Traktor Vinyl Control Users..

it will be the connections between the headshell pins and the pins in the socket on the end of the tonearm. DO NOT LICK THEM TO GET THEM TO WORK! As soon as one person does that, the corrosion builds up then it becomes a catch-22 (have to lick them to make them work, which in turn makes them worse so have to lick them...). Best thing to do is buy some iso from a pharmacy, and give the little pins a lick with iso on a cotton bud. cleans shit right off, and you will be away laughing

What do you mean by ISO!?

- - - Updated - - -

And i am glad i am not alone with this. Im sure if it wasnt the phono's then it would be intermittent drop outs with regards to tone arms/needles.

it is indeed a cunt. I think i will go with danwells advise on the multicore cables and failing that i shall turn my back on traktor and possibly djing as a whole! its annoying having never been paid and putting time/effort/ getting mates to come along to a gig for it to fuck up due to neglecting a service which is about 60 quid.

Surely Native Intsruments know about this by now. I mean if they work ok in a pioneer djm 500 or battered xone 42 then how can traktors connections be so fucking lame!!

Surely Native Intsruments know about this by now. I mean if they work ok in a pioneer djm 500 or battered xone 42 then how can traktors connections be so fucking lame!!

My guess is it the translation from analogue to digital that's feeling the pain? a 500 or 42 mixer is still analogue isn't it?

Its such a waste of money then! wish i just got CDJ's. I really like traktor at home it works brilliantly. but what is the point in it when the hardware is not good enough for its main purpose! unreliability is the worst thing you can have when dji'ing!

Its such a waste of money then! wish i just got CDJ's. I really like traktor at home it works brilliantly. but what is the point in it when the hardware is not good enough for its main purpose! unreliability is the worst thing you can have when dji'ing!

I think if you root it back at launch of these dvs systems we didn't have the dried up stock of technics. It's only since they've stopped producing them and closed their doors that it's become a major issue. Most clubs use rental companies for equipment so if the rental company don't have the option to buy loads of 1210's eventually you'll come unstuck.

People like hype / andy c / bukem et al should be experiencing the same problems ..... or are they playing in places with better engineers?

Tone don't buy them multicore cables ffs, just get some DECENT phono cables that have a good connection on them.

And just make yourself more versatile and start burning your MP3s to CDs and take them with you to gigs incase this happens again. Traktor can, and is used ALL the time in clubs so it's not impossible, more of a hassle yeh, but still achieveable at every gig one way or another.

I remember one gig i had to fucking use the internal play and change the pitch with the mouse hahaha! I was a mission but still played!

Last edited:
Tone don't buy them multicore cables ffs, just get some DECENT phono cables that have a good connection on them.

And just make yourself more versatile and start burning your MP3s to CDs and take them with you to gigs incase this happens again. Traktor can, and is used ALL the time in clubs so it's not impossible, more of a hassle yeh, but still achieveable at every gig one way or another.

I remember one gig i had to fucking use the internal play and change the pitch with the mouse hahaha! I was a mission but still played!

Had my home RCA's done mate. Works 100% at home.

Had my home RCA's done mate. Works 100% at home.

Yeh whats that got to with my post? I was talking about phonos out from the traktor box you bell-piece

- - - Updated - - -

actually ignore me, i think im getting confused with something else

Yeh whats that got to with my post? I was talking about phonos out from the traktor box you bell-piece

haha im with you, isnt it the otherway round though? so the phono's coming from the technics - if they are fooked then it makes no difference? or is it because the signal from the standard traktor phonos into the mixer cant carry the shit signal?

- - - Updated - - -

either way im taking CD's next time. cheers guys.

haha im with you, isnt it the otherway round though? so the phono's coming from the technics - if they are fooked then it makes no difference? or is it because the signal from the standard traktor phonos into the mixer cant carry the shit signal?

- - - Updated - - -

either way im taking CD's next time. cheers guys.

Sorry i sounded like a right knobend then..

