Trance - What are the key elements?

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Hey guys,

I got my hands on the Cakewalk Z3TA+ Synth (Free with Computer Music Mag at the moment for anyone thats after it) and started playing around with some of the presets, arpegiators in particular!

I ended up developing quite a good sounding, trance style track and was wondering, what is typical of the trance genre?

My track has become quite a progressive one. It weighs in at almost 9 minutes. Is length good in trance tracks?

Just wondered if anyone is experienced with the genre and could share some info.

I like the genre but my knowledge goes about as far as Robert Miles, Armin Van (Burren?) and thats almost it :lol:

Let's see, this is too easy. Key elements to good trance in recommended order:

1) Silence caused be equipment failure or WPOD
2) No breakdowns - as in "play full on Psy instead"
3) Play techno instead

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I got my hands on the Cakewalk Z3TA+ Synth (Free with Computer Music Mag at the moment for anyone thats after it) and started playing around with some of the presets, arpegiators in particular!

I ended up developing quite a good sounding, trance style track and was wondering, what is typical of the trance genre?

My track has become quite a progressive one. It weighs in at almost 9 minutes. Is length good in trance tracks?

Just wondered if anyone is experienced with the genre and could share some info.

I like the genre but my knowledge goes about as far as Robert Miles, Armin Van (Burren?) and thats almost it :lol:

Aye, I came from trance before I discovered other electronic genres. I wouldn't mind giving

Trance tracks typically range in length from about 6-9 minutes although you'll find the median is around 7/8 minutes. BPM is about 134-140, with around a minute and a half intro/build up. This is followed by a small snippets of melody for a several bars, then you should get to the breakdown which should are usually beatless, epic and most likely will use strings, a melody line that is stronger but still complimentary to what you had playing before the breakdown, which will last until the drum roll at the end that leads back into the energetic part of the song that should follow a similar theme as what was before the breakdown but with a bit of alteration (what happens after the breakdown is really up to you depending on what style you producing). The outro of your tune should be kind similar to your intro but with you're gonna be taking stuff out in the order it came in.

A few more tips: Most trance uses a rolling bassline and you will find when listening to trance that the kick/bass drum is going to have more bassweight then your bass does (it's still going to be bassy but sub basses aren't as worried about). Sidechaining can help you a ton to give you momentum in your track, imo claps are preferred to snares. Layer your synths too in order to create big rich synth textures. If you are making more of an typical epic style trance track, then you should know how to make a Supersaw (a tiny bit like a naked Reece patch, but not quite as detuned and with less modulations.)

You said you are making more of a progressive track so here is a few recommendations regarding Progressive Trance (all older tracks since I've been out of the loop for the past 2 years):

Markus Schulz - (One of the guys who supports/cains the progressive trance sound the most check some of his compilations tracklists for some good recommendations - Ibiza '06 highly recommended)
Andy Moor - YearZero (w/Orkidea), Halcyon, Daydream (w/Markus Schulz)
Progresia - The Shelter, Tears Behind Sunglasses
Ohmna
Benz & MD

Is that enough informations?! Let me know if you need anymore pointers or whatever bro!

Thats awesome man, thanks for all the info!

My track is going at 124bpm. I assume this is ok as changing a few things shouldn't matter too much?

I think I am going to work on some sort of new melody and the beatless breakdown :) Will also check out those Artists :)

I would hit the thanks button but it seems to have disappeared!

Thats awesome man, thanks for all the info!

My track is going at 124bpm. I assume this is ok as changing a few things shouldn't matter too much?

I think I am going to work on some sort of new melody and the beatless breakdown :) Will also check out those Artists :)

I would hit the thanks button but it seems to have disappeared!

Cheers man. There is a grey area between progressive house and progressive trance, it doesn't really matter what you are producing so long as it sounds good to you!

Progressive trance is generally slower though then Tech Trance or the Epic/Uplifting styles. The breakdown doesn't HAVE to be beatless so long as it sounds right, and has less energy & more emotional tension then the rest of your track, ex. sounds great IMO to strip your drums down in these parts to just a kick.

What I put above were just suggestions/general commonalities that you will find.

I may have to speed it up a bit, I can't decide! :P

Feeling that a beatless section could work with mine, will have a fiddle around and see what I can do :)

I have only been producing for maybe 6 months so I am still in that experimental stage where most of my tunes are just a weird blend of sounds but I am quite liking this one, will see what I can do with these tips. Cheers again!

If you speed it up, I don't suggest doing it by much!!!!!!! I find tracks usually don't sound the same/as good if they are done are adjusted ±4 BPM (and thats a stretch)!!!.

Agreed man, I tried it out once before, by about 6 bpm I think it was, and the results were nasty! :lol:

Maybe 125 or 6 may do it, or I may leave it! I really don't know... haha

Back
Top Bottom