To Touch or Not To Touch?

i never touch the platter, only use the pitch,

im so heavy handed i wud never get away with touching the plate, so i have 2 keep my hand on the pitch

also, ure deck may hav more torque than others, so when u get on sum1's else decks, u will touch the platter but because the torque is quite low compared 2 what ure used 2, it may slow down the tune more than u want and make the mix go out and clang

and that can get u in trouble

but every1s different, this is just my opinion

Do what works for you, but I wouldn't reccomend touching the platter once you've started to move the cross fader coz you get nasty pitch bends in the mix and it sounds unprofessional!

NO SCRATCH THAT, IT SOUNDS SHIT....

whether you move the pitch, or the platter, you are doing the exact same thing in terms of the sound people will hear anyway.

i find touching the platter really helps me.. iv just started and i can instantly see what speed i need the tune at if i touch the platter.. then i adjust the pith accordingly. i think this is the way i will adapt as its the only way my mixing sounds alright!!

Ive heard ppl on here saying that you shouldnt touch the vinyl/platter when mixing (when the track is live) to speed it up or slow it down but should pitch ride instead.

I tend to flick the record to go quicker or touch the platter to slow it down and then adjust pitch accordingly.

Is this majorly worng or just individual preference?

in light of the whole mistabishi sham, i think most people would agree that you can touch as much or as little as you like, as long as you're actually DJing...

:rave:

i use the spindle of both decks. I squeeze both spindles at the same time to either speed it up or slow it down. I don't like riding the pitch, moving it a fraction backwards and forwards to flow the mix is annoying.

Last edited:
I touch the platter very gently, can never hear it tbh, can hear the speed increase more when u ride the pitch if u can touch it lightly enough imo. The reas i do this is because my techniques were modded and they are rediculously sensitive on the pitches for more accurate locking, if i rode the pitch i'd never get it back to the exact same point. i just touch and everytime i touch i know the slider must be moved a certain amount, you can't hear it if you're just listening either

To be honest, you could rig up a series of elastic bands to some battery hens on a treadmill to turn the platter, and only touch it with your left foot while balancing spoons on your nose, if the mix sounds good then it doesnt matter how its achieved.

Back
Top Bottom