Basically the timecode signal to the box needs to be pucker, i was thinking about CDJs where you can unplug the phonos thats why i got confused. With vinyl tho you're right, if the deck is knackered then you can use traktor with it, simple as.

You could always use Traktor with CDJs out, at that point id deffo invest in some proper decent cables if you play out enough. I bought some dirt cheap ones from RS cos i kept loosing them, they did work, but i'd have to bend the case of the phono a bit to get a decent connection.

I've never had these problems with Serato. Had the odd channel play backwards but that's solved by switching the RCA's around. White in to red, red in to white.

Ive been rolling with traktor to gigs for the past couple of years, come across all of these woes on my travels, heres my 2p :

re: dirty contacts,
Most smaller clubs will have old ratty hardware with crap connections, while the ISO alchohol is a good measure, its not exactly practical. Get yourself a fibreglass pen brush:
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fibreglass+pen&tbm=shop

whip it round the contacts and you'll be back up and running in less than 5 minutes.

re: multicore cables,
they are great, and make setting up way, way faster (especially if you label them!) but they are by no means a necessity and will not make your music sound any better or make any connections more reliable.

re: shitty phono's
most of us will have had this at some point, sometimes they can be fixed with a little fiddle, other times there is no saving them. The crucial point with this is to have a backup plan you can fallback on instantly. set up a button on your keyboard to set the decks to internal playback while you debug the problem, keep the crowd happy!
Ideally, get a controller.
I'm not talking about a Kontrol S4, just something small which augments the DVS system nicely. A kontrol X1 or novation dicers are compact and will fit into any booth with the minimum of fuss. They also keep you away from your laptop and will allow you to perform on ANY setup, no matter how fucked.
I've played at gigs before when other DJ's couldnt play because the decks were fucked and the CDJ's were stripped out of the booth for another room. It was all fucked until I setup and played with only a mixer and X1, someone with serato couldnt do that and traditional means were all shot! The black sheep saves the day, go figure.

to be fair, always expect the worse and carry at least one backup.

Ive been rolling with traktor to gigs for the past couple of years, come across all of these woes on my travels, heres my 2p :

re: dirty contacts,
Most smaller clubs will have old ratty hardware with crap connections, while the ISO alchohol is a good measure, its not exactly practical. Get yourself a fibreglass pen brush:
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fibreglass+pen&tbm=shop

whip it round the contacts and you'll be back up and running in less than 5 minutes.

re: multicore cables,
they are great, and make setting up way, way faster (especially if you label them!) but they are by no means a necessity and will not make your music sound any better or make any connections more reliable.

re: shitty phono's
most of us will have had this at some point, sometimes they can be fixed with a little fiddle, other times there is no saving them. The crucial point with this is to have a backup plan you can fallback on instantly. set up a button on your keyboard to set the decks to internal playback while you debug the problem, keep the crowd happy!
Ideally, get a controller.
I'm not talking about a Kontrol S4, just something small which augments the DVS system nicely. A kontrol X1 or novation dicers are compact and will fit into any booth with the minimum of fuss. They also keep you away from your laptop and will allow you to perform on ANY setup, no matter how fucked.
I've played at gigs before when other DJ's couldnt play because the decks were fucked and the CDJ's were stripped out of the booth for another room. It was all fucked until I setup and played with only a mixer and X1, someone with serato couldnt do that and traditional means were all shot! The black sheep saves the day, go figure.

to be fair, always expect the worse and carry at least one backup.

To add to your tips if using timecoded cd's what I used to do was reburn them but with a couple of mp3 tracks added to the end of the cd. Any DVS issues, switch to line, switch to track 4, press play. Used this a couple of times in emergencies.

To a certain extent the multicore cables do sort out dodgy phono cables as the female connector is a lot more reliable than in the traktor box

Guess backup CD's are the only hope. Got those multicore cables so will give them a go and be a bit more on the ball next time.

Back
Top Bottom