Too much music?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Jun 9, 2006.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I was tidying up this morning. I've got so much music.

About 300 Cds in racks, and 5 shoeboxes full, plus a modest stack of vinyl, not to mention stuff stored digitally, (& DJ demo cds, and mates tracks, sets and mixes, almost a shoebox of their own).

I've got far more music than time to play it, and I just can't get rid of it.

I've been thinking about backing it up digitally, but I'd be even less likely to play it, without having sleeves lying around to remind me what I've got, and it'd just be days wasted transferring it, so what's the point?

There's stuff I've not played in years, and freebies off mags that I keep for 1 or 2 tracks, I've even got freebies that I've not listened to, but hang onto for the odd Roots Manuva track or summat, even if I've not listened to it.

I don't know if it's sad or to be applauded?:confused:

2. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

nah applauded, its like looking in a photo album...memories. stuff you can show your kids etc. keep it all!:who_wants

3. soundgirl

soundgirl Queen of the Stupids

that's a nice way to look at it.

i don't see how having all that music can be a bad thing, unless your house is a shithole because of it (i.e. records clogging up every orifice of the room), in which case, shift what you never listen to and won't miss.

4. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Got most of my stuff backed up digitally after getting vinyl and cds nicked like fuck.

Still have a few things hanging around that haven't been archived like some single cds but I've got a massive & legal digital collection... CDs I keep in dj cases without the boxes.

Plays in the background.

5. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I buy CD's, rip them once and never use them again ha!

My vinyl collection is my main annoyance, takes up soooo much room :-/

6. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

About 7000 pieces of vinyl of all different genres, back home in England. Here I have around 1000 CD's and about 70Gb of mp3's stored on my laptop and various external hard drives. Convert to computer files, so much easier. Now I just take my laptop to the club and use Traktor (y)

EDIT: There's no such thing as too much music. As long as you develop and your tastes change, there will always be music you want and music that you don't want.

7. mesh

mesh Active Member

keep it all !!!! okay maybe gather all the crap compiles with only one good tune and burn all the decent ones to a few CDs, but hold the demos and the things you dont listen to, just keep it stored somewhere dry and safe I guess. depends how much of a hoarder you are, but I think you're more likely to regret getting rid of it than keeping it.

8. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Just checked my files, got 100 gbs of ripped music (legal as well!), 14,000 songs... Christ.

9. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I'm not gonna get rid of any.

It's not too much music, it's too little time.

I wish I had the time to sit down and listen to stuff and dig stuff out more.

Bought an MP3 player yesterday, my 1st one, and sorting what to put on it should get some classics dug out and listened to...

:rslayer:

Music's ace!

10. The_Jungledon

The_Jungledon www.FreelanceJunglist.com

im the same over 300 cds and shoeboxes of tape packs and stuff that i just will NOT get rid off even if the sound quality on some tapes is pants(Lost so many to my BORROWING mates too.
    Got myself a 60gb ipod/video in feb and it was full in minutes3 Hard drives just will not fit onto this piddly bleeding ipod LITTLE thing lol