To side-chain or not to side-chain that is the question

Morah

Hey,

Specifically in Drum & Bass what are everyone's opinions on Side-chaining? or how do you deal with mixing the low end of your tracks.

personally i have used a few different way when dealing wit Sub's and kicks these are the technique ive used in the past:

1. The one that i have been using lately is Choosing the right kick so in on that sits on top of the sub nicely without taking up to much room in the frequency's. and using a small amount of EQ to make a little room among the Harmonics.
the problem with this is that sometimes the sub still clashed if it has a higher note.

2. Actually using side-chaining (how do other people using this? do you use your kick as the trigger or do you use a Snappy sound so you have greater control over the release time of the compressor)
The problem i fins with this is that you loose to much sub if your not careful

3. Using side-chaining but in a maltiband setting, so only compressing the Sub around the kicks fundamental frequency's

3. The 3rd Which time consuming one, to render the sub to audio and cut by hand a space for the kick to sit.

opinions please.
Which ones do you use? do you do something different?

Ben

When it comes to kick and sub I usually just try to eq them around each other. Sometimes I'll use waves trackspacer on the sub if the EQ isn't enough. I think sidechaining can be used on higher end stuff like pads and cymbals to create movement as long as its used in a subtle fashion. Overall, its way overused. Just look at any production forum thread and no matter what the question is about someone will throw out sidechaining as a solution even if its clearly not lol.

Last edited:
When it comes to kick and sub I usually just try to eq them around each other. Sometimes I'll use waves trackspacer on the sub if the EQ isn't enough. I think sidechaining can be used on higher end stuff like pads and cymbals to create movement as long as its used in a subtle fashion. Overall, its way overused. Just look at any production forum thread and no matter what the question is about someone will through out sidechaining as a solution even if its clearly not lol.

This^^^ I mainly only use use it on my HP breaks, shakers, tambs etc. at this point in my journey. Subtle subtractive eq instead now

When it comes to kick and sub I usually just try to eq them around each other. Sometimes I'll use waves trackspacer on the sub if the EQ isn't enough. I think sidechaining can be used on higher end stuff like pads and cymbals to create movement as long as its used in a subtle fashion. Overall, its way overused. Just look at any production forum thread and no matter what the question is about someone will throw out sidechaining as a solution even if its clearly not lol.

totally agree, the problem come when you have higher notes in your subline which then clash with your kick.
I have definitely offered sidechaining as an improvement in the past to new producers because its a fairly easy fix but as I've recently realised its not the right way of doing it

Back
Top Bottom