tips for new to mixing

kidbeta

hey guys,

for anybody out there patient/kind enough to throw some tips the noobs' way-

been playing with a behringer djx 750 mixer/2x numark ndx400 setup for a little while, playing with beat matching, learning breaks and transitions and using the EQ-ing and effects to accentuate things a bit. i've noticed the numark tables search function makes stuff like backspinning and double-dropping a bit awkward, though i'm certain a lot of that is my lack of skill/ experience.

haven't hung around much of any skiled, tenured dj's during their sets enough to pick up on any of their preferred tricks and am curious if anybody would be willing to suggest some tips in the way of beat matching/ mixing drum n bass tracks. i've figured that a lot of it is having and knowing the tunes you're spinning and i'd like to get some more technical clues to get more comfortable and creative.

anything would be outstanding!
thanks!

x

My best advice is to get your ass to as many gigs as possible and watch what the djs do with the pitch, the eqs, the monitors etc this way it'll give you first hand knowledge of whats happening. When I started this is pretty much what I did all the time, like every weekend to learn from club djs. And obviously practice - loads !! ;)

that's actually exactly what i'm doing! i mean it's all about enjoying it right? i've also been getting a hold of as many sets as i can from the seattle dnb forum and elsewhere just to hear how other people do things. i usually go to at least two of the weekly dnb/dubstep nights here and whatever else comes up but the band i play guitar in (i know, a guitar player in a dnb forum must be kind of lame but hey- i'm here because i like the music) has been playing more shows recently so rehearsals have taken away from my precious turntable time.

thanks man. i'll keep cracking at it!

While going to clubs is a good idea to get the feel for the tunes i listen to loads of tape packs (back in 96 - im old) and got a feel for it that way aswell. Its one of those things that youll just suddenliy get in time. Remember that you dont need to double drop everything. When i do a set its more about the feel of the whole thing at the end. Also not all tunes will go into others but that comes with practice and a good ear. Most ppl have their selected taste in musical style and a set will reflect that. Someone in this thread mention not to run 2 basslines together which is a really good piece of info! sorry this sounds confusing and i hope it makes sense..

Ive a mix i did in december in my signiture - the tunes roll together quite well. Have a listen an see if you can take any info away from it..

Back
Top Bottom