you wanna get? cause a Europe trip and a tour of the Philipines is a whole diff matter.

Now..
    working abroad isnt the best idea really. I guess you live in England, and tbh, you aint gonna find a place that pays better money for simple jobs. You much better off working your ass here, and spendin the mighty British Pound abroad. Plus, if going outside the EU, youll be needin to get workin visas, which is quite a husle, and usualy it costs a bit too, in contrast to free tourist visas.
    For bare essentials, the only thing i can think of, is some good company. Travelling alone can be fun, but its always better to have someone to get wasted with, laught at, or lend a buck from...Bit of warning here tho, make sure thats someone you defo get along with. Theres nothing worse than to fall out with a mate when away. Youll just spend the rest of your holidays not talking to each other, and/or whingin to your other mates about him...

have fun, and by the way:
    dont go to Greece, we hate foreigners there, youve been warned...

:teeth: :nadia:

3. 12 inch grinch

12 inch grinch Active Member

ive got 6 months bookedf of for travelling im going to
    sao paulo slums for a fhew weeks and then im off to iraq gona be hevy any one got any tips hot spots for plesurable viewing on my stay

4. mesh

mesh Active Member

if you make it to Oz let us know Sayber .. Gordo is pretty right about pound power too, it stands up well, and fuck it you dont wanna be working on your holiday hey?
    It is easy to get traveller-type jobs here though, specially for ze Engleesh.
    what about New Zealand / Pacific Islands as a destination too?

anyway, as for essentials: walkman + CD wallet (or ipod, whatever), inflatable neck pillow, mini-torch and earplugs for those badly lit yet noisy hostels, and your own pillowcase. Dont ask, you'll see why :pat:

:slayer:

5. V Matt

V Matt Member

Locations - A lot of people get on of those round the world tickets where you start from the UK and fly west or east stopping wherever you want, they are usually valid for a year and the times are quite flexible. Flying west you could do something like -> South America -> NZ -> Australia -> SE Asia -> India -> Africa -> Europe -> UK. Obviously you couldn't do all those places, a lot of people seem to do South America -> NZ or Australia -> SE Asia. Definately recommend SE Asia, been to Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia etc. all well worth visiting :2thumbs:

Essentials - really don't need to take much, with the exception of a couple of places like Hong Kong everywhere is much cheaper than the UK so you can just buy clothes etc. when you get there. Most essential things I suppose would be things that might be difficult to get abroad like a spare pair of glasses if you wear them. Make sure you get any vacinations / malaria tablets etc. before you go though.

Money - as I said before, a lot of countries are much cheaper than the UK. South America and SE Asia you can survive on virtually nothing. The more the better I suppose, you don't have to spend it all.

Work - I would rather save all the money in this country so I didn't have to work but a lot of people work when they get to Australia or New Zealand 'cos there is no language barrier and they are most like the UK. Also if you are going on other places afterwards you wouldn't have to take to much money 'cos you can earn some while you're away. Personally though, if I was in Australia or NZ I would rather spend my time out in the countryside for most of it rather than stuck in Sydney or Melbourne or some other city.

Hope this helps but really you need to do as much research as you can on the places you are thinking about visiting to get an idea of how much it will cost, what to do & where to go etc.

6. Reactor Grits

Reactor Grits lick a shot

im in amsterdam brother! its a one way trip. shamone!

7. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

ye, ive heard of many many people, gone for a weekend to Amsterdam, and are still there, working behind a coffe shop bar, handing out weed to stoned tourists...ah..the good life..
    if this DJ ting doesnt work out, im getting one of them jobs..
    :rinsed:

8. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

I got back from Thailand a month or so ago, it was fucking awesome.........only there for 6 weeks though.

Don't bother taking too much stuff with you, as people have said, you can kit yourself out in country....probably be worth taking some solid shoes or something with you......the sizes are really small over there (only up to about 10UK) and being a size 14, I would have had some problems. A walkman/MD is essential, then buy some speakers out there for nothing and sell them to some other traveller before you come back home....really good way to keep the cash up.

I would reccomend Thailand strongly.....it was amazing: food, beaches, bitches, culture, people.....just everything about it really.....

The southern islands are good fun, but I found it was all a bit too western, great for a few days and nights out, but a bit too much like a hot home. Go up north to Places like Chiang Mai, a lot more culture and nobility about it....from there you can go to see some of the less touristy places as well as Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and the like. Also, go on a trekking thing to see the hilltribe villages........they have no electricity, don't speak Thai (v much), and have their own way of living, almost unaffected by the government.

