Tone arm weighting

B.unique

I've been told that my tone arm should float parallel with the top plate of my turntables and to do this the counterweight has to be screwed in as far as it will go but in doing this the stylus just skates around on the top of the record ( i have adjusted the anti skate)...anyway. i've tacked coins to the headshell which helps alot and gives me a full strong sound with no skating around but i'm concerned about how this will affect my styli and vinyl, will too much pressure damage them? all input would be really appreciated.

cheers for the vid, i have followed everything videos have told me but the needle still skates around and jumps off the record, i can't weigh it down anymore without weights on the headshell because the counterweoght on the back is screwed full in and set at the maximum weight. has anyone else ever experienced this?

Sounds like duff old needles to me but overweighting can cause this. You must follow the manufacuters recommend weights or you will decrease the life your needles - FACT

if i'm honest, i don't know what needles/ carts they are as i bought the turntables second hand and they came with them, i've had a good look at them and i cant find any name brands/ information on them, tbh i think they're just really bog standard styli/carts that do the job...just :P. i'll probably buy some decent styli soon, anyone have any suggestions for decent styli that won't cost me a fortune ? cheers

Have you got technics? If so there might be an extra weight screwed on, right at the end of the tone-arms (behind where the counterweight sits). This needs to be removed. Might be hard to spot at first as it looks like part of the arm

rightttt, thats really interesting, i didnt have a clue haha, yeah i have 1200 mk2's, i'll check this out as it does seem as if the counter weight is too heavy, i'll report back if i struggle to find it :P, cheers

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Thanks alot Olllie, unscrewed the cyclindrical weight at the back, solved the problem perfectly :)

The styli and carts i have are numark groove tool, these are obviously low quality, what replacement styli can i get to fit these cartridges?

Only Groove Tool stylii will fit those carts. If you want to upgrade you'll have to replace the whole cart. I recommend Shure M35Xs. Don't bother with M44-7s (someone's bound to mention them), they sound pony.

Gonna slightly highjack this thread cause I dont wanna start another for the same subject.

I've balanced and weighted my tonearms perfectly to the standard method ive seen on videos, i've recently replaced the styli on my 500ALs so that shouldnt be the problem, but I have problems when i'm playing harder records, particularly jump up, the needle likes to skip alot.

I tried to stop the needle skipping by adding weight, which helped with some records, but even on max weight with the counter balance reversed tunes like freeze by tantrum keep skipping.

Any solutions guys?

P.S: Setup = Technics + Stanton 500AL, second hand, so theyre a bit messed, one of the decks is impossible to get the arm low enough without reversed weight

Back
Top Bottom