Transitioning?

PandaMindset

Does not eat bamboo.
Does anyone have any nice suggestions for transitioning new beats when working on a tune? You know, to get the kind of variation that a good tune requires. I find it difficult to make a new beat and make it match somewhat with the older one and my transitions are often to hard.

Not talking djing here but producing tracks.

:)

absolutely, the transitions are the most difficult thing to get right. a good transition does soo much for a tune. we have a standard formula but long samples that spazzes out in the end can help transitions. for example.

listen to Metrik - T1000. Full of variation, but not to difficult to hear what he is doing. I think its that tune anyways...

i find either building up or building down works quite well for me when i wana bring in new elements... building down normally for a new b-line variation...

but your right, transitions are damn hard! but done well, really get ya choon flowwing...

good thread =)

transitions as always depends on the music and the style.

I have 2 big ideas about this, one is adding some longtailed sounds (with long decays and long release settings) before anything new comes in
or having a silence like 1/8 before the next bar and then just add the new sounds loudly.

on a side note, when writting tracks with too many elements, a raw change is sometimes accepted by the ears cause it brings something new and unexpected, you just gotta be sure that, when that new part comes in, has like 1/16 or 1/8 bar sounding a bit higher than the rest of the song (crash cymbals, bass stabs, and such stuff)

just remember that there would be no concept of sound if there wouldn't be silence. Silent parts are a very important piece of music production to keep the listener interested imo

there would be no concept of sound if there wouldn't be silence. Silent parts are a very important piece of music production to keep the listener interested imo

oh fo sho!

doing 'cuts' in a track like a dj may do in a set can really help add variety and transition you to the next phase!

Try also changing a subtle element instead of changing the whole beat. For example you have a shaker sound going tica tica tica tica - do your regular fill without it, like changing the snare placement in the loop or use toms or whatever, but after that introduce another layer to your snare and change the shaker to a nice ride bell for example, or a hihat.

oh fo sho!

doing 'cuts' in a track like a dj may do in a set can really help add variety and transition you to the next phase!

I guess you didn't get my point... anyway.

seriously, this is not your forum mate.
Go to D-efo_O-ther.A-rea for that intense trolling and unfriendlyness, where some people may find it funyy...

just remember that there would be no concept of sound if there wouldn't be silence. Silent parts are a very important piece of music production to keep the listener interested imo

Nice one Neomind =D
Straight outta that Current Value track too
Or at least thats what sprung to mind when i read it lol

Personally im a favour for the reverse reverb effect, which youll find in alot of horror films
Even reverse samples are pretty banging in their own way
Dynamic panning can be excessive but effective
Also try automating the reverbs wet and dry dial ;)

Last edited:
I guess you didn't get my point... anyway.

seriously, this is not your forum mate.
Go to D-efo_O-ther.A-rea for that intense trolling and unfriendlyness, where some people may find it funyy...

a) fuck you
b) yes i got your point, and i could wax lyrical on the mechanics of this if you want?
b) serious point i was making, giving advice!
c) i produce and am signed so this is my forum
d) you didnt get my point... at the end of 8/16/32 bars (not all either or!) i like to mute everything for 1/4 bar so that when the next phase comes in it has extra boom!

normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

Personally im a favour for the reverse reverb effect, which youll find in alot of horror films

is this to bounce reverse a sound, add reverb, bounce it and then reverse it so its 'the right way round'? wicked effect, well good for backwards but forwards sounding speach :D

ROFL!!!
these replies are PURE gold...
Just chill Richie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0QNE

sorry mate... did fly off the handle a little!

but to insinuate i dont know what your saying, calling me a troll (well i am a troll, but only where it is deserved!), and tell me the production forum aint my place when i was offering advice and agreeing with you i thought was well out of order!

anyway, water under the bridge!

group-hug.jpg

oh fo sho!

I thought you were like... being sarcastic... and stating that my ideas were useles as if a DJ can do that, why should you do these silent(quieter) parts ("cuts").

my bad, sorry! =)

is this to bounce reverse a sound, add reverb, bounce it and then reverse it so its 'the right way round'? wicked effect, well good for backwards but forwards sounding speach :D

Spot on =]
But instead of using the whole reverbed sample,
Just cut off the reversed tail and slam it infront othe the next loop/drop/etc

Back
Top Bottom