Other places, which I haven't been to, but my friends have been to are: South America (enuff shizzle for your nizzle to sizzle all night, and all at a very affordable price) including places like Peru, Brazil, Ecuador, Chile, Colombia etc. Aus and NZ are meant to be quite good fun, but if you're looking for something completely different culture-wise...then perhaps not the place to go. Also, a few of my mates went to India and said it was fucking good....a proper culture shock.....bodies floating down the Ganges, pigs eating human remains etc etc, just watch out for the "Chicken" (Dog) curries though! Also, you'd have to check a Goa rave or two.

As to company, going with a really good mate is essential. I can't stress that enough. I went with a mate who I knew would be abrasive from time to time and there were a fair few meals when we said absolutely nothing to each other, just stared at the TV in the corner and chain smoked like Frenchmen. It would be good fun to go by yourself, depending how prepared you are to do it......the best thing about travelling is that you're not considered weird if you actually go and talk to completely random people in a bus queue, or waiting in a 7 11 etc...these can often lead to meeting up and going to various other parts of the country and good friendships.

Have fun man, good luck, and remember: The choice is yours!

9. Time Dependant

Time Dependant Jungle Hunter

Damn quick responses, sounds like you've all got first hand experience with travelling which is defo a good thing.Locations I've thought of so far are LA, Brazil, Fiji, Sydney, Bangkok, India, & then of to sunny Barcelona to finish it off.
    In answer to your questions:
    Gordo - I'm aiming to take £4000 with me after I've paid for my ticket, which from what I'm hearing sounds like it could last a long time in Asia & surrounding areas which will work out nicely if I want to stick to a budget. NOt sure on travelling withanyone just yet as I'm just thinking about doing it & I don't want to say to one mate about it & their up 4 it for the first month then bail altogether after 2 weekends.

12" - Pack a vest my friend!!

Mesh - Corse I'll let you know man would be good to meet a forum head from the other side of the world, would be quite trippy but damn good fun. I think I know what your getting at with the pillow case some places I've stayed at are shit pits & I wouldn't even laymy head onthewindow let alone the bed.My bro's gonna be in Sydney in december he's gonna be working for 6 months so it gives me even more reason to go.

V Matt - Yer I had a look on STA travel& they do the round the world tickets & you can pretty much pick & choose where you go. I can see your point about the work thing so I think a second jobmayhave to be looked at very soon.

Tooez - Thailand is one the list bro!! :mr_cool:

Reactor Grits - Keep smoking :eek:

10. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

shanghai, it the place to be at the moment. lots of pretty asian girls, the population of the city is 13.5 million, and the dj scene is just starting to take off there, with breakbeat being at the forefront (a lot of people there want to go to london but they can't afford to, so the london sound is very big there, including dnb). Oh, and its 15rmb to the pound so your money can go a long way there, everything is so cheap there. (y)

11. V Matt

V Matt Member

Depending on what sort of person you are you might want to think about just doing it on your own. I went away for about 6 months by myself and it was great. Gave me the chance to do exactly what I wanted and go where I wanted without having to worry about anyone else and I never got bored or lonely because I met so many other people while I was travelling. Managed to have a good laugh with loads of people while still be able to do stuff independently when I felt like it. It worked for me though because I'm quite happy with just my own company for a long time, not everyone is like that. Looking at the places you've thought about going to they are all safe for people on their own as well.

12. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

that should last you for a trip round the globe, and still have enuff to buy your mates a pint when youre back.
    just dont do anything silly like have all the money on ya, in a pouch...travelers checks is the way forward, coz pickin cash of ATMs cost like 5 euro extra each time.
    If youre in the Indonesia area, pls pls check out Malaysias Kuala Lumpur. Briliant city, really. And look for "Backspin Records" shop. nice lil section with old DnB. I picked there Decoders first rec on Hardleader for £4..!!
    And the guys dont mind anyone having a go at the Pioneer DJM 600...sweet!

13. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Oh yeah.....as an afterthought on ATM bizniz: go to Nationwide and get one of their VISA current account things and say you're going travelling in the near future. You get charged nothing when you withdraw from foreign ATMs, and the exchange rate is much better than normal. Some other banks might do it as well, but it was well handy, otherwise you end up with a bill of a couple of hundred squid when you get back, just for drawing money out of a machine! :ban: