transferring real emotion into your track

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
Have any of you had a life experience that made you exceptionally emotional, and decided to channel the resulting emotions into your music?

I ask this as my mum recently passed away from lung cancer, we new it was coming, just not as soon as it did. Obviously it was devastating, and im still very raw about it now. However I decided to try and pour my emotions into my productions but the greiving process has left me uninspired. I have serious writers block.

So have any of you experienced something and successfully managed to portray your feelings into a track? If so id love you to post up the track in here with a description of your experience and what you felt at the time. Lets see if it comes across to the rest of us.

Sorry to hear about your mum bud, you have my sympathy and all that.

I found that finding a sample, quote, theme that you associate with a point in time of your life is a good start. Then you can build something around a core that means something.

Also, just take some time off. Go do something outside or physical that will clear your head. Then come back and no doubt you'll have a fresh approach to things.

Take care.

Sorry so to hear that... Take good care of yourself

On the issue: I agree with above. Look for a song (not necessarily dnb/dubstep/dance music) that gives the emotion and feeling you are looking for and listen to how they did it.

And also, to get emotion in tracks, chord progression is essential (in my opinion). An atmosphere or a track with no real chord progression just gives a certain vibe. But real chords (in pads, pianos, rhodes, strings, whatever) can convey an emotion real fast.

So sorry to hear about your mum

I wouldn't try and force the creativity, the grievance will overpower everything and channeling that into a tune will more than likely happen naturally over time without you even realising it.

Sorry for your loss bud.

This is not the first time I did this, but can't really explain it. It is a very quick but massive urge to reduce your grievance and come to terms with this new reality.

most of my tracks reflect my state of mind in one way or another, theres a couple that when i hear, just bring everything back, good and bad...i'm not sure i try to channel my feelings directly, it just kinda happens that way?

this one in particular...brings back some dark times...even 4 years later

soundcloud.com/5meo/john-miszt-sleepless-nights/s-zqZ2A

(private link so it wont embed unfortunetly)

sorry for your loss mate

Sorry to hear about your loss.

The track in my sig is me pouring my emotions into my music. Usually when I am sad or depressed I write my best stuff.

And also, to get emotion in tracks, chord progression is essential (in my opinion). An atmosphere or a track with no real chord progression just gives a certain vibe. But real chords (in pads, pianos, rhodes, strings, whatever) can convey an emotion real fast.

How do you do that in a dnb/techsteppy neuro tone without it turning all poppy or liquidy? The Kryptic Minds 'lost all faith' album (incidentally inspired by one of the artists brothers dying) is pretty banging yet orchestral and chordy, but it drifts into cheese in places. Would be good if anyone can recommend some other stuff with chords that aren't gay.

How do you do that in a dnb/techsteppy neuro tone without it turning all poppy or liquidy? The Kryptic Minds 'lost all faith' album (incidentally inspired by one of the artists brothers dying) is pretty banging yet orchestral and chordy, but it drifts into cheese in places. Would be good if anyone can recommend some other stuff with chords that aren't gay.

Fair point.
But I think it's more how the chords are used and integrated in the tune. If you change chords every count, it'll get cheesy fast. Give chords space, some background, a smooth/deep bass and some good drums and let magic happen :teeth:
Had a stroll trough my music though (like, a fast stroll) and these came out

DRS - Soul Remembers. Not sure if this counts since it's like 3 chords, but still.
Ivy Lab - Afterthought/ Live on your smile
Roygreen & Protone - Raindrop (and other stuff from these guys)
Alot of tunes from Tokyo Prose
Alix Perez - Fade Away
Kimyan Law - Eclairage

How do you do that in a dnb/techsteppy neuro tone without it turning all poppy or liquidy?
Chromatic chords (up/down one semitone at a time) chords that don't all belong to the same key, some kinds of added tone chords (I like m9 or 7 flat 9), long extended dominant chords
Essentially most dnb producers only know basic theory at best, and basic theory is cheese, just like basic sound design.

Chromatic chords (up/down one semitone at a time) chords that don't all belong to the same key, some kinds of added tone chords (I like m9 or 7 flat 9), long extended dominant chords
Essentially most dnb producers only know basic theory at best, and basic theory is cheese, just like basic sound design.
Also using lots of 2nds and 7ths notes, not only at the same octave, but an octave higher or below. Good for a nasty dissonance.

I have serious writers block. So have any of you experienced something and successfully managed to portray your feelings into a track? If so id love you to post up the track in here with a description of your experience and what you felt at the time. Lets see if it comes across to the rest of us.

I find in order to write my best music I have to be in a relaxed and happy mood. I can write quite emotionally charged music when little is on my mind. However when I have a lot on my mind it gets in the way of me completing a track, because it's almost like the track doesn't do justice to the emotions I am feeling. And strong emotions are distracting.

Having said that, I did once write a track straight after after having a dream that my dog was dying, which shook me up heaps as my ex girlfriend had taken my dog with her when we broke up. I never got a chance to say goodbye to my friend, and having a dream was like my subconscious saying hey you need to deal with this emotion. Straight after I woke up I started making music and basically just regurgitated a whole track around that theme. Like others have said using a quote or sound that you associate with a memory etc. is a good way to go, I used a recording of my dog barking in the track.

My condolences man, hope you're managing alright.

Sorry for your loss :/

I've written music while being emotionally distraught, but at least in my case it only works as therapy. The end result is usually quite shit, and not something I'd offer to the public. Like Niwun I need to be relaxed and not have too much on my mind. However, with distance I can think about how something made me feel, and use that for inspiration to write something that (for me, at least) incorporates those feelings.

Hey,

This is my first post in this forum so hello to you and all in here. I want to say with all sincerity that I'm so sorry for you. I totally get where you are coming from. When you are an artist there is always going to be a dichotomy between pain and inspiration. I once wrote and released an entire album birthed out of the pain of a divorce even the title was pain induced. Your instinct is so natural it will come to you and when it does it will be a flood. Don't put any pressure on yourself, when its time you won't be able to stop the inspiration. Art is emotion.

Back
Top Bottom