Tips..?

visionobscure

Just got some decks and learning to mix.. i have almost pulled all my hair out but i am still loving it.. are there any vital tips outs there to help me in my mixing..?

Just got some decks and learning to mix.. i have almost pulled all my hair out but i am still loving it.. are there any vital tips outs there to help me in my mixing..?
Just found this video tutorial on YouTube, I know it's not D&B but the fundamentals are the same.

[youtube]Ff65ZTCCry8[/youtube]

Good luck! :)

eat lots of chicken, drink red stripe, always open doors for girls make sure you wash and have clean shoes....

as for mixing tips just beatmatch, feel the vibe and practice many many hours .... if you play it will come brother ;)

I went to a friend's flat-warming party yesterday.

Stone-cold sober surrounded by awful furniture and cheap freaks on speed, I couldn't beatmatch house...

Then again a week ago I got smashed at a small club full with drunk 30 year olds and mixed dnb with breaks, house and old skool hiphop for five hours. The beatmatching may have been a bit wonky but the club had its best ($$$) night ever.

now for some real advice :P, each song has a certain structure for examples 4 beats in a bar 8 bars in a something (not sure what they call it. this is just an example, not all songs follow this but alot do ) usually a song will change after these 8 bars for example it will drop in a breakdown or just drop into the main tune again. now i personally think that this change after 8 bars is the best place to bring in the second tune cos if the structure matches up you've got a fat double drop coming. and If the structure doesnt match well that doesnt matter you can fiddle with the pitch until the beats match and you can just fade it out. I love double dropping though hearing two songs building together and dropping at exactly the same time, when you pull one of them off it's an amazing feeling.

Last edited:
I see :O i didn't realise that, whats a phrase then? i know it has something to do with music

A measure is a number of bars, any number of bars.

However, a phrase is a number of bars relating to a piece of music specifically, the music signals how many bars long a phrase is.
For example, from the drop to the breakdown of a track is a phrase, and there are smaller phrases within that. Phrases don't always follow the usual pattern of 16, 32, 64, 128 bars. In D Kay - Black Magic, the first phrase after the bass kicks in is 48 bars long.
Phrases are what are used when DJ's mix two records together. If a track has 48 bars for its intro before the drop, you don't cue it from the first beat of a 64 bar phrase on another record, as it will drop too early. You need to count 16 bars into the phrase before you cue the next record, so they will both drop at the same time. Sorry for my long winded explanation (y)

Last edited:
Listen to a track enough and you'll remember exactly where the phrases, drops, etc occur - instinctively, in exactly the same way that on the dance floor you know where the track is going to change. Even if you haven't heard a track before, then you have a good chance of guessing what will happen where.

Back
Top Bottom