Tips For Using Allen & Heath Filters

DJ Spliff

Never Enuff Vinyl
VIP Junglist
I've searched and found a thread about this already but I am completley new to them and could really use some detailed help with them. I have a Xone 42 on the way and I've been trying to read up on it as much as possible. I know nothing of resonance or ideal ranges to sweep the frequencies. I have even read that you can blow out subs but sweeping too low with the low pass? Now I know I can't use multiple filters on one channel with this mixer but I can use multiple filters on seperate channels right? Any help will be much appreaciatied.

get a checkered shirt and a trucker cap, then perfect you finger point when two tunes are double dropping - and the rest should come naturally.

You mean my rude bwoy gun finger? I got that shit perfected already:D
At least you didn't tell me: Swooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhwa

I already knew that part.

Last edited:
With the 42 you've only got the one filter, so you can assign it to multiple channels, but it will do the same to each as you only have the one set of controls.

Resonance controls how much of what your processing gets routed back through the filter, so setting the resonance high will give the textbook "swooshing" sound as it exagerates the frequencies you sweep through. If your using a low or band pass, and you set the resonance really high then filter down to the low end (say around 60hz) then yea It would be perfectly possible to blow speakers that couldnt handle it, this would depend a lot on your setup aswel though.

As for ideal frequencies to sweep, depends what your doing, have a listen to mixes that have been done using filters and it'll all become clear!

Don't worry about it man, no need to get geeky, just practise i can promise you your not going to blow subs unless you are proper stupidly thumping out. Just have a play and enjoy learning!

we-are-geeks.jpg

anyone got any tips for saving up for a bloody allen and heath mixer! Would love to know!! Had my eye on a 92 for a looooooong time :)

Was just listening to that Danny byrd set at exit and was wondering how you actually acheive that distinctive whoosh! Is it a combination of a high pass filter with fully wild resonance in combination with the LFO? Allways wondered, as I have never been able to do it as effectivly as he does on that set, the sweep also sounds really rapid....any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom