Tomorrow

Things I would of accepted as big news,

A big name retiring

That Drum & Bass movie we've all been waiting for

No more drum & bass awards

Goldie & Andy C kiss and hold hands in a London night club

Damn that is pretty disappointing. I mean, I'll follow the playlist, is that what they want?

I was expecting something more like a collaboration album featuring the main dudes from across the scene collaborating across 12 or so tracks. Or a new scene-led dnb hub website. Or some kind of charity thing.

Damn that is pretty disappointing. I mean, I'll follow the playlist, is that what they want?

I was expecting something more like a collaboration album featuring the main dudes from across the scene collaborating across 12 or so tracks. Or a new scene-led dnb hub website. Or some kind of charity thing.

The thing is, the movement is not limited to the Spotify platform...
Streaming is an extremely fast gaining market share for d&b. Digital is going down - so rather than a few will profit from it with millions of streams pushed by some major players/curators they get together to support one another from big to small.
You can't halt technology changes - see vinyl > cd > digital > streaming. If the vast majority want to use a streaming service because they are anyway always online and it's easy to use, they will sooner or later move there. Plus new emerging markets like young people who mainly use streaming services will not suddenly start buying the music on beatport/juno and miss out on d&b as a whole? or eventually never hear it?

I'm yet to be proven that it's really for all labels... have contacted them on facebook.. it's early days, let's see!

Sure the announcement is a disappointment for people who were expecting something big, but for the scene as a whole this is good.

It gives a easy to access platform for new commers to the scene without having to overwhelm themselves with all the labels, youtube, forums, beatport etc. In this day and age accessability is key in making a succesful product and spotify is the ultimate tool for that these days. And espicially putting it all together in one place, governed by the guys actually making all the music is perfect.

The thing is, the movement is not limited to the Spotify platform...
Streaming is an extremely fast gaining market share for d&b. Digital is going down - so rather than a few will profit from it with millions of streams pushed by some major players/curators they get together to support one another from big to small.
You can't halt technology changes - see vinyl > cd > digital > streaming. If the vast majority want to use a streaming service because they are anyway always online and it's easy to use, they will sooner or later move there. Plus new emerging markets like young people who mainly use streaming services will not suddenly start buying the music on beatport/juno and miss out on d&b as a whole? or eventually never hear it?

I'm yet to be proven that it's really for all labels... have contacted them on facebook.. it's early days, let's see!
I get your point, but as someone who occasionally goes where streaming is unavailable and is even still bitter about certain labels abandoning CDs....urrrrrrrrgh...

Streaming is great but we are always going to want the hard copy. I cant see where the money is in streaming but it must be there and isn't Spotify just another version of Youtube?

Streaming is great but we are always going to want the hard copy. I cant see where the money is in streaming but it must be there and isn't Spotify just another version of Youtube?

The money isn't in streaming or music sales.
The money is in live shows.
How do you get people to your shows? By getting them to listen to your music.
How do you get them to listen to your music? By streaming.

And espicially if you want new people to come in, you need a easy platform (spotify) for them to get into. This playlist might be the single biggest boost to the genre for a long time

I get your point, but as someone who occasionally goes where streaming is unavailable and is even still bitter about certain labels abandoning CDs....urrrrrrrrgh...

Streaming is great but we are always going to want the hard copy.

This doesn't mean that physical products will be abandoned. On the contrary, it could well be that there will be a iluvdrumandbass compilation with vinyl/cds? I believe that there will always be physical market, at least in the next 10 maybe 20 years. It will probably depend on technology but you'll have to see that the market is small and streaming services serve millions of people.

I cant see where the money is in streaming but it must be there and isn't Spotify just another version of Youtube?

Spotify ain't here to save us.. I've always been calculating with 0.0064 per steam but apparently it's less now. In average 0.0046 according to this article https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/05/16/spotify-audiam-low-rates/ Either way, give you an example: https://open.spotify.com/artist/4yIhFnIMOrX9UXYDrJ5ocQ Ewol new guy to the scene, his track was featured in some top tier playlist with a couple ten thousands of subscribers. His track 'Hesitate' has 50k streams that equals 230$ for the label - over time this will grow as well. Bungle's - Cocooned probably the best selling d&b track on Beatport in the last 12 months (https://www.beatstats.com/tracks/list/list-YEAR-genre1) has 20k streams without featuring's in playlist, that only equals 92$. My point is if your track lands on a big playlist you can make some income, whoever you are.
Take Prototypes - Pop It Off which has 612k streams that equals almost 3000$ for just one song... and it's not their most successful one. They currently have 134k monthly streams, that equals 600$ each month in profit. It's not going to make living but take it or leave it really? Youtube on the other hand is at 0.0006 per stream. 100k = 60$ and compared to youtube, spotify is just for music.
I guess you'd need to look into the income of streaming services as a whole... you have soundcloud that have just started paying out royalties, I saw that VK will be monetized and there's an influx of new services and markets like Asia but currently Spotify is the biggest player for d&b.

This will only ever apply to the top 200 most successful artists. There are plenty of mid size artists that struggle to have a regular span of gigs. There are young new guys coming in as well every year. There are more artists now then there are shows to play so this won't work for the vast majority of artists.

And espicially if you want new people to come in, you need a easy platform (spotify) for them to get into.

Yes - you can't lose on a new generation of music listeners, that could potentially lead to dry out the genre in x years to come.

This playlist might be the single biggest boost to the genre for a long time

I'll hold my breath for that but I'd like to believe that this is an initiative for the many not the few... let's see.

Good insight @demandrecords, i agree with most of what you've said.
Interesting stats on the spotify plays - it will be interesting to see if there is a big shift towards this method of consuming music over the next 10 years
The playlist has already got 10,000 followers in a day so any artists who do get picked within the playlist should theoretically start seeing some $

Good insight @demandrecords, i agree with most of what you've said.
Interesting stats on the spotify plays - it will be interesting to see if there is a big shift towards this method of consuming music over the next 10 years
The playlist has already got 10,000 followers in a day so any artists who do get picked within the playlist should theoretically start seeing some $
Luckly this is also the case for some smaller artists and not only the big boys :D

My only beef is the name.
Seems like bait for noobs. Like those cheesy t shirts form china. Ain't nobody wearing that ish.
But hey... whatever helps gets the clicks.

How do you get people to your shows? By getting them to listen to your music.
How do you get them to listen to your music? By streaming.

And espicially if you want new people to come in, you need a easy platform (spotify) for them to get into. This playlist might be the single biggest boost to the genre for a long time

Very well put,

Im still left wondering what the difference is between this new Spotify playlist and Youtubes UKF.

It's sad to think that artists don't get paid if they release some tracks and don't do events. That's all wrong.

Oh god just think in ten years time it's all going to be for these pop princesses, vocal everywhere :lol:

Put this playlist on in the car yesterday on my way home from work. First three songs were the most cancerous jump up I've ever witnessed, and the next few were all pretty bad 'neuro' trash. Finally got a good tune in Calibre and DRS' latest bit but I turned it off not long after. Won't listen again to be honest.

I think the idea is flawed in that pretty much nobody is going to be into every single form of drum & bass and the playlist is far too varied. I think this wasn't worth the effort and will fall off pretty quickly. Perhaps if they'd made several sub-genre specific playlists under the same banner, it might have worked out better in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom