Tips on making minimal Drum and Bass.

Discussion in 'Production' started by Delinquent, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

In the same sort of style as Bop or something similar to Aphex Twin.
    Glitchy stuff.

Does anyone have any advice or samples to help me? I use Ableton 7.

2. kama

kama benkama.net

I really suck at making stuff like that, but I've been told it's about making your sounds as interesting as possible. In Bop's & AT's case, it's also about making your melodies interesting, and in this music theory is your best friend.

One obvious thing is that you can make the lack of something work in your favour, instead of filling all the gaps in the sound spectrum at once.

Don't over-layer drums, sometimes less is more. Simpler hits mean more clarity and punch.

Use sidechaining to make things appear more powerful than they actually are.

3. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

Thanks a lot for this. Very helpful. :)

I'm not sure about my classifaction of AT as drum and bass though, I just used him as an example.

What's sidechaining, I'm pretty new to music production.

4. MrWoggles

MrWoggles Member

You're going to need to be far more specific than that. Might as well be asking us to make the song for you.

5. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

More specific how?

6. kama

kama benkama.net

I think minimal in Bop's style is as specific as you can get.

Look up sidechaining in google. It's basically that effect when you feel a kick or some other hit is so loud it turns everything else (or a single element) down when it lands. A sound sort of 'ducks' away from the kick. Like in Commix - Bear Music.

7. T Leaf

T Leaf Neighbourhood Sickhead

to not to get a style similar to aphex twin! he will kill you :)
    j/k

try to do a lot of retriggering (retriggering is where you have the sample cut/play afterwards. i used to do this a lot with my drums, and the effect is awesome, i'd retrigger the samples as i pitch up n down. i also managed to get a vox from some drums by granualizing the sample.

This style is not easy and you have to dedicate yourself to learning unorthodox techniques.

i'll post examples of my glitchy tech style later

good luck

8. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

It's not easy, you're right. the samples I'm playing don't particularly seem to fit with the beat.

I'll record just the drums now and upload them. I'd appreciate some feedback about them.

Bear in mind this is the 2nd day I've had Ableton and I've had no previous experience with production (It probably shows? :D) but I have a definite idea of what I want to do.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wz2twlhyzql

^ The loop, looped a few times.

9. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

Aphex twin probably also used a lot of 32nd and 64th notes and each were placed and time in a specific location. Trying to build a song with such fine resolution is indeed hard, which is why I love Aphex Twin.

10. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

How do you slice beats down that small?

11. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

That's easy mate.

Do you use Reason?

Just pull down the menu for the note size you want, it goes all the way down to 64ths. You could even hit 128ths if you turn off your magnet (snap). But thats overkill.

64th notes are so tempting to use sometimes just because you can make some really STRANGE sounds. Use at your own risk!

12. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

No, I use Ableton Live 7, actually. Is quantize the tool I want, on Ableton? It doesn't seem to do anything to things like kick drums, it has no effect at all.

13. Dj Dirty Pimp

Dj Dirty Pimp Active Member

14. Devianity

Devianity New Member

Less is more.

"If less is more imagine how much more more would be!" :D

15. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

It is damn difficult making multiple songs that don't sound too samey, or alike. :(

I never thought minimal would be such a hard thing to do.

16. T Leaf

T Leaf Neighbourhood Sickhead

minimal is the HARDEST thing to do. you need to use very little to achieve very big sound concepts :)

17. Stream

Stream New Member

18. luzil

luzil Member

what does minimalistic mean? less tracks, instruments, layering or what? its kinda misleading term like "intelligent dnb". From all attributes i can choose minimalistic is the last to describe aphex twin. Thought his style is described as "breakcore" oder "drill and bass"

I would describe "seven nations army" from white stripes as a minimalistic tune, 3-4 instruments but some killer riffs and of course the sound of a e-guitar which makes this song just :not_worth.

19. Delinquent

Delinquent Member

Interesting look on it, but it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe ambient would be a better term to describe what I'm looking for, then? :)

20. luzil

luzil Member

but we are still speaking about DnB? ;) Ambient has per definition no drum and percussion, mostly spherical pads, leads, fx noises. I think u have to put much more variation in the arrangement structure and melody complexity then in an typical DnB tune to keep the ears busy. Just hear "selected ambient works" of afx. Referring to afx is not the best way to tell us what ur looking for cause he made tunes in many styles. LTJ Bukem and GLR do a style called atmospheric/intelligent/ambient DnB. Are u looking for this kind of DnB? I like this style very much and it brought me into to produce myself. Im remixing/rebuilding some of these songs currently and this can hardly be done with samples. U have to get familiar with synth programming to generate these spherical non static sounding pads, leads and noises (fm synthesis works well for this purposes)