TOV 50 - 50 & Counting EP - Trouble On Vinyl

Arrow Jay

Oh my God! Westbury and the TOV family have outdone themselves recently!

Clayton must be working miracles in that office for the tunes he's licensed, and the TOV 50 pack is no different.

Everyone I know is on about the Capone track, Hooligan. Nice cheeky reverse vocals as an intro, before the bassline kicks in, with a typical Dillinja kick behind it. This is NOT like the Valve tracks, but more of an update of the old Grooverider feel a couple of years ago. Bass heavy throughout, and with tight as fuck drum loops, Hooligan is an excellent track. The vocal timing is a pain to mix though in my eyes, but as an all round tune, this is awesome.

Side B houses Fully Loaded by Friction & Nu-Balance, long time stalwarts of the TOV label, and this does not disappoint. Nice tight drums throughout, typical of the recent releases by Friction at least. The bassline is nicelly fuelled at the breakdown with the vocals and FX creeping through, before a full on onslaught carries the track home. It doesn't really go anywhere after a few loops though, and could do with a little something extra to really drive it in, but as a set filler, or for DJ's who mix out of tracks early, this is a brilliant too.

The C side houses the best track on the pack IMO. Total Science step up with Bogarts. I've been heavily into the Total Science tracks recently, and this one caught my attention, but even I was surprised at the energy that flows throughout this track! The bassline is awesome, and over the typical TS drum patterns, works a treat! The strings add to the track, and this is one tune that cements their reputation in the top flight of producers. A tiny reminder in the tune of Matrix & Fierce for some reason, but don't let that disappoint :) This is a future anthem for the bass heavy generation.

A quick mention on the D side, Jupiter by DJ Red. Another outing from everyone's most colourful DJ, and one that rolls through from start to finish. Feeling like it could be equally at home on Liftin' Spirits or True Playaz, it signals TOV's attempt to put out a good variety of tunes.

Overall:

Hooligan: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Fully Loaded: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Bogarts: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :slayer:

Jupiter: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Had this for a couple of weeks and I love it. Not too keen on the dillinja track but the rest r stomping.

Never really been into Total science tracks but with Bogarts and Hot Spot tings r changing

i like hooligan most of them, it's nice simple track with great atmosphere..
only one thing pulled down my opinion about this tune - try to listen alien girl and then hooligan.. VERY VERY similar.. the bass & the beats are almost the same :/
i love hooligan though.. as well as alien girl :D

btw. my own chart of tov50 is following:
1) hooligan
2) fully loaded
3) jupiter
4) bogarts

Back
Top Bottom