Track producing techniques?

Areor

Hello ppl! ;)

Please give me some advise for making dnb in FL studio. How do u usually produce tracks? For example, make some intro synth, slowly increase volume for bassline, then play some sampled or self-built breakbeat... etc.

I don't need tutorials on how to work with FL studio, that's the easy part :), hard part is trying to make something original, balanced and interesting.

Just want to know other people techniques they are using when producing a song (in FL studio or any other DAW).

Hate to say this but you need to invest in some vst's.
Fruity's standard stuff is horrible to use an u may find yourself never gettin anywhere, unless u sample like a madman!
Most my tracks use a series of vst's main ones im usin at the min are massive for bass an fm8 for soundscapes/synths
You can still make a track using fruity's own, like the 3osc and sytrus for a synth but u will find it sounds very cheap an nothin like wat the rest of dnb sounds like.
Just go on the hunt look about an read some reviews i highly recommend massive as its quite a versitle program!

yeah when i used fruity i used tonnes of samples.
all the drums where sampled hits or breaks as FL's drums are wank.

Sytrus is alright but u have to bounce it if u have crap cpu.
i got fed up with FL so i bought a mac with logic.

I recommend purchasing massive and FM8 they are very good plugins.
ive heard good things about albino by rob papen aswell

mess around with drums and a bassline until you get a good loop going, maybe one, two or four bars of it. now copy and paste this many times so its the full length of the song. Next, start going back and removing elements, thinning out the track (like remove all the bassline and kickdrum for the intro, removing the percussion entirely for a break in the middle, etc), Once youve gotten a rough structure like this, start adding new stuff again. You might want to throw in some variations in the bassline or percussion, add small swishes leading into changes, a pad, or a vocal sample here and there, you know, all the bits and pieces that spice it up.

Thing is there is no ABC of how to produce drum and bass... and if there was then everyones music would be the same.

I agree with everyone else that you need some better external VST's.

If your new to it all the a good way to start is to sit down and listen to some tracks you love... but REALLY listen to them. Break them down in your head bit by bit and you will start to learn about structuring and layering.

But all that aside just get stuck in! Have fun with it and try and come up with your own sound.

also mate have a few days of just working on some pads and basses without workin on a tune because when you think about a tune that your working on it kinda narrows your mind.

I agree, it's not so easy to produce tracks when you haven't developed some basic personal style for your songs which people like.

I guess, afther that, when u have some nice synth's you love, really good self-made breakbeats and other things, it will be easier to develop songs with your own style and basics, which is in all your songs. You'll need only to rearrange that, inclode some new FX's and atmospheric sounds and things like that.

Also I like how Innovine advised to produce tracks, it helped to get some better ideas for making songs :)

And yes, I agree about those VST, there really are out there much better plugins, than built in ones. I'll try those from Native Instruments demo versions for now. :)

everyone seems to be hung up on this "must use massive or albino" theory, when in reality u can, with the knowledge, do the same on any synth and use separate fx vst's

go on then................show us??? lol
I mean ive been experimenting ages, and theres no way in hell u can make a good soundin synth in fruity, its all a bit cheap sounding. Theres no bandwagon jumpin here, massive an albino are 2 of the best vst's you can get for a reason! They do the job and give you shit loads of control. Now if we were talkin bout reason u may be right, but were not. Fruity's standard stuff is a pile of wank. Best thing it can do is make heavy sub bass on the 3osc.... thats bout it, u make me summin that sounds good, cause ive not yet managed so far, and i resample all the time, does not help unless the raw wave is hench! Which it can never be in fruity.
P.s i usually make bass in massive, or subcontractor/malstrom then resample into kontakt. Ive tried the same method using sytrus and the 3osc, doesnt come close!!

for some good vst's just buy a copy of computer music magazine, they give away loads of free plugins and software and great demos of software as well, and for six quid you can't go wrong, the magazine will tell you in detail how to get the best out of them as well

go on then................show us??? lol
I mean ive been experimenting ages, and theres no way in hell u can make a good soundin synth in fruity, its all a bit cheap sounding. Theres no bandwagon jumpin here, massive an albino are 2 of the best vst's you can get for a reason! They do the job and give you shit loads of control. Now if we were talkin bout reason u may be right, but were not. Fruity's standard stuff is a pile of wank. Best thing it can do is make heavy sub bass on the 3osc.... thats bout it, u make me summin that sounds good, cause ive not yet managed so far, and i resample all the time, does not help unless the raw wave is hench! Which it can never be in fruity.
P.s i usually make bass in massive, or subcontractor/malstrom then resample into kontakt. Ive tried the same method using sytrus and the 3osc, doesnt come close!!

Noisia will have.
excellent hardware synths
shitloads of outboard gear
musically training / knowledge
practiced and practiced.

but yer ure right it must be teh massives init!

read what logikz just put.

I mentioned nothin bout noisia, massive would probably be my last guess at wat they may or may not be using. whatever there using its definitely hardware thats beefin there sound up. Im merely sayin fruity's own stuff, is gona be noticeably shit. compared to a vst like massive etc.

yes of course its going through heaps of hardware and the emu in the end, but it all does, anyway
btw im nowhere near making noisia basses, but i did do some cool warpy bits that are pretty cool for techstep

in every noisia interview ive seen or read thay say they sample random sounds aswell and play around with them, its not always about synth work.

anyway im not arguing on anyone, im just saying if you really sat down and played, you can see the potential of all synths where synthesis is concerned.

the moral of the story is... learn by doing* and if there's something specific you wanna know, i garuntee there's a tutorial for it on youtube.

also... fruity love philter :cowbell:

Wasn't one of the Noisia basslines made by taping a sheet of paper to the speaker, and recording the buzzing with a mic?

Back
Top Bottom