Too many Double Drops?

DJDarkside

Prepare For Darker Days
is it possible to do too many double drops?

my freind does this over and over again, almost 3-4 times in a 45 min mix.

i think it takes away from the energy.....

what do you guys think?

Personaly i think theres too much emphasis put on double drops. They can sound great when done properly & the 2 tunes work well together & are in key.
Alot of young DJs seem to miss the point & aim to DD every possible mix even though 1/2 of them sound crap.
You gotta blame Andy C, Friction & Mampi cos every young aspiring DJ is trying to emulate that style. Not many are successful though.
Its all about individuality & having your own style.
If you're playing good tunes with variety then you shouldnt need to DD every mix. IMO

If well executed I personally think that double dropping is brilliant!!!

I try my best to develop my own style, I keep my mixes tight and in key.

As long as the set has shape to it, and is going somewhere, keeps people interested and does not get repetative I cannot see why there would be a problem with too much double dropping.

I also think if I was producing a track and I was going to change the tunes melody the best place to do this would be at the drop or say after the tune had been rolling for 16 bars, so I try to stick to this as I think that it is the most fluid, and seemless way to mix.

But of course there is alot to do with knowing your tracks there is lots of tracks which sound better being mix another way say switching the basses after 8 bars from the drop etc.

To be honest I do not care how it is mix, although I prefer quick mixing though and for the track generaly to be introduced during the break, even if it is not being double dropping.

To be honest this is a bit of a baity thread as you gonna get haters and people with strong opinions either side no matter what.

As long as it sounds good is fine by me!

Last edited:
I enjoy double droppin!, i wud never spin two tunes that sounded shite together and i think if u do a few in a mix, it gives a nice kick to it.

too much of a good thing does not exist, when speaking of bass (that is). as long as it is mixed on time (where the subs don't flutter) most any tunes can be dropped together, but it helps to find ones that, fit perfectly per say?

some of the best sets (ever) i've heard, just in the past few days, were every mix double dropped, i think it was some older ANDY C set ;)

that jump-up groove really gets me.

i treble dropped once, i'm glad i wasn't DJing that night.:sick:

no point fuckin' about sirus

personally i think that friction dj does too many, any dj can double drop every mix, espescially when you rewind most of your fucking tunes anyway. if there weren't so many rewinds in the top dj's sets they wouldn't do half the doubles they do, i think it shows a lack of imagination really, it's far harder to keep tracks rolling and judge the crowd that way than rewind and bring any god damn tune you like. i'm all about the mix and blend and i agree with coshh that bringing tunes in during break downs builds a crowd up. you don't have to double drop to pull out a tasty mix with two basslines working well together

The only time a double drop sounds good is when the two track are in key, phrases lined up, and the EQing is good so the frequencies and the basslines don't mash up. Such things are few and far between.
So leave it alone unless you know its a sure thing, don't do it for the sake of it.

personally i think that friction dj does too many, any dj can double drop every mix, espescially when you rewind most of your fucking tunes anyway. if there weren't so many rewinds in the top dj's sets they wouldn't do half the doubles they do, i think it shows a lack of imagination really, it's far harder to keep tracks rolling and judge the crowd that way than rewind and bring any god damn tune you like. i'm all about the mix and blend and i agree with coshh that bringing tunes in during break downs builds a crowd up. you don't have to double drop to pull out a tasty mix with two basslines working well together

Absolutely spot on, fuck rewinds...i hated it when that became a feature, i remember the days before rewinds... when the dj played more than 8 tracks an hour, ah the good ol'days.

NO MORE REWINDS!

Sets sound so much better when the mixing is varied. Not that double-droppin is bad but if its a whole set of the same mix it ain't gonna keep my attention.

The only time a double drop sounds good is when the two track are in key, phrases lined up, and the EQing is good so the frequencies and the basslines don't mash up. Such things are few and far between.
So leave it alone unless you know its a sure thing, don't do it for the sake of it.

:applause: spot on mate

all about keeping the energy levels up when mixing aswell. sounds stupid but this is difficult to do when doing doubles all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom