Tips for mixing vinyl in a club?

Shatner's Bosom

murder TANMUSHIMUSHI
VIP Junglist
Got my first all vinyl gig this weekend, I've never played vinyl in front of more than 4-5 people, I'm sure I'll be fine but just wondering if anyone had any tips or anything. You're meant to put the decks on slab of concrete, right?

If the stage/booth has a soft floor, don't jump around or you'll get jumpy needles and its no fun. Take your own needles.

Slow and steady wins the race mate.

I've listened to your vinyl mixes before and you've got it down. Just stick with what you are comfortable with. As [MENTION=67595]danwell[/MENTION] says the needles are important and definitely worth bringing your own if you are unsure of the condition of the setup.

Last but not least, enjoy yourself dude x

take a nice selection of tunes. I always plan the first 2 or 3 mixes then just go on the fly.. you will find that it will be less painful than people make it out to be!

Stus advice is bang on, just work within your comfort zone.

If the tune isnt in yet but you're guna miss your cue, miss your cue, don't fucking clang for the sake of mixing it in a little quicker, just wait for the next phrase.

When shit gets tricky, try and keep your cool and imagine you are at home.

I remember my first vinyl gig and was SHITTING myself, as soon as I started playing my mind just imeadiately switched off to the outside world and just felt like i was at home - Was a really weird feeling actually which i remember well.. That was fucking 7 years ago now! Urgh

- - - Updated - - -

Also check the beat matching in your headphones before bringing the fader up, using monitors on a big rig can be mega different to low level mixing at home.

This is assuming you've never played out at all of course.

selection > mixing

once your comfortable (used to take me a 3-4 mixes to relax) keep an eye on the crowd, if they aren't feeling what your playing.. drop something else. Don't worry about double dropping your finest blend. If the tune playing isn't working, just take it out and quickly throw in something else before they leave the floor. Don't worry if it wont mix very well, cue it from a breakdown and fade out etc etc. Most of the crowd wont even notice or care.

It went really well I think, half way through one of the turntables started playing up, must have been dodgy RCAs or something so when a tune was playing on that deck, no sound would come out of the monitors and one side of the main output was way lower than the other half, ended up finished the set half USB half vinyl, I'm so glad I brought the USB with me. Good times though, wasn't pranging at all once I started. Cheers for the tips etc.

Back
Top Bottom