to blurried, don't sound right what to do?

Wafi

hey guys this is my first post in this forum. I really like the people and I would like to learn something. I'm still fairly new to the dnb genre and I'm still learning.

I wanted to share something with you guys because it didn't sound right
http://www.2shared.com/audio/Yla6rTM...d_potions.html

as you can hear the track might have a little bit of potential in it but the mixing literally sucks ass...I tried everything but I can't get the right sound or I can't really understand what's wrong with it.

first off how loud should a track like this should be? also if you hear nobody to love by sigma and the likes you will hear that they are all maxed out and yet they sound smooth as hell...how do they do that?

I come from a hip hop and rap background... to me learning dnb is reallhy a dream and it will take time... I hope I can do it too hehhe

First off, it's much easier if you use soundcloud or something when you want to share tracks, or want people to give a little advice. That way we don't have to download it.

The questions you ask are ones that are asked quite often.. There is a very recent tread about loudness even. Take a look around.

Anyways, that track is not bad! I've definitely heard worse.
When you feel it's a bit blurred, try the really 'clean' up every single element in the song. Cut frequencies you don't want from the instument/vst/whatever. Cut everything but the frequencies you want.
For examples: hats, cut them 1k hertz. snares, cut the after the point they hit (200hz or something, just giving the rough idea, don't follow these numbers)
That might help alot.
Also what helps, are minor tweaks, some reverbs on crashes, synths, snares, delays here and there...

Mixdown wise, that's a proces that you only get better at with more experience of producing. Listen to other tracks, to how loud the bass is, the highs, stuff like that...
In this track, I would advice to turn down the bass a bit. Maybe the voice a bit louder.

And loudness, as loud as you can, without losing to much of the dynamics, or overcompressing stuff.

First off, it's much easier if you use soundcloud or something when you want to share tracks, or want people to give a little advice. That way we don't have to download it.

The questions you ask are ones that are asked quite often.. There is a very recent tread about loudness even. Take a look around.

Anyways, that track is not bad! I've definitely heard worse.
When you feel it's a bit blurred, try the really 'clean' up every single element in the song. Cut frequencies you don't want from the instument/vst/whatever. Cut everything but the frequencies you want.
For examples: hats, cut them 1k hertz. snares, cut the after the point they hit (200hz or something, just giving the rough idea, don't follow these numbers)
That might help alot.
Also what helps, are minor tweaks, some reverbs on crashes, synths, snares, delays here and there...

Mixdown wise, that's a proces that you only get better at with more experience of producing. Listen to other tracks, to how loud the bass is, the highs, stuff like that...
In this track, I would advice to turn down the bass a bit. Maybe the voice a bit louder.

And loudness, as loud as you can, without losing to much of the dynamics, or overcompressing stuff.
thanks a lot!! and yeah I've looked around and I've taken a good read. however the loudness of tracks vary a lot depending on the artists...and to get super squashed tracks like sigma does or some pendulum tracks and so on..well you definitely need to clean the mix...

on the other hand I found the problem on this mix..it was mostly the drums the break I used... so I started from scratched and started making a new one... but yeah my biggest problem is the bass...I can't get a good sounding bass... T_T anyway thanks a lot for the help =)

Well yea, loudness varies a bit, but mostly it's with a -1/0 db peak. So when when all elements are in the track (drums, bass, synths...), that good be a reference. But, this is after mixing/mastering. So when making the track, don't think to much about "oh, is this loud enough?". Worries for when the tune is finished.

What I do quite alot recently (maybe because I almost always use samples for my basses lately) is eq-split my bass. But only in a sub part, and a channel strip with all the other frequencies.
I compress the sub part so it doenst move around to much, and have fun the the other channel strip. Much easier to mix down after, because a subbass can eat up alot of space

Well yea, loudness varies a bit, but mostly it's with a -1/0 db peak. So when when all elements are in the track (drums, bass, synths...), that good be a reference. But, this is after mixing/mastering. So when making the track, don't think to much about "oh, is this loud enough?". Worries for when the tune is finished.

What I do quite alot recently (maybe because I almost always use samples for my basses lately) is eq-split my bass. But only in a sub part, and a channel strip with all the other frequencies.
I compress the sub part so it doenst move around to much, and have fun the the other channel strip. Much easier to mix down after, because a subbass can eat up alot of space
never had to use anything like that before...hip hop is way more easier ahahah...can you elaborate please? I'll see what I can google up...it's always the bass that eats up my mixes and leaves no room for sparkle or clarity :'(

wait I found out what you mean and I think I got it..but I have to apply it and master this technique...I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Yea that does sound better. Everything sounds cleaner and like it has its own space.
But, this bass doenst work. The other one in the first track you posted here was much better. This one needs more body, more sub

Back
Top Bottom