Traktor - Mixing externally or using a controller?

Commander

VIP Junglist
Hi guys,

Just something that i have always wondered. I own a Traktor S4 controller and an external Audio 4 soundcard which i use in conjunction with my Technics and Xone 62. Now I'm wondering even though the source is the Traktor software and soundcard does mixing using the Xone 62 externally make the sound better quality?

Cheers all

Hi mate,

Basically 2 separate setups. S4 connected to a laptop and Rokit 6 monitors using the internal recording option &
Audio 4 connected to the Xone 62 and using an external mp3 recorder & CD recorder.

I basically swap & change now & again. I tend to only use the s4 when wanting to utilise 4 deck mixing but most of the time use control vinyl using the Audio 4 & Xone 62

Last edited:
Should be very similar I'd have thought?

Signal straight from digital might be slightly better (S4) than using DVS with your Audio 4 as your output becomes analogue (I think)??

Yes, you're probably better staying completely digital as a little loss in quality will happen when you pass audio through the DAC in the Audio 4.

The difference in quality will be negligible anyway. You won't really be able to hear the difference.

personally Ive always preferred mixing externally with a mixer, I'm also under the impression that mixing through a conventional mixer will give better sound, especially under load.
When you clip a digial mixer, you hard clip and create speaker busting square waves. With an analogue mixer you clip much in the same way as you would with traditional records, to an extent. At least thats what I'm led to believe.

There are also differences in the way digital and analogue mixers combine the sound, but I have no idea what they are.

Lastly, traktors limiter sounds shit, turn it off.

personally Ive always preferred mixing externally with a mixer, I'm also under the impression that mixing through a conventional mixer will give better sound, especially under load.
When you clip a digial mixer, you hard clip and create speaker busting square waves. With an analogue mixer you clip much in the same way as you would with traditional records, to an extent. At least thats what I'm led to believe.

There are also differences in the way digital and analogue mixers combine the sound, but I have no idea what they are.

Lastly, traktors limiter sounds shit, turn it off.

Spot on mate, I heard that too. They are both great but i prefer the external mixer too as it allows the switch to vinyl at the touch of a button too. Thanks mate

Back
Top Bottom